User

blueg33

Rank

Non Member

Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 pm

United Kingdom

Which to go for Coilovers or Turbo Mods

Postby blueg33 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:54 pm

For about the same price I can go for gaz coil overs lowering the car slightly say 30mm or larger turbo, bigger injectors, high lift cam and a remap giving circa 250bhp.

Which is the best one to spend my money on?

car is a GTA turbo.

Do coilovers improve handling?, Can standard spec car handle a bit more power.

I cant decide, please help
Ginetta G33, TVR Tuscan, Audi A6 Quattro, Subaru Outback. Blue GTA Turbo

"If everything feels under control, you are not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:20 pm

User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi Nick. You can fudge it with a 'chip' which really just lifts the boost limit out the way for 100 odd quid and will get you 220-230 according to to most people who've tried it if all else is good.

Anything else and you'll be well beyond the cost of new dampers so I'd go for those if you want to see a return on your money.

Drive the car and get to know it first (and find the gremlins) before you start looking for extra power otherwise you risk chasing your tail.

Suspension's a dead cert for improvement though as 20+ yr old dampers are bound to be tired. Standard ones are DeCarbon and very high spec for their time, it's just time and mileage that cause them to lose their edge.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:43 pm

My recommendation would be to avoid doing the external £100 ECU "chip" mods, they don’t modify the calibration – fuel and ignition maps, as usually a higher pressure fuel regulator is required to be fitted to match the increased boost, however more times than not, it leaves your engine leaning out top end, and rich as a bit ch low down. But Darren is right, it's worth thinking of what you want to achieve overall having assessed the things you need to do immediately.

http://www.renaultalpineownersclub.com/ ... s&start=15

The brick wall over-boost cut can be defeated for a lot less than £100, but on its own is not progress as above. There are better and proven calibrated solutions available.

http://www.renaultalpineownersclub.com/ ... &start=210
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:11 am

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:52 am

get the coilovers on and sort gremlins out so its reliable, then think about tuning it as said above.....

• Advertisement