purches graeme

Rank

Non Member

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:50 am

Tauranga New Zealand

GTA Window frame adjustment

Postby purches graeme » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi all
I now have my repainted '90 blue GTA back after its total respray.
However the rear upper window frame on the left door is a tad too high, effectively holding the glass out a little when the door is closed. Dropping the window a shade helps, but does not entirely cure this. It was like this before it went in for the respray, and the panel and painter guys had managed to adjust it, but after a few openings of the left hand window it has reverted to where it was.
I understand there is an adjustment procedure to align the frame, and to limit the upward travel of the window glass.
Does anybody have any documentation on this proceedure, or any helpful advice you can share with me?
That aside, the car is looking fantastic!
Cheers

Graeme
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: GTA Window frame adjustment

Postby Custard » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 am

Door adjustment is challenging sometimes, firstly does the rest of the door have an even gap along the bottom and front and back, you will never get this totally perfect but it should be pretty good.
If it is not then you have adjustment on the hinges in two ways, metal packers that you can add or remove behind the hinge plate, the door can be tilted buy just easing off the bolts and moving it in or out top or bottom. There Is an adjustment screw under the top hinge for up and down but I have never had to adjust them ever.
Have you checked your hinge pin movement, there should not be much and they are prone to wear, plus have you checked the integrity of the hinge plate that is bonded into the door as they delaminate, and also the door pillar on the car as they can rust. There is no point in trying to adjust the door if any of the above has a problem, as it will never fit properly.
no avatar
User

purches graeme

Rank

Non Member

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:50 am

Tauranga New Zealand

Re: GTA Window frame adjustment

Postby purches graeme » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks Custard
The doors both fit really well, even gaps all around. My black car had delaminated on the pillar, and that was all fixed and strengthened. This car is absolutely perfect.
It is just the trailing top edge of the window frame that is the issue. This was sitting a little high before the car went in for the repaint, when they had the door off of course. If you wind the window down it fits in a little better, but is still slightly high.
After paint and reassembly, they adjusted that and got it right. But after using the car for a couple of weeks, the problkem has come back.
I have acutally got the door panels off the black car at the moment, because the hood lining and door card trip foam backing had disintegrated, I have had new cars made, and the whizz that did that cleaned up both the hood lining and the door trims, commenting that they were really good fabrics in very good condition apart frok being a little grubby.
I will see if I can figure this out on the back car today, while I have the panels off.
Cheers
Graeme

• Advertisement