Moderators: eastlmark, BIG_MVS, Test Moderator

User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:13 am

Re: E200JVV GTA TURBO Resto

Postby turbell » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:44 am

Lee ( Rats ) recommened I fitted a mech boost gauge after the wastegate issue so I bought a Mocal one for £35 plus the fitting kit which was a joke.
I wanted it to look like OE not screwed on so came up with this ....................how many vents do you need ?

Feckin thing reads -1lb at rest though! supplier said ' they all do that sir it'll settle down sir' ......I think not!
Max boost is about 9lb ( 10 corrected for the incorrect starting point ) so I may be able to wind her up a couple of pounds safely now I am rid of the Ecu bodge ?
That's it up to date, few niggles to sort, warming up is a little lazy so stat might get a new one, poss ECU temp sensor issues as I am getting the warning light when its not anywhere near hot.
Paint on bonnet is shocking and top of wings, though rest is pretty good, will get full paint when pennies are saved and I want the car healthy first.
Usual Gta niggles, speedo, fuel gauge inaccurate, I'd like to keep the head unit but add an Ipod plug, I 've lost all my Beegee tapes :up
That reminds me every young blokes got a beard these days...............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY
I have got new wishbones for one side at the front, so I can do a side at a time, .............. I'd like more go go so bigger turbo ........MoFo modded ECU.....................dreeeeeeeam, dream, dream, dream, dream,dreeeeeeeeeeam...........................
Better a penniless free man, than a rich prisoner
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:06 pm

turbell wrote:Just spent an hour winding up this story to date, phone rang and it must of logged me off cos when I went to submit it I lost the feckin lot!............... :hang

I don't know what Martin's Ctrl C does ....... but when I write up a post in a forum portal, I always preview before I submit (amazing the mistakes you find which you don't seem to see in the portal), but before previewing or submitting, I blue out the text and copy ..... now if for some reason it disappears, all I do is reopen the portal again, and paste the copy in. :up .....
If I do a particularly big technical article, I do it in Open Office (any other document producing app will do) even pics from photobucket can be copied into the text.
Once finished and checked ... and saved ... Blue it out, then just copy it into the forum's portal, you then can preview .... if it disappears again, the original is still available.
I have found this invaluable as some of my posts can be quite lengthy (as some of you might have noticed :yawn :yawn :yawn ) and takes me ... with 1 finger ... quite a long time.
This works for me. :up :up :up
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:37 pm

turbell wrote:SPEEDO UPDATE !
.........any thoughts?
Where from here O wise one ( John C, Clee, anyone..?)

Ok Ryan ... I think you are going to have to send me the speedo board for checking on my test rig. But before doing that it might be worth checking that the actual speedo is working. Below is a pic I sent to another member who wanted to see the speedo running for some reason or another, but all you need is a 6v battery ... hand torch type ... Locate the small 4 pin connector and detach from the speedo board, and apply the negative of the battery to the black wire (pin 1), and the positive to the red wire (pin 2). It should read about 110 mph.
From the pic you will see that I attached the clip leads to two pins and stuck them into the connector, but if you have bare ended wires, just touch or slide them under the connector pins. I think it would be worth checking that, but I will PM my address to you, but I would ask you to pack the board in something like bubble wrap/cotton wool as there is a particularly vulnerable component that if damaged, you throw away the board :down .... it is the thin resistor array about three quarters the way down the board that runs from side to side. Having wrapped it carefully, find a suitable hard cardboard box to put it in. Lets see if we can get this board going. :)
John

no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:26 pm

turbell wrote:I 've lost all my Beegee tapes.......

