User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

RAOC in Motorsport

Postby Tony Smith » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:31 am

This is being discussed on the engine weight thread in general discussion but I think its about time we firmed things up.
Who would be interested in taking part in any of the following on a regular or Ad-hoc basis
Sprints at various locations around th country
Hillclimbs at various locations around the country
Drag Racing at Avon Park or Santa Pod
Brighton Speed Trials.

Feel free to add specific events to this list.

Peter you know what are good events up North, what should be included?

Obviously where the majority of people wanting to take part are, will determine what events are attended but the aim is to spread throughout the country.

We'll devise some sort of points scoring system - including incentive points for taking part, with some sort of prize for winner, most events attended, most improved etc.

We maybe able to piggyback onto some CAR events if they're willing and vice-versa - they have had a well run competition scene for a few years. Andy may also be able to sort out a foreign event or 2 for the calender.

So what do you think?
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:42 am

Top :idea: ..........How many points for marshalling :?: .....
Would like to see some circut racing as well as sprints/hillclimbs
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:30 am

Yes, circuit racing too..

Maybe worth conjoining with the members from the RTOC as they do quite a few trackdays through the year with UKtrackdays.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:39 am

Circuit racing would be good, but things start to get really complicated. You need to attend an ARDS course and actually qualify for a licence and the safety standars are a lot higher...i.e. things like plumbed in extinguisher systems, external cut off switches, 6 point cages. Sprinting and hillclimbing are straightforward. Licence (medical declaration only) £35, helmet £100, single layer proban suit £100, mark on/off next to ignition, working seatbelts, valid MOT and thats it for the production class (obviously you can do more stuff and I would recommend some form of gloves and boots)......moving up a class to mod. prod and the only extra things you need are a four point cage and harnesses.
Entry fees for sprints and hillclimbs tend to be about £70-100 each so a full season will only cost £1000ish (entry fees only of course....but even with the equipment and travel, food etc you are looking at under £2000)
circuit races start at £150 and go up.....and the fuel and other expenses will be higher.
The CAR championship is defunct because too few people did it.....I'm not sure that reviving their idea in what is essentially a smaller club would work.
How about setting say 2 or 3 dates for everyone to meet up and do 3 quality events. 1 North, 1 South and 1 in the Midlands....that way people might actually do the events. At the end of the year we could see if more could be added for the year after. We could all have some good weekends out without overstretching things.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:08 pm

Can't it be run as a track day type event :roll: ..........Don't want to many rules and regs, it's not a serious competition and I'm sure most will not want to risk damaging cars ,theirs or others :lol: Got to keep it cheap ,no one is going to turn up if they have to spend a fortune to play ...........
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:11 am

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:04 pm

clee wrote:Can't it be run as a track day type event :roll: ..........Don't want to many rules and regs, it's not a serious competition and I'm sure most will not want to risk damaging cars ,theirs or others :lol: Got to keep it cheap ,no one is going to turn up if they have to spend a fortune to play ...........

I agree, I'd be circuit racing now.... if.... i had the time to do all the preparation.... get to the events etc .and the backing as it can cost an arm and a leg especially if you destroy an engine or gearbox! £1000s ( done it already) a fellow race spider owner has been pushing me to Join his race series for a couple of years now.... and I still haven't got round to it!

As Peter has said above you need to do an ARDS test..... plus you need to do 10 events and finish them! to get a full licence and get rid of your black cross!

I suggest also we start with a few track days and then think about something more complicated in the future...... walk before running theory comes to mind.... I think everyone in the club would love to go racing if they had the time and money but it just won't happen overnightor in a few months to be truthful.
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

All good points

Postby Tony Smith » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:09 pm

Good constructive feedback, thats what I like. If we picked events with good facilities we could coincide a club meeting with some motorsport. I think a couple of trackdays (unofficially timed maybe) would have to suffice for circuit racing as the regs are much stricter for proper events. Sounds like a good day out. Sprints are pretty safe as long as you use a bit of self restraint and of course drag racing is safe as houses.

Who can recommend a circuit or 2, i've not much experience but Lyddon Hill is pretty good.
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 16, 2004 10:49 pm

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:57 pm

I did the Ty Croes (Anglesy circuit - as used by 5th Gear) track day a few years back, when CAR organised the tour of Wales. I thought it was a pretty good compromise for novices and pros alike. Not too long, but not too short either. It's fairly central and maybe quite handy for our Ireland members. No idea how much something like that costs to hire though.
GTA V6 Turbo - BTW check your earths!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlpineGTA
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Re: All good points

Postby Alpineandy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:17 pm

Tony Smith wrote:and of course drag racing is safe as houses.

Except for clutchs!
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:04 pm

you need to find a circuit which is cheap to hire in the uk...... look for one which is not owned by Jonathan Palmer.....and hire it mid week..... but then you have the noise restriction problem..... varies from circuit to circuit... and if you're using a custom exhaust just hope it's not too loud!

UK trackday rules....... no overtaking on bends......etc sorry but very boring...too expensive. and ott with all the rules. you want something close to the race experience and able to use timing equipment you've got to travel out of the UK. and with the tracks being more abundant and cheaper to hire ...... you've got Zandvoot, Zolder, Croix, Abbeville, Dijon, Francorchchamps..... I could go on, you could hire the Bugatti circuit at Le Mans if you get enough participants (bring your own burger van though!)

I'm in the process of setting up some trackdays over here aimed at the british market for all types of sports cars, for some of the reasons stated above ( motorsport vision for one)
User

LiamMcShane

Rank

Non Member

Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:39 pm

Shenzhen, China

Postby LiamMcShane » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:58 am

Or you could just come over here and go to Aghadowey circuit. (My mate runs a racing series and trackdays there)
'88 GTA V6 Turbo

http://www.perfect-display.com.cn
Perfect Display Technology Company Ltd, Shenzhen
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:14 pm

LiamMcShane wrote:Or you could just come over here and go to Aghadowey circuit. (My mate runs a racing series and trackdays there)

Got a website for it so we can see the layout Liam?
User

LiamMcShane

Rank

Non Member

Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:39 pm

Shenzhen, China

Postby LiamMcShane » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:45 pm

http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/Europe/aghadowey.html

Not the greatest layout map, but it's close enough. The back straight isn't as straight as it looks, and the turns are quite technical. The bottom corner is scary in the wet, cos it tightens quite a lot and before you know it you're facing the wrong way with a red face! :lol:
'88 GTA V6 Turbo

http://www.perfect-display.com.cn
Perfect Display Technology Company Ltd, Shenzhen
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:43 pm

I could get us a class at the Teeside sprint on bankholiday Monday in May or August......I would need to be sure that enough people had the licences and were going to turn up. There would even be a trophy!!!!!
no avatar
User

A610GA

Rank

Non Member

Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:28 am

Tywardreath Cornwall

Postby A610GA » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:13 pm

I am a little bit confused. When I have done track days in the past I have joined an alleged club, paid a fee and turned up for a briefing complete with crash helmet at some ungodly hour of the morning. After that there have been noise tests (especially at Goodwood) and then a number of cars have been let loose on the track for 15 minute sessions under instruction not to race ha ha! A serious lunch has been provided usually based on sausages and beans and in the PM we have perfected the process then gone home rejoicing (some if unlucky or foolish, on the back of a recovery truck). Seems like a good way to spend a day to me. Why can this not be done again?? Someone update me. . . . :shock:
Driving an A610 is just so sublime.
Next

• Advertisement