User

turbohead

Rank

Non Member

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:17 am

Re: Martin’s PRV bone yard…

Postby turbohead » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:34 am

Martin!

Where do you find all that interesting stuff, thanks for posting, vids are a pleasure!
I'm still finishing the single seater, because i really want to race a bit as soon as possible! But the GTA is burning in my head, manifold stuff already on the bench (since weeks :crazy ) GTA still in the wrong garage to take the gearbox out...but i will push it forward soon :!:

Have a good week
Chris
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi Chris :-)

Glad to hear you are ok :-) Headers, well I guess you just have to do them :D Do you want a scrap head to use as a jig? Will that help you, and also help with your motivation? :up

PRV stuff, well there is loads out there, a few more pages of stuff yet :-)

Keep smiling :-)
Martin
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Noble P4 avec PRV V6 moteur

Postby MFaulks » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:34 pm

Well here's a thing of beauty, the front end of Chris T's Noble P4 replica with the PRV 3ltr even-fire EFI atmo in the back... ummmmmm

... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 pm

Is that a kit? Someone drives one of those in the opposite direction to my commute, summer months anyway...pretty.
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:45 am

That is indeed a thing of beauty. Beige Formica 1970's era old kitched cupboard on the left. Class in a glass! Just like I have in my garage.

More pics of the Motor!
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:07 pm

mettersl wrote:Is that a kit? Someone drives one of those in the opposite direction to my commute, summer months anyway...pretty.

Yes it's a Lee Noble P4 replica, and yes supplied as a kit or semi built, I think there were low numbers built originally by Noble, then taken over by NF Auto Development. This particular on is chassis 8 or 9, forget which. The Ultima Mk3 (GT40) shares the same chassis, so some serious piece of kit.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C472918#
http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1992 ... 4-replica- sold for £38k...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOZ0Xi1jKmY

I like it, well outside anything I can afford, but Chris has had this one 20 years... and now looking forward to getting it out this summer, we should be good for that :D

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:15 pm

BIG_MVS wrote:That is indeed a thing of beauty. Beige Formica 1970's era old kitched cupboard on the left. Class in a glass! Just like I have in my garage.

More pics of the Motor!

Ok here you go... creeping up on it to not scare it away... lol... I think the induction noise is going to get a bit tiring, but hey ho! :arrow:

Soon to be running on a Renix 3A ecu, will keep you posted.

Martin

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

réglage du moteur de la performance PRV V6

Postby MFaulks » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Well been getting on with JIL's bottom end assembly, but looking back, this was the start of it going back to page 12 of this thread... yikees, where has the time gone! :axe

MFaulks wrote:.
... back to engines...

1. 3ltr even-fire bottom end, later stronger 24V rod and fastener, 24V n/a piston machined to a flat top, and shorted pin with aluminium spacers giving a much reduced reciprocating mass. So a tweaked OE bottom-end that I have enough spares, so no cry if it breaks. The block is of the oil squirter variety, and this chosen mainly to keep the OE pistons within their thermal limits on long full power runs. Liners and pistons all machined, deck honed, and a piston ring set has been made up to ensure good ring seal with sufficient thermal capacity to be pushed into forced induction duty. This will be topped off with modified 3ltr heads and a roller cam setup. So it should be yum yum... and then possibly bang, but you've got to have an oil pan failure every so often to know you are alive!

The 3ltr is getting a twin AP Racing clutch basket and a modified OE flywheel, as there is no expectation of road manners...
Cranks off being machined and balanced to their respective assemblies, the rest of the bottom end assemblies have already been completed.

etc...

Well that was the parts for JIL's engine, and finally it is starting to come together. Built the bottom-end assembly with Clee up at RATS the other weekend, leaving some more head work to finish off, but largely the bulk of it is coming together now. Compressor for the turbo has been sleeved to the Garret turbine, to make up another faulksie hybrid combo, back plate machined and dry build to make sure the assembly all goes together and this is now off for balance.

The 3ltr block is from a Z7X, and interesting note that the casting has been changed to add material around the cylinder head fastener threads, now no longer open but blind.

Oil squirted block… help the OE cast pistons survive an endurance event, as above, 24V n/a pistons being pressed into turbo duty, crowns now machined flat…

Machining work on new valve guides completed, material selected for the additional heat loading to give the valves and seats an easier time.

On a separate note, I have been looking at some other compressors to hybrid, prompted by John Wheeler, and this little compressor is pretty capable unit, CNC machined. Further, by the looks of it, could be made to work with a T3 shaft, and indeed, without too much loss in efficiency may even go in a Super 60 or 50 trim cover… now there’s one to try, so anybody up for giving it a go / test?

Compared to Darren’s old cream crackered Super 60 trim unit to give judgement of size…

Take a bit of work, but could be done. I might sort a turbine of the plain bearing type to be able to make up a suitable hybrid, and need a suitable patient to try it on… any takers?? I think this would be quite interesting… :pint :D

Cheers,
Martin

no avatar
User

dallarax19

Rank

Non Member

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:44 am

Postby dallarax19 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:02 am

Just an update on my rebuild. Got the valve seats cut and the flow checked in one cylinder. I did not do a before and after study so the information is just reference but it is cool. I was hoping for greater exhaust port flow but I think I am done tweaking it.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sun May 25, 2014 11:21 am

Hi Brian,

Great to hear you are doing well, and making good progress too. Have you got the engine assembled now?

As to the flow data, can you email me an Excel of all those numbers? I will add mine for the various combinations and the OE numbers for the before numbers, be good to see the data all together.

Cheers,
Martin

no avatar
User

E M Wynne

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 07, 2007 5:30 pm

Postby E M Wynne » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Martin,
The time has come for me to start building my inlet man. similar to the 1 I built for Chris...on the 24vl. head as you know ,the inlet port is not central to the O ring grooves as in the 12vl. Can you post a picture off an inlet port on your spare heads & include the dimentions...ie...you sent previously 43.2mm wide x 36mm high without injecter groove...whats the dimentions inner & outer of the 0 ring groove... distance from the bottom of inner 0 ring groove to the bottom off the inlet port..I,m having ally plates cnc. machined to suit the head dim. & the rather unusual shape of the Toyota TB...you can buy plates on e-bay but they are 45mm. round & that is not the profile I,m looking for.
Cheers Eddie.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi Eddie, ok will do, talking the 24v head? May be more effective to get you a stencil, then you could measure all you like

no avatar
User

E M Wynne

Rank

Non Member

Postby E M Wynne » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:28 pm

Martin, Good idea...from that I can measure the position off the inlet mounting studs...on to Jill...does anyone in the club make copies of the fibreglass rear windows in the engine bay...would help with eng. bay cooling.
Cheers Eddie.
User

Miles

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:06 am

Hampshire

Postby Miles » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Eddie,
Speak to John Law, From John law engineering .
He does them, there was a picture of one somewhere.

Dave
no avatar
User

E M Wynne

Rank

Non Member

Postby E M Wynne » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Not to hijack Martin,s thread...but thanks Dave ...sent a message to John.
Cheers Eddie.
PreviousNext

• Advertisement