stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Re: Water hoses

Postby stephendell » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:46 am

simontaylor wrote:So what are these hoses like? Quality, Fit and branding?
I should be looking for a set shortly.
Not sure if to choose Samco-blue at £495 or Simon-Auto-black at £100 less?
Sort of prefer black a bit, but did they come with clips too?

You can have the Samco in Black for the same price but realistic lead time is currently 12 weeks / 3 months from receipt of payment. Simon quality and fit nothing like as good as Samco but you get what you pay for. Neither include clips. Samco have clip kits but they aren’t particularly cheap. So if you fancy a winter project best order now!
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:07 pm

Meh ...I was told Black is a special order colour so will take 5 months, well mine did anyway ...
RATS' hoses on the shelf and shipped next day ...just saying..pays yer money takes yer choice .
User

Alpine Tom

Rank

Non Member

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:30 pm

Sheffield

Postby Alpine Tom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:05 pm

Well so far not happy at all with the Simon hoses @ £400.

I have had to cut down 6 of the 6 fitted, all three sides of the water pump and all 3 down at the oil cooler, having not done this before perhaps this is just how these things are supplied but....

My main gripe is that the lower hose to the water cooler 061123 is no way the correct diameter, it’s way too small to slide over.
It seems the lower two pipes on the oil cooler are the same 061123-24. One fitted just, it had a 2016 manufacturing date but the 2014 manufacturing date hose has no chance at all.

I’ve emailed Simon for a correct replacement I’ll let you know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GTA roulette all in on a blue one!
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Simon quality and fit nothing like as good as Samco but you get what you pay for.

As I said above, Samco fit fine out of the box but the current lead time is unacceptable to most.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

Alpine Tom

Rank

Non Member

Sheffield

Postby Alpine Tom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Andreas at Simon has emailed back straight away which is encouraging, just sending in photos in just now.

I have realised that it was the 2014 that fitted, the 2016 one didn’t, not the other way around
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

Alpine Tom

Rank

Non Member

Sheffield

Postby Alpine Tom » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:25 am

Problem solved, Simon auto/Andreas sent a replacement hose free of charge, this time it’s the one on the other side of the steel pipe connecting to the lower oil cooler connection.

Just had to cut it down a little and straight on no problem.

All in all I think it’s a good quality kit with all the hoses required for the coolant circuit, you will just have to trim a few of the smaller ones down to size and look out for the lower oil cooler connection, but you will be well supported but Simon auto
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Well done Tom.
If you had known what you know now regarding quality and fitting and needed another set..... Would you buy again from Simon Auto at £380 or buy Samco at £495 with a 3-5 month wait?
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

Alpine Tom

Rank

Non Member

Sheffield

Postby Alpine Tom » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:28 pm

Ha! Good question.

Now that I’ve done it once and I know what I’m getting into I would stick with my Simon auto choice, sure I had to cut down a few of the smaller hoses and the oil cooler was a bit of a mystery. But I was well supported by Simon and the kit is far superior to the original set, I wanted to stay original with the black colour too.

The Simon kit also includes the heater matrix hoses which was the fault I needed to fix in the first place and finally the wait was just unacceptable for someone with my short attention span lol!
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:12 pm

I had to cut down a few of the smaller hoses

FWIW if I was doing it again with the Samco set I would have trimmed the length of the 'stubbies' that go to the water-pump in the V of the engine down by 1-2cm anyway as I found them awkward to fit - mainly as I think they're fractionally too long. Sounds like the design is similar. They do fit but until they're bedded in I think it tends to make them bend more than they need to.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

Alpine Tom

Rank

Non Member

Sheffield

Postby Alpine Tom » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:36 am

Well that was a waist of time!

Now that the hoses are all new and I guess stronger, the radiator has split poring another £40 of type D all over the road :down

Has anyone got ideas about good rads, what about this one from eBay?
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:02 am

Water is VERY clever. It will always leak out of the weakest joint in the system....and when you have fixed that one....it will ind the next weakest joint for you to fix..... etc etc.
Hopefully £40 of coolant is a lot less than an engine rebuild if it had over heated.
I understand that some of the chinesse rads are rather poor quality.
UK, Po Alloy have made some in the past, you may need to call them to find out if they can produce any more.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:52 am

Where is it split Tom ? ........... if it is on the core,you should be able to have it re cored if the plastic end pieces are in good condition.
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

GTA Radiator

Postby Bazzer501 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi Tom,
Earlier this year I purchased a silicone water hoses set ,stainless steel hose clips and a radiator for my 1993 A610 from ax-auto in France.
They do lots of parts for the GTA along with an aluminium alloy radiator for Euro 369.90 with, I think free delivery
I was very pleased with my radiator, temperature is much more stable and no more of the getting very hot issues..!

This is the web site:
https://www.axauto-parts.com/mecanique/ ... -1483.html

You can e mail them with any quieries and they will respond quickly and also understand English well

Here's a draft translation:
This superb radiator for Alpine GTA V6 Turbo has been designed and built with strength, lightness and performance in mind. The aluminum alloy used for the manufacture of this radiator is derived from aeronautics; it is thus lighter and stronger than standard aluminum.

Compared to an original Alpine GTA V6 Turbo radiator, the benefits of this all-aluminium model are more than obvious:
- a weight loss of up to 50% of the original one,
- greater robustness ,
- at equal dimensions, a thermal ratio 12% to 18% higher than the original part.

The reliability tests used to test this radiator include pressurised immersion in water to detect any micro-leakage.

The TIG welds, the high-performance racing beam and the polished aluminum finish give this radiator an impeccable look that goes hand in hand with its undeniable qualities.

This beautiful piece designed to make reliable any vehicle prepared and subjected to extreme conditions is ideal for competition, hill climbing, prototyping, auto-cross, ....It is an adaptable Xtrem Motorsport brand, which fits in place of the original radiator.

Characteristics:

Dimensions Overall: 720 x 315 x 75mm
Dimensions Beam: 630 x 265 x 60mm

Probe holder : YES (+ plug) - 1 installation at the top left M14x150 probe thread + 1 implantation on the right side probe thread M22x150

Other: 2 lower fasteners
Weight: 4.2 Kg

Application : Alpine GTA V6 Turbo (Europa Cup) and Alpine GTA V6 Atmo D500 (Europa Cup)

Cheers, Barry.
Yellow 1993 Alpine Renault A610
User

miles thomas

Rank

Non Member

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

west sussex

Postby miles thomas » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Yes Pro Alloy are the best I've seen and Simon and I both use them. You need to speak to Derek at Brenchley he's your man ;)
Spider,Clio Tce,C4 Cactus, 1967 DS.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:07 am

Or Lee at RATS ....
I've got a guy literally just down the road that makes anything Ali.You're looking at around £400 for a UK custom rad.
Winner Racing rads on Ebay etc,I've fitted a dozen or so to GTA610 and not had any reports of major failures. Sometimes they arrive less than correct...mounting points on upsidedown/missing holes etc.
I might have a Winner one in stock, not sure.
The axauto ones look like the Chinese ones to me ...They've just added some 'tech' blurb to make them sound 'Aerospace' ....
PreviousNext

• Advertisement