Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:57 pm

Goodwood! Youre setting youre sights high...not sure they actually run an event there other than the speed festival and revivial.....and you need invites for both of them.
Prescott, Shelsley Walsh, Harewood and Gurston Down are the prestige events that are open to all..........but they arent necessarily the best.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:27 am

Jules, if you join the BARC (£30), PPC champ(£18) of Aldon HSA champ, you can do Lydden on April 7 or Goodwood on May 19 or both ....and more. Both are good circuits, Lydden has more run offs and Goodwood is k-ing fast, well into 4th gear just not brave enough for 5th so was well over 100 but had to keep my eyes on the road as it rapidly swept past. I copy the regs to you when they come out. One of the main reasons I did the PPC champ last year was to get around Goodwood..... and it was worth it, great day out and had trouble keeping up with an M3 and a Mazzer, being driven by a pair of retired tin top racers who knew Goodwood from the days of racing their Mark III Jags. A good crowd and covered pits too.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:30 am

Thats interesting! I take it its the old circuit in one lap sprint form? (not the hill?)
User

jules

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:32 pm

Wrotham

Postby jules » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:44 pm

cheers lads, thats me sorted then, i'd been looking at the Aldon HSA calender and they look like they visit a some good tracks...so i'm off to sign up :lol: Hope they don't mind a beginner!

Are you doing Lydden Simon? I am right up for that....devils elbow, hairy hill, upside down mini's...oh happy days ;-)
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:43 pm

I might pop over and do Lydden for old times sake... :D

When is it... and is it SEMSEC as usual.

Goodwood sprints not too hard to get an entry as I recall. Fast track, lots of run off. Careful at the chicane. 8)
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:45 pm

Sorry should have read the posts before typing... The garages at Goodwood are great , the garage number is your race number and the scrute's come around to you in order, very civilised.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:53 pm

In 2006 Goodwood was a 1 lap sprint and you got 3 timed runs.
There was talk afterwards of changing the format for 2007 to be a 2 lap sprint with split timing after 1 lap. But only 2 timed runs. We wait to see.

yes peter, sprinting uses the track used for the revival meet rather than the hill from the festival of speed.
Firsts at
User

jules

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:32 pm

Wrotham

Postby jules » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:23 pm

Mr Taylor....i'm sorted for signing up...cleared it with the missus etc and off to buy a tacky outfit!...tell me do you have a boost controller? Is that a prob with the scrutineers :?:
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:24 am

I got my race suit from demon tweeks, about £99 or something. But the same sort of thing is available on ebay for £20 (only problem is that you do not know if they have been abused when washed.... remember safety is top priority). The other place to buy new is Grand Prix Racing who are just off the Chiswick roundabout or at Silverstone. You can try them on for fitting.

When you get your RAC licence you will also get a blue book. It will have full details of what type and spec of suit is suitable/required. I'll check mine tomorrow for you. Normally the scruitineers just look at the colar and hold it up to make sure there are no big holes in it and it has 2 arms and 2 legs etc.

If you have a std car and want to run in std class, you should not turn the boost up, because you will no longer be std. For std, you are only allowed tyres which are 1 inch wider than std and you have to have original size wheels. However, for N Weald the std class, class A is only for "up to 2000cc", because that is what the organising club chooses..

However, "if" you join the PPC championship, they have a std class, Class 0 a/b for upto/above 2000cc. You will just get reclassified by the champ co ordinator. Last year there was a BMW M3 coupe in the sd class, driven by a competitor with 20 years experience, so he did well..... till the motor blew on him.

If you turn the boost up, and I have to about 14 psi, you are obliged to run in the Road Going classes. I also have non std wheels which takes me out of std and also a ChargeCooler which is very far from std.

Section Q9 says "clean flame resistant overalls must be worn. they may be manufactured from Nomex II, Proban or equivalent materials" then it goes on to list the BS stds. I just checked mine, they are branded by OMP and the colar mentions Proban.
Last edited by simontaylor on Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firsts at
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:55 am

Jules, I just reread your post.

"boost controller", probably ok, but there are restrictions about fluids running in or through the car. Probably ok as it is just "air". Thats why brake lines and oil etc must be under the car and not inside the cabin.

FIRST, you should apply for an MSA race licence, they say it takes 3 weeks and I'm still waiting, but this is the busy time of year. You can download the application forms.
Firsts at
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:19 am

Boost controllers are fine for production class (Ive never come across the standard class Simon talks about....its not a normal MSA class. Think it could be a PPC thing.)
Licences are taking about 3 weeks at the minute. My neighbour has recently received his. Yours may take longer to get if you are a first time applicant (if you are re-newing they hold all details on computer and you get sent a pre filled out form in December every year).
Dont buy a 2nd hand race suit unless you trust the person. Its not that it might not meet the standard (pretty much every proban suit does) its just that you dont know what condition its in. Old suits that have been washed a lot can be less fire retardant. A piece of my old one dissolved when I dropped a cigarette end on it.....not good!
Ring up Demon Tweeks and tell them that you want their cheapest single layer proban suit for speed events and they will sell you exactly that (they are fairly knowledgable). Ive checked the prices on E-bay for new safety equipment (helmets etc) and they arent any cheaper than Demon Tweeks, unless youre going 2nd hand.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:40 am

Peter, you are right, Class O is not an MSA offial class, it is a championship and clubmans class. There are other clubmans classes which pop up too, like "pre-1972", "pre-65" etc

And yes I agree and I did state that saftey is a top priority, s/h overalls come with an unknown history and added risk/danger.
Of course new is best.... ... a bit like s/h tyres really.
Firsts at
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:43 am

User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:42 pm

at least he won't get his toes burnt :roll:
Firsts at
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:28 pm

Ive seen clubmans classes other places....designed for the old Mallocks and Visions running nearly standard x-flows (yawn!!!! :lol: ), just not such a strict road car type class.
PreviousNext

• Advertisement