no avatar
User

jagcat12

Rank

Non Member

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:01 pm

A610 air con clutch

Postby jagcat12 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Re my problems with air con not working I checked what I should have done in the first place.THE CLUTCH doh its not engaging
I do have a wire and plug not connected to anything hanging down the side of the compressor has it anything to do with compressor?
see attachment. Once again thanks in advance

Dave g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Re: A610 air con clutch

Postby mettersl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Dave,
Sorry if this is a silly question but does the system have pressure?
If there is not pressure, the system stops the clutch engaging.
You can measure this at the fill points or the switch built into the pump itself.
Have you measured the electrical signal coming into the pump. I'm sure its just a 12v signal, so easy to check. Is there continuity from the red wire to the casing/earth?
My previous 610 had a small amount of gas, enough to start the pump, but no cooling. When it was regassed, the dirt in the system blocked the receiver drier and locked the compressor (Magnetic clutch stalled). A degas, regas and a new receiver drier and the system ran well.
The 610 compressor is a scroll type (GTA are piston) so as long as it turns, doesn't leak and the non return valve is OK, it should function. The clutch is just an electromagnet around the input shaft.
The empty connector beside the AC compressor looks like the oil level, oil warning light or oil pressure connector to me. I cant check on the car as its at RATS.

Good luck
Lee
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:34 pm

The 610 compressor is a scroll type (GTA are piston) so as long as it turns, doesn't leak and the non return valve is OK, it should function. The clutch is just an electromagnet around the input shaft.

Depends on how worn it is and what the clearance is on the scroll. Mine seized solid and snapped the belt. It was so worn when dismantled there would have been no chance of it compressing anything.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Stephen,
Was that on your 610?
If it snapped the belt, then the input clutch or its bearing must also have been rusted solid.
If the clutch is OK , as it should be on a running car with no AC function, even if the scroll was seized the pulley should rotate. Engine will struggle to start with a seized compressor and clutch, so it must have stood for a while.
On my 610 the system blocked and jammed the compressor but the magnetic clutch just slipped and everything looked fine..just no AC.
You can check for a free clutch by rotating the centre of the pulley by hand with the engine stopped.
Has anyone found a source of Sanden spares in the UK.
It seems mad to import from the USA and pay 3 times the cost for shipping.
Lee
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Postby r5gordini » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:47 pm

And you can check for pressure by taking the cap off one of the schrader valves and depressing the centre bit - much like a car tyre valve. If you hear a hiss, there's gas in the system. Just do it very briefly as you don't want to lose any of that precious gas!

Andrew
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Oh and if there is gas, you can jump the compressor by supplying 12v to that wire but only run it for a second or so. No gas, no fan running at the front, you could do some damage.

Then if that's all fine, you need to look at pressure valves, electrics, etc., etc.

Andrew
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:51 pm

And if you want, bring it to me, we can look at it together! I have experience with troubleshooting the AC - you're only half an hour from me... Send a private message.

Andrew
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:01 pm

mettersl wrote:Stephen,
Was that on your 610?
If it snapped the belt, then the input clutch or its bearing must also have been rusted solid.
If the clutch is OK , as it should be on a running car with no AC function, even if the scroll was seized the pulley should rotate. Engine will struggle to start with a seized compressor and clutch, so it must have stood for a while.
On my 610 the system blocked and jammed the compressor but the magnetic clutch just slipped and everything looked fine..just no AC.
You can check for a free clutch by rotating the centre of the pulley by hand with the engine stopped.
Has anyone found a source of Sanden spares in the UK.
It seems mad to import from the USA and pay 3 times the cost for shipping.
Lee

Yes, on my 610. The clutch appeared to be operating correctly and the system had recently been re-gassed but compressor seized internally following a long run, maybe the clutch seized at the same time from the heat.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart

• Advertisement