Check your fuel pressure regulator (and pulse damper)!

Renault & Alpine General Discussion

Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

User

r5gordini

Rank

Non Member

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Check your fuel pressure regulator (and pulse damper)!

Postby r5gordini » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi All,

After my recent experience with a failed fuel pulse damper diaphragm on my A610, I heartily recommend checking the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm (and fuel pulse damper diaphragm if you have one)! This applies to any fuel injected car, but particularly our GTAs and 610's.

In my case, the pulse damper diaphragm had failed. This meant that fuel was leaking out of it and being sucked into the inlet. Completely invisibly and without (apparent) symptom. I would never have checked if I'd not seen weird AFR's while on the dyno.

After 20+ years, the rubber in the diaphragms must get weak and fail. Unsurprising, really.

It's really easy to check - only takes 5 minutes!

Get a fire-extinguisher and have it close by in case of leaks and fires. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Get a small container that you can catch a bit of fuel into. In my experience, not much fuel is lost, but be careful.

Get access to the vacuum/boost pipe that's fitted to the top of the regulator and/or damper. Undo the hose clip.

Start the engine. Pull the vacuum/boost pipe off the T-piece if you have both a FPR and a damper.

After a few seconds (maybe 10-30?) if a diaphragm is faulty, fuel should start to leak out of the top of the fuel pressure regulator or the T-piece. If you have the T-piece and do get fuel from the T-piece, undo the clips on the FPR and the damper and pull off their hoses to isolate which is faulty.

Go carefully!

Andrew
Last edited by r5gordini on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:00 am

Epsom Surrey/ Venezia Italy

Re: Check your fuel pressure regulator (and pulse damper)!

Postby phildini » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:49 am

Good to know Andrew, I will check my GTA, thanks :up
84 R5 Le Car2 Turbo, 95 Clio 16V mk1, 68 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, 99 Mitsubishi Evo VI, 06 Porsche Boxster, 11 Lotus Evora S
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:41 am

Are you able to post a picture, or a link to the parts book, .....just so we are sure we are all checking the right same thing?
Thanks too.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:41 pm

As I posted a while back they will all need changing as the rubber is not ethanol resistance the new petrol just turns the rubber to jelly, any rubber in contact with the new fuel is subject to this problem, ie high pressure fuel lines change them all it is not worth the risk.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Diaphragms in the standard Renault fuel reg / damper are tin unless I'm much mistaken! Not rubber.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:33 pm

To be honest I have never smashed one up to find out but any thing that is 20+ years old should be changed, just look at the water pipes for example so the fuel side should be higher on the list for replacement.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Custard wrote:To be honest I have never smashed one up to find out but any thing that is 20+ years old should be changed, just look at the water pipes for example so the fuel side should be higher on the list for replacement.

From recent TV looks like the fuel system on an Alpine only has a life span of approx. 20 minutes so definitely worth checking lol
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:33 pm

Problem is that tin is very easily corroded in contact with water (just look at the colour of the streams in Cornwall)

Mine perforated years ago after the local petrol station got water in their tanks. Doesn't take much, so yes it's a good idea safety wise to replace if in doubt.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 pm

r5gordini wrote:Get a fire-extinguisher and have it close by in case of leaks and fires. Don't say I didn't warn you!

A safer way of checking is with two short lengths of pipe and a glass of water. One pipe to one side of the diaphragm, and the other pipe to the other side of the diaphragm............... put one pipe into the glass of water, and blow into the the other pipe and look for bubbles in the glass of water. ;)
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25

• Advertisement