User

Jeremy

Rank

Non Member

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Northern ireland

Engine cut out gta turbo

Postby Jeremy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:48 pm

While taking the car around local roads today, after a few blips in 2nd and 3rd, I suddenly lost all power , engine stopped and came to standstill . The engine wud turnover and not fire. I opened the engine bay, very hot, and allowed cooling by breeze. Still turned, no fire. Left another 5 minutes, and suddenly fired without hesitation and drive home.... any ideas?
no avatar
User

Dave Williams

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Surrey

Re: Engine cut out gta turbo

Postby Dave Williams » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Could be Crank Position Sensor/TDC sensor...these can do strange things when hot.

I also had some other ignition faults when hot. (The contacts in big white connector to the ignition module would break when hot...).. In my case the connector was a pit old and brittle and I suspect part of the problem...but the TDC sensor would be the gut feel...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
no avatar
User

Dave Williams

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Surrey

Postby Dave Williams » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:03 pm

This is the non Tapatalk link to a previous similar discussion.

viewtopic.php?t=5037

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:47 pm

As Dave said, TDC is the classic for this scenario but the coil pack itself can also act up if it's getting old and breaking down. Again usually when hot.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
no avatar
User

Jeremy

Rank

Non Member

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Northern ireland

Postby Jeremy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:20 am

by Jeremy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:12 am

Hi all, I have looked at this thread and also spoke to Renault parts... the guy wasn’t born when my alpine was made! Lol He was able to give me the part number, they are available but not in uk or France. £75 +vat.
I’m fairly certain it’s the same as the Renault 25 turbo, so have ordered one for £15 to give it a go. Any thought thoughts?
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:27 am

The only thing to watch on these is the heat shielding...especially on the non genuine ones. GTA installation is probably hotter than ren 25...and you will have fun fitting it.
Martin Faulks will comment (hopefully) on the differences between performance of different brands as he's normally a font of knowledge on these factors.
no avatar
User

rustfreetiresgood

Rank

Non Member

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:39 am

Postby rustfreetiresgood » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:40 pm

I also experienced this, would start and run quite well for 15 or 30 min, then begin cutting out and getting progressively worse, especially at low rpm. And if the motor stopped, it generally couldnt be restarted. But cool it down for maybe 10-15 min, and it would start right up again and run well. Rinse and repeat. All last year this was a huge problem, and the main reason for very few miles covered. In the end, a very cheap coil pack found on ebay fixed the problem, and it has been fine since. Because I bought a pack, I don’t know if the problem was the coil or the driver, or maybe both. Actually, I would gladly have bought a quality part, but really didnt want to spend much on a coil pack as my longer term plan includes a Megasquirt setup.

• Advertisement