Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Wanted A610 Front Towing Eye.

Postby Bazzer501 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have for sale a front towing eye...think that's what its called. The one that screws into the hole in the front bumper for towing purposes.
The thread on the one that I have is partially stripped and whist it screws in OK I wouldn't be confident about it holding safety....should I ever need to be towed or transported on a trailer...always a chance...!

Any offers?

Cheers, Barry.
Yellow 1993 Alpine Renault A610
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Re: Wanted A610 Front Towing Eye.

Postby mettersl » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:44 pm

Sadly mine is like that too.....
Lee
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Good luck with that Bazzer.

Best take it to a friendly scrap yard and get them to try and match it up with one from a scrapped car.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Why not cut the eye off the damaged towing eye, and weld ... or have it welded ... on to a new thread off a correct size bolt with its head cut off........ :up
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:37 pm

A quick google brought up several possible suitable ones on Amazon, eBay and elsewhere. As I don't know the thread size you'd obviously have to check that.
1970 A110V85 and 1980 A310V6.
User

The Saint

Rank

Administrator

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:55 am

Rugby Warwickshire

Postby The Saint » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:13 pm

Mr Dell borrowed mine at the NEC when the RAOC van clutch broke... ( Still waiting to him to return it! )
But if it fitted the club van, then it should be quite easy to order one for a van, that will fit the A610.

I have also been informed to never use the tow hook thing, as it sits at a strange angle when fitted, ( pointing downward, not out inline with the car. ) and then, when you get towed, it bends and you cannot remove it!! ( maybe why yours has a damaged thread?? ) Just thought I would pass that little bit of info on.. Just so you are aware, incase you ever have to use it and cannot remove it later.
My advise would be, only tow from the rear on to a trailer. Its a pain to get at too, as you have to remove the front number plate to get at it.
Don't you just love these cars!!! :crazy
The Saint.
Blue A610,
Black Smart Roadster.
SmartEDElectric Drive
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 am

Yeh, but a towing eye probably meets a regulation for certification.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:11 am

The Saint wrote:Mr Dell borrowed mine at the NEC when the RAOC van clutch broke... ( Still waiting to him to return it! )
But if it fitted the club van, then it should be quite easy to order one for a van, that will fit the A610.

that is a pre 2013 traffic van as the later traffic vans have larger threads.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
User

The Saint

Rank

Administrator

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:55 am

Rugby Warwickshire

Postby The Saint » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 am

Hi Simon,
Yes it may well do, but this is what I was "advised." Yes it works! and gets you moved, but be prepared for when you try and remove the tow eye... thats all I am saying.

BTW thanks for the update on that Mark..!!
I know you brought your tow hitch along and it did not fit,, ( being the newer van one ).
The Saint.
Blue A610,
Black Smart Roadster.
SmartEDElectric Drive
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:57 am

It pulled my Blue 610 out of the ditch I put it in years back. It depends how solid the crash bar is behind the bumper.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Postby Bazzer501 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for all of the replies. I left my towing hook in place since the last time the car needed putting on a trailer which was some years ago purely for convenience as yes, it is a pain to fit.
I have only removed it as I currently have the bumper off as I'm replacing the radiator with a new aluminium one from France replacing the battery tray which was badly corroded and much easier to access without the bumper and 'hopefully' getting my air con condenser repaired or, if not replaced (with what I know not what yet) as the Valeo condenser on the car has two holes in it.Incidentally when I removed the condenser I found the remains of a Starling in it and the whole top of the condenser was full of feathers...poor thing! I would say that on average every third bolt or torx screw was rusted in and snapped off or needed angle grinding off and drilling out, the joys of a 26 year old car
( I also want to change the Receiver/Dryer so looking for a suitable one of these. The current one fitted is an EATON Model 460 ( Made in Canada) and still available from Canada via E Bay but the postage cost will be as much as the cost of the unit!

