User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Re: V6 turbo coolant temperature

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:00 pm

At 1.4 bar (pressure rating of the blue cap) the boiling point is upward of 115-120 degrees (also depending on the level of glycol) - that's the main reason for having a pressure cap and why two versions (brown and blue) exist for the atmo and turbo respectively.

So assuming you are running the blue, you probably won't see it boil - which is a good thing! That also explains why your pipes are swelling and over-pressured - not such a good thing!

It possibly indicates a head gasket, though rad could easily still be the cause. You can get a chemical indicator (sort of litmus test) that looks for CO and exhaust products in the coolant which really can only get there via a headgasket that's leaking into the cooling system. Potential other issues could be a cracked liner (rare) or cracked head (v rare), so start with the simple things first -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-3-BLOCK-C ... m570.l1313
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:01 pm

What temps are you seeing on the thermostat housing, block itself and front radiator (both sides) - check with your thermo infra-red gun and let us know. That might also give a clue. One side of the rad should be colder than the other!
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:46 pm

One silly question .... but important .......... Have you got the radiator scoop fitted ? ......... see pic below.

Rad Scoop.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:13 pm

The scoop certainly needs to be there to give the best cooling but is not crucial.It can't have suddenly disappeared so unlikely to be the issue....
The main point to make is that your car has started to read a lot higher than it usually does ? This points to a problem.
I've seen dozens of cars and they all read differently on the gauge...some barely touch 80 whilst others sit there happily at 100+ but have no fundamental problems.I always tell folks to just keep an eye on a change from the norm rather than the reading .
no avatar
User

claudiu_rem

Rank

Non Member

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Postby claudiu_rem » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:28 pm

I bought the car in january and the temperature was staying at 90-95, but I only did short trips(max 30 min) and it was 2 degrees outside. I moved the steering wheel to the left and it took me 3 months, because I only worked at it in week-ends, and now when it’s warm outside I realised that the temp goes up. I will do a CO test to see if gases leak into the coolant system and check the water pump after. I don’t remeber seeing the front scoop ok the radiator. I found an old post of the previous owner in which he was complaining that the temp stayed up. The problem is that even if I drive with constant speed at 100 km/h and the outside temp goes from 30c to 15C , the coolant temperature temains the same. It’s weird
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 pm

claudiu_rem wrote:I don’t remember seeing the front scoop on the radiator.

Many years ago we had a problem, like yours, where the temperature was always high and we went through all the same suggestions as we have been giving you, but to no avail. Then he said something that led me to believe the scoop was missing ........ having checked with this member, we found out that the original scoop got broken and he had left it off.
A new one was sourced and his problems were sorted.
If the scoop is not fitted then the air flow will not be directed through the radiator, but will spill into the wheel arches as that it the path of least resistance for the air. Because the rad is set at such an angle to the air flow, the air will not be forced through the rad without the scoop.
Even the fan will not be sufficient to draw the air through the rad ..... further more, the fan will only be working on one half of the rad, unless you have two fans.
But first .... go back and check if the scoop is there or not, as you say "you don't remember seeing the front scoop". ;)
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:20 pm

Good spot that Jon. Same thing occurred to me and I'd been meaning to ask but forgot... :crazy
no avatar
User

claudiu_rem

Rank

Non Member

Postby claudiu_rem » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:35 pm

The car had a crash at some point on the right side and it has been repared pretty good. I will look tomorrow for the front scoop. I maybe sending you some beers through the post office if this works )). Thank you. By the way John, I changed the electric motor of the speedo with a new one and the speed sensor on the gearbox, cleared the earth plugs and still no speedo. That’s another Alpine problem I can’t solve.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:53 pm

claudiu_rem wrote: By the way John, I changed the electric motor of the speedo with a new one and the speed sensor on the gearbox, cleared the earth plugs and still no speedo.

When you get around to it ........ in the Members Area ..... there is a post titled "Speedo Motor & Odometer Test", dated March 13th, 2017.
It is on page one ...... might be worth having a look. :)
no avatar
User

claudiu_rem

Rank

Non Member

Postby claudiu_rem » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:12 am

Looks like front radiator scoop is missing. I am searching for one and I will also check the water pump
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:15 am

claudiu_rem wrote:Looks like front radiator scoop is missing.

I would not waste anymore time until I had fitted a scoop and tested the car again.
If you cannot source a second hand scoop ....... Simon Autos have new ones in stock for 149 euros + p&p.
Assuming your Alp does not have Air-Con, the part number is 061003.
You will also need fixings ....... 3 x 8mm bolts and washers ......... and 6 x 7mm nuts and washers.
See pic below.

Scoop fixings.JPG

I hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

claudiu_rem

Rank

Non Member

Postby claudiu_rem » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:18 am

If someone on the forum has a second hand scoop, let me know
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 am

Here is a pic of the scoop fitted........ just for info. :)

Scoop fitted.JPG
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:56 am

claudiu_rem wrote:If someone on the forum has a second hand scoop, let me know

Have you been able to get hold of a secondhand scoop yet ? ........... If not, and you go for a new one, let us know before fitting, as there is an important thing to check before you proceed, if you want to get the best performance out of the scoop.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:56 pm

JJ is such a tease :thinking
PreviousNext

• Advertisement