StephenB

Rank

Non Member

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:42 am

Dublin, Ireland

Electricial questions

Postby StephenB » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:50 pm

Gentlemen,
Pardon my ignorance but I have a couple of questions that I hope you might be able to help me with.
1. Wipers - What does the filter attached to the wiper motor in the boot do and is it needed.
2. Relays - Can someone supply a schematic of the relays in the fusebox area and what they are used for in the car.

Regards,
Stephen Boden[/img]
no avatar
User

StephenB

Rank

Non Member

Dublin, Ireland

Postby StephenB » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:52 pm

Gents,
Apologies I should have stated 1989 GTA turbo. Pictures to follow once I have worked out how to post them.

Stephen Boden :wink:
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Not sure ....Noise filter ??

User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Re: Electricial questions

Postby JohnC » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:14 pm

1. Wipers - What does the filter attached to the wiper motor in the boot do and is it needed.

The "Filter" that you speak of I suspect is a radio surpressor, Can you confirm that it is bolted to the motor, and has one lead coming from it to one of the wires in the connector? If it is, it can be removed but you risk interference on the radio when the wipers are active.
I also download these diagragrams which used in conjunction with Lee`s fuse plan diag, might be of help. Note that what appears to be a relay in position 312, could well be a "Link", as it is in my Atmo, and also in BIG_MVS`s Turbo.

1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:02 pm

Will send your diagrams this week :oops:
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

StephenB

Rank

Non Member

Dublin, Ireland

Postby StephenB » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Stephen,
Result :lol:

Stephen
no avatar
User

StephenB

Rank

Non Member

Dublin, Ireland

Postby StephenB » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:43 pm

JohnC & Lee
Thanks for the diagrams. It had the desired effect of awakening Mr Dell who is to supply me some diagrams :lol:
No, the filter I'm talking about is bolted to the boot wall beside the battery and has 2 connectors on it. These go into the wiper wiring one to motor and one to car.
I have problems with my intermittent wipe not working but I traced that to the timer in the fuse/relay box. When I dis-assembled this it has a mechanical relay in it which I suspect has gone AWOL.
However I was & am mistified by what the 'filter' does. Could be a suppressor but looks far too big for that. Could be something to do with park mechanism/timing as I loose that once I try and connect it.

Thanks for the help
Stephen
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:54 pm

Stephen

Here is the Wiper cct, The Relay 113 is the "windscreen wiper timer relay" and as you said, if faulty you should loose the intermittent wipe. For info 212 = wiper motor...221 = Washer pump...

I would like to see a pic of this "filter thing"...... When you say "one wire to car", do you mean to an earth point, ie:- the metalwork of the car? As you can see the "filter" is not shown in the cct diag :(
When you say "Could be something to do with park mechanism/timing as I loose that once I try and connect it". Was it disconnected when you first found it?.....also are you saying the the wipers dont park if you connect it? and is there anything written on it?
The normal park ability of the wipers is usually built into the gearbox of the wiper motor, and looking at the cct I suspect the Alp is no different.

John
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:13 pm

Stephen,

Is this what you are talking about?

If it is, it checks out with a meter as having a couple of capicators in it at least, which I believe will act as suppressors for the wiper motor. :wink:
no avatar
User

StephenB

Rank

Non Member

Dublin, Ireland

Postby StephenB » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:25 am

JohnC
Yes, that is the very unit.
So if it is a suppressor for the Wiper motor I probably will not need it.
Checked this moring and I'm not getting any interference on the radio (FM) when the wipers are on.
I'll check again this evening on AM and see if there is any difference.

Thanks for your help
Stephen
no avatar
User

redodare

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:42 am

HIGH WYCOME

Postby redodare » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:36 pm

I have problems setting up the windscreen wiper motor after I had to strip the motor and linkages.
The workshop manual quotes 'make sure the linkages are as per diagram (no problem) and make sure the motor is in the PARK position. How do you do this?
With the motor on the bench, I have put 12v across the slow speed and fast speed connectors, whilst the motor turns with both connection , no apparent difference in speed is noticed.!
I am not sure that the internal brushes (in the gear box) are set up OK as the seem to be noisy.
When installed in the car I still only get 1 speed and no parking. Defective relay? Even though the washer pump works OK .
Help required .
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:07 pm

Relay most likely ...it sits behind the fusebox/relay panels ....I had one that filled with water from the leaky windscreen ...they knew about it at Alpine as the whole panel has a big rubber sheet covering it ...much like the door mechanisms that are in plastic bags :up

User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:36 pm

clee wrote: ...it sits behind the fusebox/relay panels ...

As Lee implied, this relay is not easy to get out due to its position and how it is mounted on the bracket ....... I find the easiest way is not to remove the whole relay, but to remove the internals leaving the relay case in place. To do this, having got access to the relay, do not remove the connector, but you will notice that the internals can be removed from the case by easing both the top and bottom long edges of the base of the relay to release the top and bottom catches, and by pulling on the connector, the internals can be drawn out of the relay casing. once removed the internals will drop down for inspection and voltage checking with the relay still connected. Once fault is corrected, simply push the internals back into the casing till it clicks back into position.
BTW, there are two fuses connected to this circuit .... 10 amp and 30 amp ..... they should both be checked.
no avatar
User

redodare

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:42 am

HIGH WYCOME

Postby redodare » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:53 pm

Thanks for that info. re the relay. found it yesterday and pulled it out. The rubber water cover was in good shape as are the relay internals with no sign of water ingress. I have already been through the fuse bit. I expext the workshop manual will give voltage details, any other tests?
In the workshop manual the assembly of the motor and linkage states ' allign the linkages as per diagram (ok) , and make sure the motor is in the PARK position'. How do I do this? Having stripped the motor gearbox to free up the commutator, I assume the park position is with the earthing brush (the outside one) located on the only connection point in its circumference. Is this a correct ?
I'll give it a try and mount the motor assy in the car and check out the relay in circuit.
Back to work on E101KUY (my RED SHED) which is not quite ready for ROOM 101 !!!
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:00 pm

redodare wrote:........ I expext the workshop manual will give voltage details,

The only diagram in the electrical workshop manual is the one I posted 7 posts back, and apart from following the 12v back from the battery, it is of little help with regard to voltages. :(
Having stripped the motor gearbox to free up the commutator, I assume the park position is with the earthing brush (the outside one) located on the only connection point in its circumference. Is this a correct ?

Yes ... that is correct. :)
PS. In fact the easiest way to find the park position is to connect up the wiper motor to its connector before attaching the wiper mechanism and if the motor is working correctly, it should find its own park position. But to double check, switch on the wiper via the wiper control stalk,and the motor should run, and when switching off with the stalk, the motor should continue to rotate then stop at its park position. Once you are happy with that .... attach the wiper mechanism.
Next

• Advertisement