User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Re: new year new car gta v6 gt

Postby clee » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:09 pm

We have to weigh up the costs involved ...OK if you are doing it DIY but my time is money :D ;) Same deal goes for trying to save the old one .Trying to rescue or modify parts is fine if you are the skilled home builder as your time is free .
Certain parts are always a pita ...steering rack mounts being the worst one I fear.I have spares on dead cars but will take hours to get out and may end up as useless as the others .I know the Spider rack and mounts are almost identical as I put that setup in JIL but ......even then the mounts need some mods to make them work on GTA .
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:27 pm

I know what you mean but some parts are becoming rare, and also old even if unused, the rubber will past its best. The mod is simple once you have done one, and it fits in a treat. I will see if I have any pictures of it.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Custard,
Did you use the Mx5 master cylinder too?
New mx5 (genuine) serve looks to be similar cost to the Simon Auto's cost. I haven't looked at alternatives yet
The cross member and shaft mods don't look too bad, but I don't like the idea of engineering the master cylinder to servo mount...that looks to introduce more failure points. I know Rupert did it, but removing the reservoir and fitting the MX5 master seems a safer mod. Bigger servo that way too.
Anyone able to say why the atmo and turbo servos are different? (Clee, can you see the difference?
Feeling poorer by the day..,this car is going to land up costing more than I got for my 610...I must be crazy, but I will be very tidy, if slow!
At least the rear subframe looks good ...in its original white for a small time longer.
Lee
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:40 pm

I can't see or understand why there would be any difference but will look at them side by side and see if anything shouts.The rest of the system is identical so apart from lump :thinking
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:21 pm

No you keep your master cylinder it fits straight on, all you have to do is cut the pin down as it protrudes too much, so you cut it down to the length as stated in the manual for the GTA. The mounting bolts are rotated so you have to drill the holes in the frame so that The master cylinder is in the up right position. You then remove the rod that goes to the pedal from the old servo and thread it on to the new servo. I can't remember you might have to cut it shorter or weld a nut on. I am looking for pictures, once you've done one it's easy and it's far nicer when you drive the car.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:15 pm

Looks like the rack mounting brackets are NLA from anywhere..7700677601 and 7700659159...looks like you might need to cut the cross member (that's probably just pulling hard next time) to release them undamaged... :thinking
Used on Spyder, A610, GTA, Fuego and ren 18.

Did mine come off in one piece?
Definitely two different servos, everyone has both parts separately(Renault, Simon, Mecca) ...all horribly expensive.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:44 pm

mettersl wrote: ..........(Renault, Simon, Mecca) ...all horribly expensive.

Remember the good exchange rate at the moment and not having to go to the cost and trouble of modifying ...... give or take a pound or two, the Simon Auto one comes in at £290 plus p&p. ;)
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

turbell

Rank

Non Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:13 am

Postby turbell » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:26 am

I know what I'd be doing...........as a proud tight asp northerner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Mazda-MX ... 566c47ba2c

I was lucky enough to nab a NOS servo that matched the old one visually and had the remains of a 60......part no. on it, but have no idea whether it was Turbo or Atmo , but beggars can't be choosers, and for £100 I thought it was worth a stab, no issues braking wise, so it's either the right one or the wrong one and it doesn't make any noticeable difference.
If it's just the studs that are snapped off, get it blasted up and I'll have a crack at welding some threaded bar on.
Better a penniless free man, than a rich prisoner
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:25 pm

If you do go for the mazda servo, I have some spare adaptor plates for the attachment of the stock GTA master cylinder.
No alteration of the servo or master cylinder required

Page 4 of this thread...

http://www.renaultalpine.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4747&hilit=mazda+servo&start=60
Last edited by rupert on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:26 pm

Should be able to repair old one economically :up
WP_20150806_003.jpg

Crossmember repairs underway .
WP_20150806_019.jpg

WP_20150806_017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Well after the shock, I'm glad that the old holey cheese of the cross member is being replaced successfully....I think I'm glad I asked Lee to look at it...and now looking at the pictures it looks like it should be possible to get a camera in from underneath in the centre without too much dismantling...aside of the undertray...if anyone else is feeling brave.
Now onto the shopping to reassemble it, I'm looking around at water hoses.....Mecca parts have a set for £160 (also available from ART) , Classic hoses a set for £333 and simon autos a set for €433. No idea of the Samco costs.
Each set have different hoses in them....and all exclude the heater hoses, but the real question is whats the quality like...has anyone used any of these sources?
Thanks
Lee
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:42 pm

mettersl wrote:Now onto the shopping to reassemble it, I'm looking around at water hoses.....Mecca parts have a set for £160 (also available from ART) , Classic hoses a set for £333 and simon autos a set for €433.
Each set have different hoses in them....and all exclude the heater hoses,

Lee ..... You got me thinking as I have been thinking about changing all my hoses to Silicone as well. Having looked at your references, and noting your comments above, The Simon Auto collection does in fact include the heater hoses. If you look at the pic below, the hose in the middle of the top is one of them, and the "S" shaped one, lower centerish, third from the right is the other one.
429 Euros inclusive of VAT comes in at around £313 ..... give or take .... plus P&P..... and in stock.
And before you ask .... No, I am not one of his agents, but he does offer an excellent service albeit slightly expensive. ;)

Cheers

John

User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:02 pm

Thanks John...
I have a list of items that is growing and there is a "from mecca parts" and "from Simon autos" list so maybe Simon Autos list gets another (big) item.
With a new rad, recent water pump (and head gaskets) and pipes, it seems silly not to go the whole hog.
I was never going to make any money on a rebuild, more how much more than its worth can you spend, but at least the car should be exceptionally sound at the end. Whenever that is.

At least you get the set ex vat too...feel free to try one out before me... :up
Lee
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:19 pm

mettersl wrote: ....... At least you get the set ex vat too...feel free to try one out before me... :up

Yep .... around £258 to me, :up but I most probably will have to add 5% GST as that amount is over the limit for not having to pay GST for imported goods :( :( :(
At least Simon's prices are inclusive of VAT, :up ..... but not Mecca Parts prices. :down
John
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:24 pm

I may as well say it as it is but I had mixed results with the hose set I bought from Simon Auto for the A310. The set for the GTA may be perfectly acceptable but for the A310 I had problems.

The two hoses from the water pump to the cylinder heads were totally wrong in terms of angle and wouldn't fit. Fortunately the old, original hoses were reusable.

The hose that connects the water pump to the flow divider was too large in bore size which had me taking the carb assembly off twice to cure the leak by eventually fitting a locally bought, smaller Internal diameter silicon hose.

Another hose connecting to the water pump was too small in bore size so took a lot of effort to fit.

The small hoses around the carburetors were the wrong shape, but just about usable and their wall thickness was too great causing fit-up problems.

The other hoses were acceptable but overall I'd give the kit 6 out of 10.

You might not have a problem with the GTA kit, but that's my experience for what it's worth.
PreviousNext

• Advertisement