User

Renault_Spider_thai

Rank

Non Member

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:05 am

Renault Spider Turbo Conversion Query

Postby Renault_Spider_thai » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:48 am

Hi Guys

I am trying to find some info, if anyone has successfully fitted a turbo conversion to a Renault Sport Spider? or other Renault cars powered by the same engine (7FR 2.0L)?

I'm part way through a conversion, all the internal work to the engine has been done, low comp pistons, upgrade bearings, rods, head gasket etc. but there is still quite a bit of work left to do If I continue down this path.

any info much appreciated.

thanks in advance.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Re: Renault Spider Turbo Conversion Query

Postby stephendell » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:03 am

Well as you know there’s plenty of space.

You can buy a ready made cast iron turbo exhaust manifold (I have then on the shelf) or fabricate your own tubular one.

Obviously you will need an aftermarket ECU.

Plenty of people have done this to Clios. It’s easier than an engine swop to the later turbo engine as you don’t have to worry about the gearbox linkage if you keep the original.

Good luck!
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Renault_Spider_thai

Rank

Non Member

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:05 am

Postby Renault_Spider_thai » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:51 am

Hi Stephen

Thanks for the info, we have a cast turbo manifold already, although we can also have an improved manifold made up locally here by AVO TURBO if needs be, they would handle all the fabrication work for exhaust, intercooler and air induction anyway, and of course supply the turbo. ECU we would be looking to use Link most likely, unless there are any other proven ready to fit units, as of course the harness will need adapting to plug into the unit.

Do you know any owners who have successfully turbo'd their 7FR 2.0L engine's in the clios?
one of my concerns, is the standard transmission up to the job of circle 275hp to 300hp? its not going to be used for standing full bore start, used only for fast occasional road driving. the car is part of a larger car collection, can't drive them all..

we already have an upgraded Helix clutch fitted to the standard flywheel.
User

davidmt

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Postby davidmt » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:59 pm

I would be very interested in the upgrade. I already have a programmable ECU but running on throttle bodies and an airbox - suspect it would be easier to revert back to stock for the turbo upgrade.

However as Stephen says there is plenty of room and parts are readily available.

Please keep us updated.
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Postby Tony Smith » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Andy Holt had this conversion in one of his Spiders. Think there are potential gearbox issues once you get toward 300 ft/lbs.
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:02 am

Tony Smith wrote:Andy Holt had this conversion in one of his Spiders. Think there are potential gearbox issues once you get toward 300 ft/lbs.

No that was something different. He transplanted the complete F4R engine and 6 speed gearbox from a megane which is cable operated gear change.

I don’t think Jules will be taking my pointers from Andy any time soon.

The spider F7R race cars with 180bhp initially had 6 speed manual dog boxes for the first season which were upgraded to 6 speed sequential sadev boxes in the second season. Not sure what the Clio Maxi rally cars were running.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:38 am

If this is the same Andy Holt that still owes me several hundred pounds and wont communicate, then I would have trouble believing him.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi Andy's Spider turbo is real...I spent most of the first Macon rally in it with him. gear change and drive shafts were custom and quite a lot of work.
This was before Andy's change of heart on business ethics.

• Advertisement