User

steveatyork

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:16 pm

York,UK

car wont start

Postby steveatyork » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:43 pm

HELP the other day i started the gta up but after 5 min it ran out of petrol so 2 days later i put some petrol in and went to turn it over and the damn thing wont start so ive undone the metal fuel pipe and petrol sprays out of the when ignition is on so that seems ok then i took the king lead off and touched it to a nut onthe rocker cover and nothing not even the faintest spark i have also checked the wires to the ignition module they seem fine the only other wire i cant find is tdc does anyone know where its located?or does anyone have any other possabilities because i havent a clue now :( :roll: :?:
Renault Spider, Marcos Mantis, TR6...
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 16, 2004 10:49 pm

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:43 pm

Can you hear the fuel pump relay clicking (situated under the flap between the rear seats by the ecu) and the fuel pump priming?

When mine wouldn't start the other week, it turned out to be the connections on the two wires going to the solenoid on top of the starter motor (spade connectors). I cleaned them up with a bit of emery paper and wd40 and it's been starting fine since.
GTA V6 Turbo - BTW check your earths!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlpineGTA
User

steveatyork

Rank

Non Member

York,UK

Postby steveatyork » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:53 pm

yeah i can hear the fuel pump working dont really think its a fuel related prob as there is no spark its just wierd that it ran out of petrol then when i filled it up it wouldnt start
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:24 pm

air lock, maybe ???
maybe not, the pumps are at high pressure I think?
are the plugs wet with fuel, then you really know that fuel is getting into the chambers?
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:43 pm

Hello everybody, he's saying he's not getting any spark :lol:

Steve, how do you know you definately ran out of fuel, as in down to nothing. Could it have been this same problem with sparking, and it just happened the fuel level was really low and you just put it down to this?

Look at the right hand bank of injectors, and there is a beige coloured sheilded cable running to the back of the engine. There will be a two way connector in the middle of it. This is the TDC wiring, the sensor is located on the back of the engine on the bell housing, situated underneath the righthand manifold link pipe to turbo.

Check the plug and connector. Any use of brake cleaner in the engine bay causes the wiring sheilding to disintergrate in the seconds, so the check it isnt touching the inlet manifold.

Other think to try, is check the voltages and earth at the ignition module. On the 3 pin plug you have 12v, earth and tach output, the other 2 pin plug is a 5v + - to fire the module from the ecu. Check the voltages on these pins while cranking the engine.

Have you any immobilisers on this car??

Also, above the ecu, there are two relays, one for fuel pump, one for ignition system. Check them both.
User

steveatyork

Rank

Non Member

York,UK

Postby steveatyork » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:07 pm

right i got the tdc sensor today and fitted it but still no spark when cranking the engine :x when the auto electrition came round he tested the old sensor and said it wasnt pulseing and said its deffo the tdc sensor so now im lost i havent a clue what the fault is any ideas also the turbo is of the car and bits of vacume pipe that wouldnt cause it not to spark would it
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:30 pm

The ignition relay, located below the ECU would be worth looking at .Mine went wrong and the car wouldn't turn over .Would give similar symptoms methinks :?
User

steveatyork

Rank

Non Member

York,UK

Postby steveatyork » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:53 pm

the car turns over and i can also hear it clicking the relay that is im really stuck now coz the sparkie said theres no pulse from tdc sensor so that had to be it obviousely not :( looks like i will have to get him out again
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:44 pm

Sounds like you actually need someone else!!
User

steveatyork

Rank

Non Member

York,UK

Postby steveatyork » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:09 am

will a diagonostic tool find the fault eg like the one dave g has or does the car have to be running :?:
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:17 am

I dont think Davids diagnostic will cover it.....it only checks the sensors. You may just have a broken wire somewhere in the loom. David will no doubt be back on line today and may beable to provide some guidance!
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:16 am

It may be worth getting the same guy out again, just to do exactly the same test he did on the old sensor. If he has no reading again with the new sensor, then you definately know he's testing it wrong rather than it being a duff sensor.

You then need him to check the things I mentioned in the post at the top, such as the ignition module voltages and impedance, even check the king lead...

Check the TDC connector for continuity across both sides.
User

steveatyork

Rank

Non Member

York,UK

Postby steveatyork » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:22 pm

cheers dave
swapped kinglead still no spark hes coming to have a look at it tomoz so i will tell him to check what you have mentioned,thingers crossed :roll:

• Advertisement