User

policeman442

Rank

Non Member

Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:12 am

Wanted

Postby policeman442 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:37 pm

I own a GTA Turbo on a 1987.

I have just tried the passanger window and the thing stuck half way down, Ive checked the switches and they're working correctly, so I assume it's the motor. Has anyone got a spare one tucked away that they're willing to sell.

Cheers for your help. :(
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 16, 2004 10:49 pm

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:33 pm

Are you sure it's the motor?

I would recommend you take the door card off and check it. My passenger window used to stick half way down. When I removed the door card to check the motor it was working fine. The motor is atached, via a cog, to a worm-drive cable, which runs backwards and forwards inside a plastic tube and it's this action which winds the window up and down. Turned out my drive cable was snapped half way along. So the window would wind half way down but wouldn't wind back up!

If this is the case, unless you can source a second hand one, you have to buy a new mechanism from Renault. This includes a new motor and the cable mechanism. Mine cost £113+VAT!

But if it is your motor, I still have my old one if you need it. It was working when I removed it in August to replace with the new mechanism and motor. I can post it to you to try first if you like. Only trouble is, I couldn't remove it from the old mechanism (with snapped cable), which is obviously what you'll have to do if you want just the motor and your cable is ok. One of the bolts holding the motor to the mechanism is seized solid. I couldn't free it. You may have better luck freeing it if you want me to sent it to you as is, still attached to the mechanism.
GTA V6 Turbo - BTW check your earths!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlpineGTA
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Its usually the worm drive

Postby Tony Smith » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:39 am

This is a regular with GTA's. If you take the door panel off you'll find the cable like drive that turns in the motor will be very corroded. You may be able to cure it with a good clean and regrease but it will need replacing if its too far gone
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
no avatar
User

policeman442

Rank

Non Member

Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:12 am

thanks

Postby policeman442 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:26 am

Tried all your suggestions and even had a mate in the trade strip the motor down. Still not working.

Any one still got a spare? :oops:
no avatar
User

dermotj

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 10, 2004 10:43 am

Postby dermotj » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:39 am

if i recall correctly these motors are in renault 25 as well but the mechanism is different - maybe of some help
User

mitchella

Rank

Non Member

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 am

Penicuik, Scotland

Postby mitchella » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:45 pm

Same on 5GTT also - had a mate who stripped the thing out and used a needle to remove built-up carbon dust from the gaps in the commutator and it worked fine afterwards. All the duff ones I've seen have corrosion between the motor body and the little bi-metalic overload switch. I've assumed that this adds to the resistance of the motor with the result that the motor draws too much current when called to wind the window up and it simply cuts out before it gets going. Winding down is fine because the weight of the window helps the motor.

In an emergency (it's invariably pishing down when the window stops half way down!) you can sometimes coax them to work by having someone pull the glass up while you press the button - not much of a long term solution though.
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:52 pm

I've got one I'm pretty sure, at least, I have two doors so I guess the motors and stuff are inside...I'll check and pm you.

• Advertisement