User

E M Wynne

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 07, 2007 5:30 pm

Re: Martin’s PRV bone yard…

Postby E M Wynne » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:54 pm

Martin,
Does Chris still work in the same job...been trying to contact...getting no reply.
Eddie.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi Eddie,

I haven't done the needful yet; time... will hopefully do it at the weekend. Chris, no he got made redundant, I’ll send you his contact details. He’s waiting on me at the moment, my trace eprom emulator died, and I can’t do anything until I get this repaired, a little frustrating for both of us. As soon as that is sorted, will be able to get back and do some setup.

Regards,
Martin
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Whilst having a bit of a bash on JIL's heads, my atmo 3ltr project has received some attention, and have a very nice over-size valve combo massaged (inlet is ++ the OE 3ltr 46mm) into the chamber to work with the larger 93mm bore.. tested for flow and wet fuel distribution... I will team them up with Mikuni triple throttle bodies :-)

I will post up the flow results when I pull the data together with Brian's previous above, as he kindly sent me the Excel of his results and DMC. Will be interesting, and will retest the OE 24V as a bench mark comparison. I have measured the 24V data already but will verify again as a back-to-back. Get some idea of the value of both approaches.

Cheers,
Martin
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:36 pm

Quick picture post, this caught my eye on the web.... looks a very nice piece of kit competing on the hills, PRV out back as it should be:

A few things happening, finishing off JIL's heads, and these have been a bit of a pain, some self inflicted issues when I had the valves made, now have a very interesting valve train setup in terms of parts... to coin a phrase, parts off another engine I love have come to the rescue... well also another V6, and a straight 6... so a real mix ;) ... a real Faulksie combo... JIL's turbo is coming together, except I had forgotten I needed to match up the compressor cover to the Mitsu compressor.. hence some more Canadian wood turning techniques to be deployed... more later... :wave

Martin

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi all, well been stuck with only a few hours here and there to get on, so progress has been slow. I have all the airflow stuff and comparison data to come back too, and will do in due course. I have, however, been working on F50 and the various issues to get it sorted - rebuilt the turbo with a new turbine, increased the axial clearance etc (stayed with the Super 57 trim comp wheel than dropping down to a 50 trim after much consideration), and now have that sorted as it boosts like a scolded cat - will detail in my F50 project thread. Then moved on to a D502 ecu that was cutting the fueling on boost above 1 bar, and then injector drive circuit issues on the old Renix phase 2 board kept me busy and hunting for a while. Thanks to both Tommy and Roman (yes a blast from the past... and more on that later, as Roman's mega sequential turbo beast is real I have the proof...some folk chased the gentleman off this site... fool them... as it's running Motec etc etc and very serious bit of kit... anyway I digress) I was able to sort these one by one. Thanks too go to Philippe (MacFly) for working on the Fenix viewer compatibility with the D502 ecu as well, so that I could get the real ignition and injection timing out. Some of this I'll likely put up on my Renix ECU project thread, but later when I'm done. But having addressed all of these I was still getting hesitation as the boost swung from 1 bar round to 1.x bar, and further only present around peak torque, so started thinking about ignition and the rather fragile capability / capacity we have in the Renix system and single coil pack module... I have yet to put this to practical test in the car, but I thought I would let you into some of the experiments I have been doing on the bench.

So I thought firstly I need a load to safely dump the coil secondary energy into, measure the current waveform and capture on a scope. Then see what capability the base coil pack driver unit can actually drive without failing, and then test a number of styles / types of coil to see whether I could improve upon the OE setup in terms of spark energy / power with no detriment... and the answer is...

Bench setup with the Renix D502 ecu, OEM coil pack driver unit...

Ring of death load... shooting spark energy straight into it...

OEM coil...

New coil, pick of the bunch... you have to look at the numbers, they are not absolutes as I'm measuring currents etc, so it's % change that counts... area under the graph stuff...

Coils tested in this little experiment:

... is YES!

