1988 Alpine GTA 2.5 turbo starter problems?

Renault & Alpine General Discussion

Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

no avatar
User

druid3691

Rank

Non Member

Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:02 am

1988 Alpine GTA 2.5 turbo starter problems?

Postby druid3691 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:16 pm

Hi everyone,
Hope someone can advise me...I'm new to this forum as I've just bought a 1988 GTA. Bit of a project....Its been stood for a while (couple of years) but I've been assured that its been started regularly and sure enough I managed to start and drive it a couple of times last week (albeit less than half a mile!) I'd replaced the 'fan belt', replaced the engine oil and filter, refurbished all the calipers (all 4 were solid)and replaced all the brake pipes/cables. I was feeling fairly pleased with myself.......not for too long, however.
When I tried starting the car yesterday, I swiped the immobiliser fob, all ok, turned the key- fuel pump ran as usual, but there was nothing at all from the starter. With the key in the start position all that happens is, after a pause, the fuel pump runs again. Odd.
Has anybody had any similar problems? I suspect it could be an earth issue or immobilser fault- but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Andy
User

jonc

Rank

Non Member

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:08 am

Oxfordshire

Re: 1988 Alpine GTA 2.5 turbo starter problems?

Postby jonc » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:19 am

Check the wiring to the starter motor first. Make sure it's not come loose and that you've got power to the starter.
If you are getting power to the starter, it's probably worth giving the starter solenoid a tap with a wheel brace, in case it's stuck

Jon
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:40 pm

Gentle whack with a lump of wood on the starter is always a tried and tested tip on all cars, but the GTA does use a trigger wire alongside the two fat wires that take the current. The trigger has small gauge wire that connects to normal spade type connectors and that is meant to measure 12v across it. If the tabs are dirty then you won't get the full voltage and the solenoid / starter won't engage, it doesn't even try. You can unplug these and clean with a bit of emery cloth or similar and hopefully that might do it.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
no avatar
User

druid3691

Rank

Non Member

Postby druid3691 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:53 pm

Thank you so much for the replies, I’m going to try again in the morning and will post the results.
Thanks again.
Andy
no avatar
User

druid3691

Rank

Non Member

Postby druid3691 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:57 pm

Well a huge "Thank you" to Jonc & Darrenbiggs.
I found that the starter motor 'trigger' wire connector was still attached but very corroded.
Cleaned up/replaced the connector and started first go!
Thanks again.

Off to assess what's left of the chassis now and order a few miles of mig wire........
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:44 pm

Well done Andy, glad to have helped!

Get some pics up when you get a moment. Does the speedo work?
I'm just here for the gasoline.

• Advertisement