Tom

Rank

Non Member

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:06 am

Adelaide, Australia

Fuel Pumps

Postby Tom » Sat May 19, 2018 11:34 am

Hi All

I recently got the GTA out of the shed for some TLC as it has been sitting for way too long.

Was idling ok but, when I went for a drive, after a while it was evident that any increased throttle would have very little effect on engine revs. There was no jerkiness, just slowly losing more and more throttle response and power. Eventually it stopped altogether. At first I thought I ran it out of fuel (even though gauge read 3.5 gal). Added about 4-5L of fuel but could not get her started again. If I did run it out of fuel should it take much to get it restarted once adding some fuel? I turned it over many times to no avail.

Fuel pump relay clicks and I can hear the rear pump when switching ignition on. I'm thinking it could be the front pump. Would appreciate some pointers on how to prove if this is in fact the case. I haven't removed either pump from the car before. I assume to get to the front pump I need to jack the car and access from underneath after removing the under tray?

Also - In case I do need to get a new pump/s I have done some research on this forum and the standard pumps seem to be:

Front: Pierburg - 7 20694 13 7 310

Rear: Bosch - 8 580 484 027

I have not had any luck finding either of these part numbers online. Are they no longer available?
I've read about some alternative pumps for big horsepower applications but I would be just after something close to standard that fits without any mods.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Tom
'88 GTA Turbo
'85 R25 GTX
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Re: Fuel Pumps

Postby r5gordini » Sat May 19, 2018 12:32 pm

If you did want to upgrade the rear, I have a Sytec equivalent to the Bosch 044 pump with some fittings and some brackets. Reduced price due to slight scratches incurred as I was trying to fit it to my A610. Let me know if you're interested

Andrew
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat May 19, 2018 1:10 pm

I can supply both pumps OE spec.
no avatar
User

mike17

Rank

Non Member

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:54 pm

Postby mike17 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi just to confirm does a 1990 atmo have just x1 rear fuel pump and filter..??
I'm stumped at the moment as after replacing rear pump and filter last week end she won't now start...was running and restarting x6 last
Wend but dieing on me....took small carb off cleaned all jets and blasted through with carb cleaner...to not avail...but on pouring a few egg cups of fuel down the float chamber overflow pipe (not easy) she starts up and funs..until that added fuel is gone.
I'm confused..mike..help..
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:15 pm

How much fuel is in the tank? If you had run it dry then 4 litres is only a gallon and in the GTAs odd shaped tank you might be missing the pick-up. It shouldn't be the case but I'd add another fuel cans worth just to rule it out.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:36 pm

No rear pump on the Atmo so not sure what you've been looking at ?
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:04 pm

I have very similar syptoms on my 1990 Atmo.
That has a front pump and filter only, there is a fuel metering unit under the shelf on the rhs of the engine bay, but that’s it.
Mine isn’t working at present either, but was only idling for a limited time and they dying, so I started cleaning out the fuel system. Odd as it’s previous outing was to france last month.
What’s surprising on mine it’s the return pipe from the rear that was full of crud, not the flow pipe to the swirl tank and metering system. You wouldn’t believe how much crud came out.
If the cars been standing (in my case 20years) then a compressed air line and some fuel system cleaner might be needed.
It’s not so hard...clamp the outlets from the tank so you don’t need to drain it and then blow air into the pipes (where the metal bits start, having disconnected them on the engine bulkhead.
I had trays to catch the stuff that came out and the return was full of rusty steel and mud. The flow pipe was dirty before the filter with silt from the tank...it had blocked the pipe.
I’ve cleaned the cabs already (did you find the filter in the carb inlet to the small carb...that could block).
I’m cleaning out the metering unit tomorrow...which is now leaking, even though it never did before...
Good luck.
Lee
no avatar
User

mike17

Rank

Non Member

Postby mike17 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi Guys thanks for the replys all stuff I hadn't thought about its pumping clean (now) fuel to the carb through a big new filter now...but didnt know there was an inlet filter..is it a mesh cone affair?...I'll feel a Muppet if its a push in..in the inlet as I unscrewed both the inlet and the 2nd cab feed brass pipe lnlets to blast them through on the bench...but never really looked inside.
Good point about keeping the tank fuller too...at it again tommorrow
Last edited by mike17 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

mike17

Rank

Non Member

Postby mike17 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:32 pm

Just re-read my 1st post - meant front pump and filter...doh..
Not sure I know where or what the fuel meter unit looks like...that's a new one to me..maybe ought to clean that out to...
Last edited by mike17 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:48 pm

mike17 wrote:........... Not sure I know where or what the fuel meter unit looks like..

Under the shelf .... RHS .... in engine compartment.

Flowmeter 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
no avatar
User

mike17

Rank

Non Member

Postby mike17 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:11 pm

Oh cant say I recognise that from the pic...I'll take a pick of mine tomorrow..thanks John
no avatar
User

mike17

Rank

Non Member

Postby mike17 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:57 pm

This must be it item 23...the hidden filter Lee??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

mike17

Rank

Non Member

Postby mike17 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:59 pm

Just below letter 'n' in attachments
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:12 am

Yes..item 23...mine was missing.
Lee
no avatar
User

mike17

Rank

Non Member

Postby mike17 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi Lee, how did you get on cleaning the metering unit...Ive been so focused on the carbs I didn't realise it all tucked away under the shelf..Johns pic was a revalation .haa
Next

• Advertisement