User

Martin Guard

Rank

Non Member

Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:08 pm

Bewdley. Worcs.

300 Front luggage compartment.

Postby Martin Guard » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi All. :( Anybody any ideas as to how to release the catch if the cable has broken? What l thought might be a removable access plug in the wheel arch isn't (although it looks like one).
A110 Berlinette. Venturi Atlantique 300
User

Miles

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:06 am

Hampshire

Re: 300 Front luggage compartment.

Postby Miles » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:31 pm

I can get you into a Gta bonnet when a cables break!
Not sure if the Venturi is the same configuration.

But if it is you simply undo/grind of the 3 bolts in each wheel arch, which connects the pulleys above once done, bonnet can be opened carefully enough to get your hands in.

However, If it's stuck due to cramming in to much kit, first IA is to have a companion push down on bonnet, while you operate the lever.

Dave
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi Martin

Just a thought I assume the cable has broken in a position that cannot be accessed from inside the cabin and then pulled using a mole grip? When mine snapped it broke just behind the pull lever in the cabin and I was able to use the mole grips to pull on the cable and open the bonnet, If not see below to release the bonnet.

The metal cover mentioned below will still need to be removed anyway to attach the new cable on to the bonnet catch mechanism.

Method:

Loosen the wheel bolts, jack up the car and support on axle stand, be sure to find a good strong part of the chassis for this.

Remove the wheel.

Locate the metal cover, (see yellow arrow on photo below), the cover is at the rear of the wheel arch, under the catch plate and behind the small body panel forward of the door and below the bonnet.

The cover is held in place with pop rivets, three I think, drill these out. There are no fixings between the catch plate and the bonnet so it should come away without too much effort, road grime and under seal may hold it in place.

Once the cover is removed you will be able to see the bottom part of the bonnet catch assembly, it should be obvious what to pull or push on to open bonnet.

Snapped cables can be repaired using a bicycle brake cable from Halfords or other bicycle shop.

Use the new inner cable only

Fix the inner cable at the pull lever in the cabin first

Then pass the inner cable through the existing outer cable on the car

Trim the inner cable to length at the bonnet catch assembly end and fix it to the bonnet catch assembly

Check action of cable and bonnet catch, adjust until happy. Method of adjustment should be obvious.

Replace the metal cover and pop rivet into place. Reapply under seal if required

Refit wheel and return car to the ground

Remember to take your old cable with you when you buy a new one as the end of the cable at the pull lever end has a lug of metal used to fix it in the pull lever assembly and several different shaped lugs are available.

Although your car is a 300 and mine the older 260, I don’t think there is a different bonnet catch on yours to mine but If so, it could be worth asking Philippe to ask Tony Boulet at Extreme Limite.
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
User

Martin Guard

Rank

Non Member

Bewdley. Worcs.

Postby Martin Guard » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:10 pm

Thanks for your replies, boys. Very useful.
I've heard from the Communaute that the 300 and the 260 are almost identical in this regard so.... it looks as if I've got to get down and dirty. .... or :idea: shall I leave the bonnet closed until the weather warms up!
User

Martin Guard

Rank

Non Member

Bewdley. Worcs.

Postby Martin Guard » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:26 pm

Bish, bash, bosh, job done...and actually quite easy....some squirty stuff to keep the workings lubricated and the shield rivetted/screwed back in place with some sealant and stonechip. Top tip...there's a removable grommet in the 300's shield to allow the workings to be oiled...those lovely Frenchies think of everything!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:53 pm

Well done Martin :super :super
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
User

PaulyA610

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Gloucester

Postby PaulyA610 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:51 pm

Good work that man!
Lotus Evora 400