Sam G15

Rank

Non Member

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Cheshire

At last.

Postby Sam G15 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:06 am

IMG_20170527_155036716_HDR.jpg

Well after briefly owning a turbo years ago for about 1/2 an hour and lots of cars in between it was time to get one properly bought. So it was.
Drove back merrily from Derby and is now looking happy on my drive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I dunno what to write here....
Who's that bouncey woman?
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Re: At last.

Postby PaulC1959 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:21 am

Welcome to the fold Sam :wave
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
no avatar
User

Sam G15

Rank

Non Member

Cheshire

Postby Sam G15 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:15 pm

Cheers, it's interesting to drive it an I need to recalibrate my head to get the most from it. It's an atmo and so I will be doing things with the carbs fairly soon, it's quite grumpy when cold and seems to have the odd lump here and there. One of the 74 vacuum pipes was disconnect which cheered it up and it did stop on me yesterday, I think that was down to the vac pipe being off and me being on the overrun in a fairly heavy duty manner.
Sam
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Welcome to Alpine ownership.

It probably just needs using to iron out some snagging from it's slumber.

You will have to have a drive over for a brew sometime soon. :up
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
no avatar
User

Sam G15

Rank

Non Member

Cheshire

Postby Sam G15 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Howdy all. I'm busy recalibrating myself to get a good feel for the handling etc but I've a couple of incidents of sudden cut out. Both time it has restarted but not immediately. The was it does is akin to ignition being turned off. I'll go through all the wires and check connections now but would appreciate any pointers if there are common items that fail in this manner. Intermittent faults are always painful.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:45 pm

After how long a drive/hard a drive ?
Sudden cut would point to coil/control unit .No splutters?fuel related ? It's waking up after a long sleep so I'd just keep a mental log for a few trips and see if it shows any pattern .
no avatar
User

Sam G15

Rank

Non Member

Cheshire

Postby Sam G15 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:56 pm

IMG_20170604_193154070.jpg

No splutters. I'm pretty sure it's ignition so had a fish around. I found this connector was upside down in front of the carbs. It's the signal from the distributor so I think it may have been grounding occasionally. It's zip ties clear and I'll put a new cool on as a matter of course.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

GeoffB

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Postby GeoffB » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Thought you'd soon turn up here! ;)
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:26 pm

Sam G15 wrote: I'll go through all the wires and check connections now but would appreciate any pointers if there are common items that fail in this manner. Intermittent faults are always painful.

R167 ... (see below) .... is worth disconnecting and cleaning all the pins with "Servisol Super 10 Contact Cleaner Spray" ..... available from Maplins if you have not got some already.
This connector carries all the signal voltages as well as supplies for the Ignition circuit ...... whether it is the cause of your problem or not .... it is good to make sure it is clean and making good contact.

The next pic shows where the green signal wire (ign pulse) exits from the distributor ..... remove the screw holding the bracket, and carefully unplug the green cable, then again with your contact cleaner clean the pins.
As with R167, having cleaned and sprayed the contacts, reconnect then disconnect a couple of times before finally reconnecting .... this has the effect of scratching any surface corrosion that may be on the pins themselves.

One final point ...... I notice that the felt washer/bung inside the rotor shaft appears dry ..... soak the washer/bung with engine oil whilst you have the distributor cap off. ;)
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:48 am

On mine I found a burnt out connector on the coil supply resistor pack. This made the ignition very intermittent, simple fix once found, but not visible without some dismantling.
Coil normally runs at low voltage, the starter feed provides a boost and the resistor pack provides the mechanism, its bolted to the frame holding the ignition electronics...shouldn't be hard to get off and worth checking all those connections.
Cheers
Lee
no avatar
User

Sam G15

Rank

Non Member

Cheshire

Postby Sam G15 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:59 pm

Brilliant,
Many thanks for your advise, diagram and photo, I note your green signal wire has been tucked neatly out of the way, mine wasn't and a small exposed bit was potentially grounding. I will still go through all of the connectors and clean and remake them, it's an important part of making friends with a car.

Cheers!
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Sam G15 wrote: ......... I note your green signal wire has been tucked neatly out of the way, mine wasn't and a small exposed bit was potentially grounding.

From memory, the green signal wire is a screened cable and the screen is the bit that you can see in your damaged cable, and as such it would not cause any trouble if it touched any metal part of the engine as it would be at the same potential.
However, what I would do is clean / degrease the end of the connector and wire where the screen is exposed .... allow to dry ...... then put a blob of silicone sealant from the end of the connector tapering down to the cable to protect the screen from any further damage.
Also note in the diagram above ..... there is an Earth point behind the ignition module ... M16 ..... it would be worth checking that it is in good condition ...... this is the earth for the whole ignition system.
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:41 pm

It was the connections marked 108 that were ruined on my car, along with the connector on the bottom (not numbered) that feeds the coil. It's a wierd hybrid ignition system on these cars, not points, but not engine managed either.
I'm sure you can fix it easily.
Lee

• Advertisement