That's what Ebay is for!
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:23 pm

I ain't paying top dollar for old tapes, they 're probably listed as 'cool' and 'retro' these days with a feckin cool price, my son has blown fifty quid on an old Nintendo Gameboy 'cos it's 'cool' and 'retro'.
He even put some games on his Christmas list..............no way I says, £20 for a manky old games cartridge!
Now what is 'retro' is some of them thar tight ass trousers Maurice is rockin' ..........might get me a pair of them for when I'm out in the GTA,.....complete with vacuum packed party sausage and two sprouts.......mind thinkin' A310 is a little more in keeping with the era.....
Speedo tested JohnC all well with that, I think, batts were four LR6 on their way out, showed 5.9V together, thought best keep current low for safety, didn't want to hook it up to the 750's 80 amp 6V battery.
That's the fastest it's gone in twelve years, and definitely the furthest !!
Looks like I'm sending a parcel to Jersey, :up
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:43 pm

I never spend more than £1.99 per tape.
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:08 pm

turbell wrote:Looks like I'm sending a parcel to Jersey, :up

:up :up :up
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:52 pm

JohnC wrote:
turbell wrote:Looks like I'm sending a parcel to Jersey, :up

:up :up :up

Tee Hee! Imagine the luxury of not looking at the rev counter and glancing to check what gear you're in and reading the mind table of 'revs in ? gear = X mph ' every time you spot a rozzer or a speed camera, and if I can get the fuel gauge something like I'll know when to put fuel in instead of ' hang on, I put £30 in on Saturday, and I went there and that was ten miles then I went there but I put my foot down............so...........erm' :Cheer
Thanks John, you're a superstar ! :pray
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:43 pm

John, on this point, can you do recalibration for change in diff ratio and rolling radius change with big wheels?

Thanks,
Martin
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:43 pm

MFaulks wrote:.John, on this point, can you do recalibration for change in diff ratio and rolling radius change with big wheels?

Martin .... there is no electrical recalibration adjustment on these boards, but there is nothing to stop you finding out the error by comparison with say, a GPS, and pulling the speedo needle off, and putting it back on allowing for the difference in reading. I have had to do this when I have had to remove the needle to get to the odometer for repair ..... you may have to do it a couple of times to fine tune it, but it is not difficult.
The best way is to slacken off the top of the binnacle so you can remove the perspex front, put the binnacle back (just place) and you can then do the adjustment,
I suppose the easiest way is .... on the road ..... find a convenient rev say, 2000 rpm in 5th gear, see what the GPS reads, then back in the garage, jack up the rear, run engine at 2000 rpm in 5th gear, pull needle off, and push it back on at the speed thr GPS showed .... job done. :up
Hope this helps.
John
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:23 pm

Thanks John, good idea, think I will do that. You will be pleased to know the relay mod worked out for the coil pack, cheers Martin.

Ryan, appologies, don't wish to hijack your thread, thanks.
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:22 am

Just a small thought Martin, but most speedos were designed to over-read back in the day for fear of legal ramifications if you got caught and blamed the car manufacturer. Oddly if you have traditional needles then they still tend to a bit but digital displays tend not to - I remember reading an explanation as to why, but I can't remember the details. (Susan's digital speedo on the C4 is a dead match to GPS +/-1mph)

Anyway try it with GPS on the road and see what you get. Change to 17inch wheels adds 10% or so, so around the same as the normal over-reading of a period speedo. Weirdly mine is now bang on up until about 80 when it starts to under-read.

(Sorry for the continuing hijacking but thought it might be relevant to some others)
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbell » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:06 pm

No problem, hijack away, it's all relevant.I was thinking about getting a GPS speedo if probs continued purely for rozzer reasons and the speedo in the 750 is not accurate, it'll go off the clock ( 80 ) which I think is a bit optimistic on the standard gearing.
I thought I could check and see how far it was out but then remembered it's 6v so throws up power issues.
Still all being well I'll have a working speedo in the Gta, a niggle ticked off the list hopefully.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:44 pm

A little dc-dc conversion brick, such as the below should give you all you need to power 12V instrumentation, simply solder up the wires to the pins and mount it away under the dash:

http://uk.farnell.com/tracopower/ten-5-0512/dc-dc-converter-12v-0-5a-dip/dp/2451548?categoryId=700000004422

Martin

User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:47 pm

turbell wrote:I thought I could check and see how far it was out but then remembered it's 6v so throws up power issues.

Check with a Battery powered Sat Nav. :up
PreviousNext

• Advertisement