mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Re: new year new car gta v6 gt

Postby mettersl » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi John,
yes I still have the prime switch...the fuel looks clear, there just isn't very much of it.... :(

I'm just fixing some other stuff at the moment, so the Atmo is having to take second place behind the broken garage door (so I can get it out) and some diving kit repairs (diving tomorrow).
Lee
User

Miles

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:06 am

Hampshire

Postby Miles » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:22 pm

Lee, check the metal fuel pipe near the front with the 90 degree bend in it. Mine had become clogged with debris. I just bent a new pipe and replaced. Its near the front filter.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:00 pm

That’s a good thought miles...it was bypassed when I got the car, but is now back in the circuit...best check it,
Cheers
Lee
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 am

Lee ...... That's a good point that Miles has made and certainly well worth checking. :up
But beware of one thing. If you dislodge debris from that area and don't remove all of it, it will be flushed through to the flow meter and its associated component parts.
Might I suggest that you identify which of the two metal fuel pipes (one flow and one return) that come through and is attached to the engine bay bulkhead ..... is the one from the pump, disconnect the fuel hose from that pipe, and slip on a length of hose so you can flush out the fuel line once debris is dislodged so you don't pass any debris through to the flow meter.
In fact it might be worth doing that first so with your prime pump you can see if the blockage, that you have got, is at the tank end or, if you have good flow, your blockage is more likely to be in the flow meter or its associated parts and pipes.
Just a thought. :)
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:48 am

I finally summed up the enthusiasm to start the clean out.
First step...drain the tank...up on ramps, disconnected first at the fuel filter...first flow was full of what I can only describe as something akin to sharp sand...and lots of it...the input to the filter was blocked but it quickly drained out into the petrol can...three 1/2 cans later (what the gauge had predicted) I have lots of petrol cans all with substantial amounts of black grit in them at the bottom.
Filters ordered as I now have petrol cans to clean too.
When I took the pipes off the tank itself, the flow and return pipes were similarly full.
I think I might be doing quite a bit of flushing before its all clear, but at least the cause is obvious, the question is where it came from. Whats rotting?
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Not sure what could be rotting if it was sand. maybe some one has just put sand contaminated fuel in it.

Flush it out, fill with good pump fuel and then check it again after a couple of full tanks. If it's clear, I would suspect nothing is rotting and that it was just bad fuel.
Well done on a resolution.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi Everyone.
I have had a look at the parts book and there should be a "last chance filter" in the tank outlet. I haven't looked (yet) but mine must be missing or was never there.
Simon Auto dont sell this part...does anyone know what it should look like? The nearest thing I can find is a filter from air cooled VW's..will that fit? There are plastic and brass versions.
Reading around the E10 fuel (10% ethanol) that I put in it in France might not have helped either as its good at dissolving things that drop out of normal petrol (these days E5- 5% ethanol) . Everything else has been E5 (as is the stuff that's in it).
It also seems that E10 only lasts 3 months if left standing, so I'm wondering if I should fit a fuel drain for winter.

Lee
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:20 pm

Hi Lee if you are not going to drive the car in the winter and lay it up all ways drain the fuel and most importantly drain the carbs.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:49 pm

If you look in the manual ..... page B28 ....... you will see the setup for the Fuel Filter being fed directly from the tank, and the fuel pump that follows it. ( top left hand corner of pic 88319 )
Don't take any notice of the fuel flow's position near the tank, as mine is situated in the engine bay.
The fuel filter's part number is 60 01 021 534.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:04 pm

There is a gauze 'filter' membrane in the fueltank outlet and also the rear catch-tank on the Turbo set-up.No others.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 pm

No gauze in mine any more...and sadly the part number is dead...not even SIMON autos have them listed.
I have bought the VW item...it should push into the outlet from under the car and be retained by the outlet hose, fingers crossed.
On the Atmo, there is a filter on the way into the first carb that protects both of them too. I’ve replaced that.
One of my spare carbs has a float chamber drain on it too. Sadly broken on that one, but it shows where to drill.
Now just have to wait for them to arrive...gives me a chance to wash out the tank and lines whilst I wait.
Happy weekend everyone....
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:39 pm

I'm off to Swansea to see The Killers :super so no alpeen shite in sight...that'll be the third weekend on the trot ...It'll come back and bite me I know :thinking
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:51 pm

PS ....... Simon Auto's list the filter as item 031008 which is in stock and priced at Euros 24.95.

Fuel parts.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks as usual John,
I have one of the main fuel flilters...and for a lot less than 24.95 plus postage...actually I bought two new ones, just in case.
However it’s item 16 on page 19.406 that’s missing...60 01 007 501 .it’s a gauze thing that goes into the tank entrance.... it depends which version of the parts book you look at...bizarrely it’s shown in the return line , but either way my car doesn’t have any. I suspect mine rotted away in the 20 year of disuse.
Sadly NLA....will have a try with the VW bits when they arrive.
Onwards and upwards...
Lee
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:19 pm

Lee ........ item 16 on page 19-406 refers to the D501 Turbo, and as you say is in the return line.
In the Atmo page 19-404, there is item "1" which again is in the return feed in the tank. I doubt if this is a mistake. I wonder if it is a non return valve in both cases ????
In page 19-404, the filter is shown between hoses 5 & 9, and the pump follows it between hoses 7 & 8.
In my view, it is very important that a decent large filter ( as fitted as OE ) is fitted before the pump as these electric pumps have the armature and brushes together with the magnets immersed in the fuel. Also remember the pump bearings are lubricated by the fuel which also keeps the pump cool. The last thing you want is dirt in the fuel being passed through the pump before it gets to the filter.
Hose insert ones would not take very long to clog up. Not all fuel is very clean as you have found in your tank.
You will have noticed that when you check out the float chamber of any carb, there is extremely fine sand in the bottom which has got past the filters but heavy enough to drop to the bottom of the chamber. So you can imagine the larger sand particles that have been trapped in the filter.
The last thing I would want is raw fuel going straight to the pump.
As you know, my Alp has all the OE parts still fitted .... and that includes a large pre pump filter.
One has to wonder, with what appears to be, a number of these Alps with no pre pump filter ..... as Lee suggests ..... this may be a case where a filter has got blocked and as the OE part is no longer available, they have simply been by passed, as yours seems to have been.
Just going back to the Turbo page !9-406 ........ The fuel filter is shown between hoses 3 & 3, which again is pre pump, which is between hoses 23 & another 3............ how confusing .... 3 x 3 hoses, but I am sure you can see what I mean.
John
PreviousNext

• Advertisement