Always Keep A Fire Extinguisher on board...

For None Renault or None Car related Chat

Moderators: eastlmark, Test Moderator

User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Always Keep A Fire Extinguisher on board...

Postby BIG_MVS » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:30 pm

1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Re: Always Keep A Fire Extinguisher on board...

Postby clee » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:48 pm

yeh but ...I wonder how many 'normal' cars catch afire everyday ....Just more dramatic when it's exotic .My unit neighbor's van door caught light just the other week ....Although it was a Master so no great comfort there I suppose
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:44 pm

Prevention is better than cure and all that. Main point is to check those old rubber fuel hoses and renew with genuine parts if in any doubt. Check round the engine bay with your nose, unleaded is pretty pungent.

Having just sat through another yearly fire safety course with East Sussex fire brigade one of the points to note is just how ineffectual your average 1 litre fire extinguisher really is. Worth having (I've got one) but unless you get it when it's smouldering (electrical fires really) and you can douse it when it's smoking plastics / rubber only then the message would be to phone the fire brigade and stand well back.

Once petrol has caught hold then sadly you probably wouldn't even get close enough to open the hatch.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Or get a plumbed in system that might properly work at the press of a switch!
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:44 am

One of my favourite cars, especially after watching the Italian Job as a kid! :(

I do carry a fire extinguisher as Venturi 200 and 260 have the occasional desire to go flambé due to an electrical fault, mine had a go at this not long after I got it. I was lucky as I was in traffic and saw smoke from the engine cover grill, I was able to pull into a lay by and tackle the problem. After turning off the ignition the intensity reduced and I then soaked a tee shirt in peach flavoured water and smothered the area to cool the wiring and deny oxygen to the area. I then called the AA and was transported home, we were on our way to a weekend away with friends, I hate to think what the outcome may have been if it had happened on the A1M at 70 mph as I doubt I would have seen the smoke!

The issue and as I said it is a fault that has happened a few times is a large wiring connector block, it gets dirty and loose with age and resistance builds up causing overheating and if unlucky flames. My auto electrician cut this out and replaced it with a more superior product, (can't remember what now), but it will take longer to remove the engine in future as it was a connector for the engine loom. Small price though when considering the option. Must remember to mention this to Ian for his Venturi rebuild.

Venturi 260 Atlantique - Flambe

[imgImage][/img]

The offending connector

[img][IMG]http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af276/paulo9112/DSCN0707_zps2f401007.jpg[/img][/img]
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red

• Advertisement