The Saint, (I have also been informed to never use the tow hook thing, as it sits at a strange angle when fitted, (pointing downward, not out inline with the car) and then, when you get towed, it bends and you cannot remove it!! ( maybe why yours has a damaged thread?? ) .
Correct...lol, mine has a slight bend in it too as well as a partially stripped thread. The plate the hook screws into is fine, no damage there.
I'll follow up the possibilities of using a van towing hook and feed back if I find one...cheers, Barry.

Towing Hook.jpg

Towing Hook Connector.jpg

A610 Condenser.jpg

Ready for flushing through..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:07 pm

That A/C receivcer drier go on EBay Renault old stock about £35/40 just check the input output are correct.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:28 pm

I think the receiver drier also fits a REN 25 and some Jag XJ6 you might have to have one without the window on top. When I have my first 610ac fixed, the ac man had one in stock. Definely not a610 only part.
The part number is 7700711904, it’s the same on a gta, suspect Renault 25 and espace 2 will use the same parts and will be easier to track down.
This site in france lists the Renault 25 one...in different brands...looks the same to me.
http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/receive ... _g851.html
Espace 2 part looks the same and is 20-30 pounds uk sourced. For example
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2703752457

I’ll have a look and see what the current car has.
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

(Sourced) A610 Front Towing Hook.

Postby Bazzer501 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi all,
As ever thanks to everyone for your help and advice with this including eastmark, JohnB and JohnC.

After some research I subsequently found out that the towing hook thread size is M16 x 1.5 so I contacted a number of sellers on E Bay asking if the towing hooks they were selling were this size, and at least one was so I purchased one from them.
Overall the towing hook is 25 mm longer than the standard one which means is sticks out that much further when screwed into the towing eye. It cost £15.75 including postage and this is the link to it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tow-hook-rin ... 2749.l2649

The photo below shows the new and the old towing hooks:

20180224_165725.jpg

On my car the thread where the towing hook screws in is damaged so I'm buying an M16 x 1.5 tap to clean up the thread properly before screwing the hook in completely...so another small job out of the way...!

Cheers, Barry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Re: (Sourced) A610 Front Towing Hook.

Postby JohnC » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Bazzer501 wrote:Overall the towing hook is 25 mm longer than the standard one which means is sticks out that much further when screwed into the towing eye.

Barry ...... I think you are going to have a problem with your new longer towing eye. As the towing eye is longer, there will be even more leverage on it when being towed because of the towing angle and its length, and the fact that you will not get the support of the large flange at the bass of the thread like the old one.
I can't help feeling that these original towing eyes are getting damaged due to the fact that they are being cross threaded when being screwed in because of the strange angle that they are fitted.
Looking at the pic of your old damaged one, I suspect ... as you cannot see the threaded plate that they are to be screwed into .... they are being offered up at an angle not perpendicular to the plate which is easily done. But the thread is catching but is being cross threaded. I then suspect that because they feel tight, something like a screwdriver is being used through the eye and tightened up till it is tight. But because it is cross threaded the towing eye is not being wound in fully thus not allowing the large flange to come up against the plate. If the flange was up against the plate, the towing eye would not be able to bend the thread, as the flange would be supporting it.
From you pic of your old one you can see that the first half of the thread has been crossed, but the second part up to the flange is in good condition showing that the thread was only partly screwed in .... and that is why it got bent.
It is for that reason that that will happen to your new towing eye even if you don't cross thread, but use up all the thread correctly. Because there is no flange on your new one, the shaft will bend as it has not got the support of a flange to stop it bending, due to the angle your tow rope/bar will be pulling at.
I think the lesson here is that the towing eye should be screwed in by hand and not by any type of lever, until one knows that it is not cross threaded ... then fully tightened so the flange is up against the plate ...... that means, of course, the thread in the plate must be cleaned and greased to make sure it does not rust up.
Anyway .... that's my opinion for what it is worth ........ but finally, it might be worth contacting Renault to see if the towing eyes are still available. The part number is .... 60 01 024 195.
If the 610 towing eye is used on other later Renault's, then Renault should have the superseded number cross referenced.
I hope this is of interest to 610 owners. :)
John
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25

• Advertisement