JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Re: new year new car gta v6 gt

Postby JohnC » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:32 am

johnb wrote:
Johnc wrote:I have overcome this by fitting a priming relay with a manual switch (a redundant one on dash switch panel) which does two things.
One .... priming before starting ..... Two, ..... should the pump relay that senses the cranking fail, I can just use the priming switch, which is a latching type, to run the pump and get me home. ;)

Presumably this means that you've added an electric pump in parallel with the mechanical pump to do the priming, or have I missed something?

Hi johnb
The GTA does not have a mechanical pump, it only has an electrical one.
All I have done is taken an "after ign" 12v through an extra relay then a 3amp blocking diode straight to the electric fuel pump. The relay is operated from one of the redundant switched on the dash with a flashing diode built into the switch button.

1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks for the clarification Stephen and John. So presumably it must have a run inhibit somewhere to stop it running until a running condition is met such as engine speed above x rpm? Always something new to learn.
1970 A110V85 and 1980 A310V6.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:54 am

johnb wrote: So presumably it must have a run inhibit somewhere to stop it running until a running condition is met such as engine speed above x rpm? Always something new to learn.

The GTA Atmo has a sensing relay that is energised when it senses ign pulses picked up off the ign coil when cranking or engine running. Once receiving these pulses, the relay supplies voltage to the pump. In the event of an bad accident and the engine stalls, the pump stops the fuel supply, to avoid fuelling a fire which may have started.
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks John.
1970 A110V85 and 1980 A310V6.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Stinks of fuel when cranking, so I've assumed its ignition. Sounds like I need to investigate further.
I used to have an early PI car (and an a610) which ran the fuel pump for a few seconds when when ever you turned on the ignition, then cut it until you had ignition pulses. Sounds like that could be a useful upgrade. When I get that far...
31/2days of work and I feel like I'm still scraping the surface. Have started working from the front backward, have reached the windscreen, but still have a couple of jobs foreword of that to do too once I find the missing parts, At least it's some progress.
Interior had a good clean and looks quite nice.
Lee
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:36 pm

88BC5604-34C0-4178-95ED-5F9C0EA9D9C1.JPG
I'm trying to work from front to back systematically, until I get stuck and have to get parts, when I go further back.
Another two days and I now have one door in, adjusted and working window, with interior in and seals (I'm amazed how much has time fitting out a door takes, this one was empty when the came back from the painters.
Other door also fis and opens properly, electric window works but connector needs a little more attention.
Now I have a small problem, I'm hoping those in the know might help with.
Left and right on the door mirrors is the wrong way around on both. Wires on the looms attached to the motors as labelled on the motors themselves.
Is this a known rhd alp issue, which wires do I swap?
Also switch in the door seem to be 45 degrees to vertical...again is that normal,for a GTA?
Now expecting this to be ready some time in the autumn....there is so much to do....
But it's comping together slowly

Lee

Ps it still won't start either, but that's at the back.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Dave Williams

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Surrey

Postby Dave Williams » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:50 pm

Last week i had to tighten/reseat my mirror switch..I had the switch aligned vertically ... with the wiring terminals ( on the switch) uppermost..that worked for me
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:52 pm

It's come a long way since Turbodog found it.

Keep at it, you will get there in the end.

gta_ab11.jpg

gta_ab10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks Martin,
I didn't have those pictures of it.
As you say it's coming in. I'll get there in the end but probabaly after this years club season at the current rate. Should be a good one when finished. Interior does look good now it's (mainly) clean, headliner still to go in.
Cheers
Lee
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Sat May 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Small steps further on ....screen washers now reinstalled and front cross bulkhead, take and breather etc but most importantly I have fitted the new brake limiter at the back, bled the brakes and now we have a way of stopping that doesn't say london brick on it.
Handbrake tomorrow ( I had to remake all the brackets on the bottom of the car) then maybe investigate why there is no spark at all.
Small steps whilst trying to ignore the yellow 610 sitting at the bottom of the garden. Now have a home for that under cover at at storage facility, so hopefully I can continue to focus on getting the GTA ready for an mot.
I'm searching for a few small bits that have got lost or broken along the way so....if anyone has ....an interior light, hub cap bolt (1), the atmo wiring tidy up box from the engine bulkhead, atmo idle solenoid mounting bracket, atmo sump temperature switch they are willing to part with please pm me....
Cheers
Lee
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Thu May 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Well while brakes are now working, the engine is still not running, but now I have spark consistently, so I'm looking again at timing.
Here's an odd question I hope someone can help with...has anyone tried washing the heat proof bag for the spare wheel..mine is dirty but not ripped. I'm wondering whether a bucket wash or the washing machine might get rid of some of the oil.
Still looking for some bits to finish it off, if you can help....list in previous post.
Cheers
Lee
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Thu May 18, 2017 9:46 pm

mettersl wrote: the engine is still not running, but now I have spark consistently,

Lee ....... Just a small but important point as you have had the carbs apart, if you go to page B35, there is a special note about the spring clip and its correct positioning. If it is not in the position as shown in the diagram, the engine will not start.
I am sure you have got it right, but just in case, it might be worth checking.
John
no avatar
User

Alan Moore

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:04 pm

Brisbane Australia

Postby Alan Moore » Sat May 20, 2017 10:29 am

mettersl wrote:Well while brakes are now working, the engine is still not running, but now I have spark consistently, so I'm looking again at timing.
Here's an odd question I hope someone can help with...has anyone tried washing the heat proof bag for the spare wheel..mine is dirty but not ripped. I'm wondering whether a bucket wash or the washing machine might get rid of some of the oil.
Still looking for some bits to finish it off, if you can help....list in previous post.
Cheers
Lee

I sprayed mine with cheap degreaser, let it sit for 10 minutes, and then hit it with the water blaster (Gerni) at a bit of a distance using a wide spray. Came out quite well with still some light marks showing, but a big improvement with minimal damage. The bag might be a bit harsh on the agitator. My son had seen where others had used the washing machine to clean their football boots. So he put them in the Fisher & Paykel, and broke all of the lower fins on the agitator. Another $65 to replace.
GTA V6 Turbo
Renault 4CV 16TS Power
BMW 2002 Tii M3 Power
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Sat May 20, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks Alan, I'll try that.
Had the fist signs of life from the engine this morning, looks like it might have been a fuelling issue...just not fully primed.
Exhaust back on and now I'll play a little more.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Sat May 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Alan Moore wrote:
mettersl wrote:Well while brakes are now working, the engine is still not running, but now I have spark consistently, so I'm looking again at timing.
Cheers
Lee

I sprayed mine with cheap degreaser, let it sit for 10 minutes, and then hit it with the water blaster (Gerni) at a bit of a distance using a wide spray. Came out quite well with still some light marks showing, but a big improvement with minimal damage. The bag might be a bit harsh on the agitator. My son had seen where others had used the washing machine to clean their football boots. So he put them in the Fisher & Paykel, and broke all of the lower fins on the agitator. Another $65 to replace.

no agitator in our machines!
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
PreviousNext

• Advertisement