no avatar
User

claudiu_rem

Rank

Non Member

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Re: V6 turbo coolant temperature

Postby claudiu_rem » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:36 am

I have ordered the scoop from Simon Auto. I should receive it on Tuesday. I will let you know when I start fitting it. What is the secret of fitting?
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:04 pm

claudiu_rem wrote: ......... What is the secret of fitting?

Ha Ha ....... it is no secret, it is just that if you had got hold of a second hand one, there is a foam sealing strip on either side of the scoop which buts up against each side of the rad stopping air from spilling out and not being directed through the rad. On a S/H one, I would have expected the strips to be fitted, and therefore I would not have had to mentioned it, but on a new one, it more likely than not that the seal strips will be missing, and you would not have been aware of them being an important part of the installation.
If the foam seals are not fitted to your scoop, you need to get hold of a length of self adhesive foam strip approximately 10mm wide by 5mm deep ........ with the adhesive being on one 10mm face.
Once you get the scoop, it should be self apparent where the strips go. If you are not too sure, don't hesitate to seek clarification.
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
no avatar
User

claudiu_rem

Rank

Non Member

Postby claudiu_rem » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:50 am

I have received the scoop today. No foam strip on it. Looks new
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:37 pm

claudiu_rem wrote:I have received the scoop today. No foam strip on it.

I thought that might happen, never mind, should not be too difficult to get some.
One other point ....... there should be three M6 threaded spire clips along the bottom of the rad frame where the three 8mm (head) bolts screw into. Again, if they are missing, due to the rebuild after the damage, M6 nuts and washers will do. ....... not so convenient, but will do adequately.
no avatar
User

claudiu_rem

Rank

Non Member

Postby claudiu_rem » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Took the car for a 40 km drive today after fiting the scoop. The temperature stays at 90, and when sitting in traffic the temperature goes above 100, and afterwards it goes back at 90 when driving. So, for the moment it seems that the temperature is ok. Thanks a lot JohnC for the advise on the scoop!
no avatar
User

claudiu_rem

Rank

Non Member

Postby claudiu_rem » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:05 pm

Only thing to sort out is the high temperature when idling in traffic. Maybe I will another fan on the radiator
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:27 pm

claudiu_rem wrote:Only thing to sort out is the high temperature when idling in traffic. Maybe I will another fan on the radiator

Don't be in too much of a hurry to blame your cooling system ......... these Alpines do not like being caught up in traffic. For cooling purposes, these cars rely on the ram effect of the forward motion of the car with its scoop. This effect drops to zero when in traffic, and if you are stuck in traffic it does not take long for the temperature to rise. It then relies on the fan to create an air flow through the radiator.
The other problem we are seeing at the moment is the unusual high ambient air temperatures we are getting in the UK.
I noticed the other day when running around the coolant temperature was higher than usual, but when the fan cut in, it was able to hold the temperature at that higher level ....... 2 or 3 mm above the 90 mark. As long as when the fan starts running the temperature stabilises around that point, everything is OK.
But what you should do is run the car at idle and wait for the fan to cut in ...... assuming it does ...... and make a note at where on the temperature scale it cuts in.
I don't know what your location is but changing your Alp to LHD and using klms as your distances run, I am assuming you do not live in the UK........... which begs the question ....... what ambient air temperature are you experiencing where you are running the car ?
no avatar
User

claudiu_rem

Rank

Non Member

Postby claudiu_rem » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:33 pm

I’m from Romania. For the moment we have 32-34 degrees. As you said, the temperature stays at 3 mm after 90 in traffic and it stabilizes
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 pm

claudiu_rem wrote: For the moment we have 32-34 degrees.

In that case I would expect it to have higher than usual temperature readings. Be patient, I think you will find the temperatures will drop to a more acceptable level once the ambient air temperature drops.
Can I take it that the fan is cutting in at your 3 mm above 90 ?
no avatar
User

claudiu_rem

Rank

Non Member

Postby claudiu_rem » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:56 am

Yes, the fan cutts in.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Now that you have been for a longish drive, it might be worth bleeding the radiator just to check that no trapped air has found its way into the top of the rad ......... but only do it when it is cold.
By the way, what temperature thermostat have you got fitted ?
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:53 pm

On my car, a previous owner has fitted a radiator fan switch & warning lamp in one of the spare switch blanks on the dashboard. Even in the extreme temperatures we have been having lately, the temp gauge has remained just under 90 on an open road without the fan running.

The benefit of the switch is in stop - start traffic in town. it allows the fan to run constantly keeping the temperature down, without it starting & stopping as the thermostatic switches cut in & out. It maintains a steady temperature, meaning that there is ne need to watch the gauge. Once you can increase speed just switch it off & return to normal.
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:23 am

paulrob100 wrote:On my car, a previous owner has fitted a radiator fan switch & warning lamp in one of the spare switch blanks on the dashboard.

Its a good mod ........ I did it to mine when I first bought the Alp new. Mine differs in so far as when I activate the switch not only does the rad fan start running, but the engine bay fan also comes on.
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:29 am

My A310V6 has an aircon system and when the rotary switch on the dashboard is operated, the radiator fans are switched on, overriding the switch in the radiator. I had to use this in the early days in slow traffic, after first getting the car back on the road, due to a failed radiator switch.
Whilst on the move the dash temperature gauge sat at 90C indicating that the flow of air through the radiator whilst moving was sufficient.
1970 A110V85 and 1980 A310V6.
no avatar
User

claudiu_rem

Rank

Non Member

Postby claudiu_rem » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:20 pm

I have an 86 degrees thermostat. I have bled the radiator again, with no air coming out. I changed the air temperature sensor in the engine compartment next to the turbo, and now the engine bay fan works. I went for one hour drive in traffic and the temperature statys at aprox 100-105 and when cruising at 90. I think this is ok, considering the location of the engine and the 32 degrees outside. Now I am trying to fix the speedo. I’ll keep you posted )). One job at a time
PreviousNext

• Advertisement