So, ok what did you find faulksie... 1.. well for the OEM setup, make sure you have a good OE capacitor (little black box and flying lead) fitted with good connections... and 2.. yes a tuned coil of higher power can be driven from the base unit successfully, and matching to the right coil I found 25% increase in spark energy, as the above scope pictures show, both the peak current and average current are up, where the average is really the burn energy of the plug once the spark has formed. I'm well happy with this result, and will be giving it a blast(!) when fitted to the car in the next week :D

Let the sparks begin...
Martin

User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:43 pm

don't forget to connect 't batt :Butt

User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:55 am

Top work Fauklsie!!

So what you are saying is if you have a new coil pack lying around fit it as a course of action?

Is that one of those Cheapie coil packs I found on ebay there in your pic? Is it OK?
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Postby Tony Smith » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:41 pm

I'm sure that's for a DeLorean above, prototype Flux Capacitor :crazy
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:11 pm

It's a very small Stargate that Martin's been working on..... he's been training up his hamster for months now. Like a tiny furry version of Kurt Russell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by darrenbiggs on Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Postby Tony Smith » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:17 pm

Can he read ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics? Otherwise he won't be able to reactivate the Stargate the other end :0)
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Nah ,he looks more Russell than Spader so just needs to know the codes for the nukes .He's a suicide rodent on a mission from hell :Mass
User

John Law

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:41 am

London

Postby John Law » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Nice work Martin! Could you say you found any difference between the Mallory and the MSD coils?

Cheers
JL Engineering UK, follow us at facebook.com/jlengineeringuk.
twitter- jlengineeringuk
instagram- jlengineeringuk
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:06 am

:-D LOL

I've got to hand it to you, that's bloody funny :-)

BigM, yep the cheapie OE replacement coil works fine, meets OE spec (so no performance improvement, but more importantly no loss either!) and they are made by NGK, well certainly the one I got. So I would use one no problem on an OE setup. And yes I think I got it through your link a little while back, so thankee :-) As to would I change it, personally just for the sake of it probably not... bit of a pain in the asp to get the darn assembly out. The base amp module is pretty rugged, but looks like the potting ages, shrinks, and cracks; results in damp inside the electronics... the coil should be good unless it gets cooked, or over voltage spiked by leaving the plug leads off and trying to fire it up, otherwise it's not or shouldn't degrade. Both the fixed and coil contacts oxidise and degrade, so any swapping improvement may simply be down to mechanically cleaning the contacts on removal and fitting.. I didn't try and confirm that as I cleaned mine up at the start. Hope that helps...

John, I understand the question, but I can honestly say this test doesn't really shows this, or indeed provide an apples to apples comparison on that level to enable a fact based conclusion. Reason and problem is all these coils are designed for specific driver electronics, and this plays a huge part of the equation ie give different driver electronics or even points drive you would see yet again a completely different set of results. I didn't do that in these tests as I was limited to a constant of the OE coil pack electronics, and this suited driving some more than others; horses for courses. So it may well be that an absolute weaker coil from those tested, in this setup gives the best result. All good fun, nearly fried the cat a few times though :-)

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:03 pm

Well I have got to do a bit more investigation into the coil driver units, as I have found differences, and had made the fatal assumption they are all the same as they look the same... I had thought it was only the presence or abscence of the tacho o/p connection being the difference, but not so and need to test more different examples.

This is the potting at the back of the module, and suspect heat degradation and cracking / shrinkage letting in moisture is the route cause behind many ignition issues:

On the point of testing the various components, I thought I would test all the different "OE" fitment TDC sensor options you can buy from Ebay from the cheap to the expensive to see if there were any prefered options, and indeed, what substitues could be made; principally, as it is a common failure and weak point, further I wanted to know if much of the issue was down to heat cycling demagnetising the back-bias magnet. To this point I could do with some more "failed" units to test, so if you have got any known not to work when fitted then do please send them over and I will check.

I was only interested in those options with the same mechanical fixing, ignoring the cable types, and outlet angles as these could be accommodated:

I then checked the field strength in mT, and the polarity ie if the connections need to be swapped to get the leading edge polarity of the timing pulse correct.. further, compared figures for all the new items against some old original Renix items I had than the later Siemens. The results were quite interesting.

User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:32 pm

I think I've still got my old duff one from years back. I'll check tomorrow Martin as I've just bought this and want to plug it in:

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS%205.0
I'm just here for the gasoline.
PreviousNext

• Advertisement