Inspiration needed - upgrading A610 fuel pump!

Renault & Alpine General Discussion

Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Inspiration needed - upgrading A610 fuel pump!

Postby r5gordini » Fri May 04, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi All,

As you may know, I am in the middle of a modern ECU conversion on my A610. Going well, but ironing out some issues now.

Here's a taster - a youtube video of the pops, bangs and flames on the Dyno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWBkjSVuj2g

It was suggested by my tuner that I should consider upgrading the fuel pump on my A610 since the delivery of the original pump appeared to be dropping off at higher boost/revs. I duly went and bought the Sytec equivalent to the Bosch 044:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SYTEC-REPLAC ... Swx2dYCOd6

Now the challenge is that it's bigger than the OE pump and so doesn't fit in the cradle! I could bodge it with cable ties or something but I don't fancy that much. So I bought this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sytec-Motors ... xyuCJRblo-

But it's waaay to big to fit in the piddly little hole where the fuel pump went originally!

So I then bought this rather nice bit of kit:

https://www.protecfuelpumps.com/product ... -id-90067/

However... it too is rather tight to fit in the space. The problem isn't the spreader plate, it's the size of the ring that holds the pump itself. I could cut the flange on the cross-member beneath the pump and reweld it to give me a bit more space down there so I can mount the pump a bit lower and that would probably work, but I am reluctant to modify the structure of the car.

Alternatively, I could consider re-siting the pump - maybe near where the power steering pump is? I might not be able to get it low enough.

A further thought I had was to fit it in the tank. I'm struggling to find a simple hanger that would do the job and I am reluctant to cut a big hole in the tank! I think it could go under the bracket that holds the spare wheel. I am also considering junking the spare wheel entirely to give me some front "boot" space and just packing some tyre sealant.

What would you do? I fear I am just chucking money at it hoping to fix the problem, without having a clear solution in mind.

Thanks,

Andrew
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Re: Inspiration needed - upgrading A610 fuel pump!

Postby clee » Sat May 05, 2018 7:27 am

Sell the Sytec one to someone with a GTA, ( lots more room to fit ) and get a Walbro 255 which are smaller than OE.
http://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gsl39 ... -pump.html
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Postby Tony Smith » Sat May 05, 2018 12:50 pm

As above, Walbro pump flows plenty, it's what all the japanese tuners use, have had mine on my GTA for 10 plus years with no problems.
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Tue May 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks Guys! You really helped me out here as I was fresh out of ideas.

I have bought the Walbro and am in the middle of fitting it. It's been a bit of a pain due to the extra room taken by the various connectors (that makes it a bit longer than original) but I'm nearly there now. Just waiting for a 120 degree AN-8 fitting now. I've replaced all the fuel hoses and located an inline filter just next to the tank. Not sure if it'll be easier to change or not but I never liked the original pre-filter location and the original fuel hoses to/from the tank were in danger of failing.

Good news is that I have been able to reuse the original fuel pump bracket!

Photos to follow.

Andrew
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Tue May 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Although... the original bracket is rather past its best. I can't seem to see one on simon-auto?

Andrew
User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Postby r5gordini » Thu May 17, 2018 6:35 am

Think I'm going to try re-making the rubber on the bracket with DIY polyurethane. Not a job for this week as very busy and need the car running by the weekend as my Discovery 4 is broken due to its steering rack having become incontinent.

Andrew

• Advertisement