no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Re: A610 L790 LVR

Postby MFaulks » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:05 pm

Custard wrote:looks like the actual cables weren't really heat rated and they're relying on the outer shield

It's not, it's pvc... heat and vibration is death to pvc, plus very nasty when it burns...

£550 snots sounds good to me for the A310... if you add up the hours etc...

I think this all just illustrates the problem that is never going to be solved.. as a club we don't wish as a collective to put some of the funds, even an increased members fee to allow some funded replacement / development programme.. everyone wants to try on their own as from their perspective one resource, contact network, free time etc or another thing is cheaper, so the question is do we do things together as a community, or not bother, I think it's the later. But just imagine what could have been achieved even in the last 5 years for example... lots of false starts, ecu swap outs, brakes, suspension parts etc.. nothing really quite there... no finger pointing at all, as ultimately we are all responsible, but we don't really get behind it, so there really isn't the need or demand created to get mass... so it will just bimble along, no point getting worked up on any topic, each issue, each member is going to address individually will be as if it was the first time and cost a fortunte in real terms if you include the hours... but it won't be treading the path someone else has been, so "all good"... to caveat that there has been some real success, the water pipes that have been done by a couple, and JohnC does stirling work, but again have we provisioned for succession, and club knowledge base. I think if we put it to the test it would evapourate fast, albeit legacy posts on the forum. Sure there has been some enterprise driven work, and good to see sales going outside the UK too for some of the products, all good in my book, but that is not the community or club... I can't see an answer than popular items getting funded through the trade community, and the more difficult items to sell simply not supported or end up being prohibitively expensive... Am I wrong?
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:23 am

It seems to be the nature of this type of car and the current price point. The hobbyist owner will generally try to research or find a cheaper solution themself to either save a few £ and/or have the satisfaction of following the process through even if one already exists off the shelf. Low volume doesn't help and 10 off discounts aren't always that great for relatively big investments. Have done it before though with water pipes etc so not out of the question.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:54 pm

Well I think my Ecu had lots of error codes apart from the melting cables
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:06 am

Knock detectors?
Look a similar item to my smart, so should be easy to source a replacement.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:13 am

Yes got some from my auto factor £35 each, however fitting them is another matter inlet manifold of what a job, tubo is Conected to the manifold as well, but it was a good job I did it as the bolts holding them where a challenge to remove then clean the threads and replace. It was amazing that this engine ran, would have been a trailer back job from France.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:36 pm

For work we supply equipment to companies that make the equipment to make cable harnesses (we put the numbers on the wires you can see on the A610 harness).
Over lunch one of them told me that cross-linked polyethene wiring has been a major factor in improving car reliability as it can withstand under bonnet temperatures so the cables don't deteriorate at under bonnet temperatures.
I have always been amazed that it takes ages for these cars to cool down compared to normal cars.
The lack of through air flow from a radiator, the insulating nature of the plastic bodywork compared to metal, and the double glazing with black carpet above that is the rear hatch all contribute, so if these cars are wired in PVC, then I can see why we have problems with the wiring failing.
A610 has even less space than the GTA turbo and with a CAT will be hotter too. Sounds like new engine looms would be the best way to go.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Well I have heat rapped the manifolds and also I have bought a proper tubo heat cover on top of the covers, anything to try and get the heat down also technically it's supposed to improve the performance as it stops the gases cooling so getting greater pressure for the turbo wow!
Hopefully after all this the car will be reliable, however I think in the end it will be a new Ecu, but time will tell.
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:13 am

Postby turbell » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:56 am

Early days, but I think I might be on to something...........................................

Better a penniless free man, than a rich prisoner
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:59 am

:pray
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:09 am

I am designing the system to be entirely plug and play..................................

You plug it in and then press play.... :up

They'll be various Cassette preRecorded mAPS, available to simulate real life Alpine driving, but I'm struggling to find a source of C90s for longer trips.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:30 am

I already have a few base MAPS available but as every car is slightly different we incl some fine tuning equipment for DIY install.
130909210310-07-cassette-0909-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:38 am

Just need to nit down to Woolworths, and fetch some mapping hardware, what's good for El Tel must be good for Alpines.........

User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:51 am

Things have certainly moved on in the last decade or so ...I don't know how we used to get all this in for road mapping.
vinAmpexWalla.jpg
no avatar
User

Dave Williams

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Surrey

Postby Dave Williams » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Is this the young Mr Crowston at work...
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:09 pm

I think I have more hair now
PreviousNext

• Advertisement