no avatar
User

acalex

Rank

Non Member

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:05 pm

A110 FASA

Postby acalex » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Can someone help with the background to this Spanish version cf the Dieppe cars please?
I am thinking particularly any differences in build or spec, quality generally etc.
It also seems that values, maybe because of the above, or perceived desirability, are perhaps 25-33% less. Is that about right?
Is there anything else that is a negative to this version?
Thanks for any pointers!
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Re: A110 FASA

Postby stephendell » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:06 pm

As you say just generally less desirable and worth less than the French ones.

Spanish cars have thicker fibre glass which may be an advantage to some if you are not looking for super lightweight.

Spanish cars were all basic models. No sports versions but seeing as all the very basic French cars often get modified anyway no real issue.

You get what you pay for just remember it will be worth less than a French one when you come to resell.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:37 pm

I’ve never been able to find a published, reliable source of information regarding comparative values of Spanish and French built cars. The French cars are more sought after but what the valuation difference might be is difficult to put into numerical terms. You would need to have access to a source of all car sales values going back over a number of years. As an individual, I doubt that this would be achievable or realistic.

Hagerty insurance has a valuation tool that does cover the A110 variations but makes no reference to country of origin. Out of interest I called them this morning to ask whether they took country of origin into account in the A110 valuations listed and the answer was negative. Their valuations are based on model and year of manufacture only. Who knows what any value variation might be unless there are other sources of specific data. I guess the sales value of any version is governed by specification and what someone will pay.

In Spain the A110 was manufactured in 3 engine versions, an 1108, 1289 and 1397cc. Of these only the 1108cc and 1289cc have direct French equivalents to which values can be compared. The 1397cc car, using the Renault 5 Alpine engine, was only produced in Spain.

The French built cars had greater variety and offered the higher performance 1255 and1296cc engined versions together with the 1600cc range of performance engines that Spain did not manufacture. The engine versions manufactured in France were 1108, 1289, 1255, 1296, 1470, 1565, 1605 and 1647cc.

Regarding build quality, of the cars I know and have seen I don’t detect any difference in build quality. Bear in mind, as noted above, the comparison can only be made between the 1100 and 1300cc cars. A 1600cc French car, for example, could never be compared value wise with any of the Spanish built cars.

Regarding weight differences that Stephen mentioned, according to my references noted below the Spanish 1100cc cars were heavier than the French equivalents but the 1289cc Spanish car was 5kg lighter than the French car.

Regarding negatives concerning the Spanish cars –

Of Spanish cars for sale I would think the majority would be the 1289cc version as 908 of these were built in comparison to 528 of the 1108cc car. I don’t recall having seen an 1108cc car for sale for a long time, nor the 1397cc version of which 130 were made. Your choice will, therefore, be limited. If higher performance is required then the French cars need to be considered.

For the higher performance French cars the Hagerty valuation tool currently shows those classified as ‘excellent’ ranging in value from £63100.00 (1300G) to £82,800.00 (1600S). A positive is that you’re most likely to find a much cheaper Spanish car but negatively it won’t have the kudos of the higher performance French cars. However, I think you would get as much pleasure out of owning an A110 irrespective of where it was built. The article attached might be of interest.

References: -
- The book ‘Berlinettes Alpine’ by Christian Descombes.
- The Spanish magazine ‘Motor Clasico’, November 1993.

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/alpine/a110
1970 A110V85 and 1980 A310V6.
no avatar
User

acalex

Rank

Non Member

Postby acalex » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 pm

Many thanks to both contributors. Its kind of what I expected or had a gut feel for, ie in terms of Spanish cars being perceived as less desirable and, ultimately, less pricey.
I am an enthusiast first and foremost, with 2 Lancias a 1970's Alfa and an AC, so in a sense value should come way down the list of things to look for. But, and lets be honest, nobody wants to either pay way over the odds for something, or be buying something that ultimately has a bit of a stigma attached.
The car I was looking at, and the trigger for this thread is here:
http://www.anamera.com/en/detail/car/500346/index.html
So you can see its a lovely looking car, and probably as good as it gets outside concours stuff. But.....its also a 'lovely' price, based on what has been said. The fact that I dont actually want all the rally stuff in/on the car is a smaller consideration.
I'm certainly not in any hurry to rush into anything, and am purely in info collect mode at present, so thanks again! Alex
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:30 pm

That car has been for sale for some time now.

Looks lovely but very strong money for a FASA.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:00 am

As you say, there is a perception that Spanish cars are less desirable than those from Dieppe. As I said earlier in the thread I’ve never been able to find definitive data to back this up but would expect that sales values would confirm this when comparison is made of the equivalent 1108cc and 1289cc models.

With respect, I don’t think there’s any stigma attached to the cars built outside of France and that’s not a view I’ve ever encountered.

The car for sale does appear to be one of the 130 factory 1397cc cars, as these were produced in 1977/8. The chassis number would verify that. It does look to be in great condition and have had a thorough restoration and perhaps the cost of that restoration is reflected in the price. Not unreasonable, of course, and it has also been upgraded with the twin Webers, exhaust system, suspension mods, seats, roll cage, rally gear, etc. These upgrades will have some value.

If you were to make a comparison, in this case, with the French cars, based solely on the claimed power output of 120 bhp, this would position it with the French 1300S (1296cc, 120-132 bhp) and 1300G (1255cc, 105 bhp). According to the Hagerty insurance valuation tool these, in excellent condition, are currently valued at £68,700.00 and £63,100.00 respectively. On current exchange rates the car for sale would be £76,500.00 that does appear to be on the high side.

The car is also for sale on this website: -

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/re ... 977/510285

Dependant upon your restoration abilities would, naturally, influence your approach in terms of whether you want a car that needs work or one where all the work has been done. Obviously that would affect the asking price significantly. My impression now is that there are few A110s in the former category compared to when I bought mine in 1990. Now I think everyone is aware of their value and, with time passing, more have needed restoration and have, as a result, been restored.
no avatar
User

acalex

Rank

Non Member

Postby acalex » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:12 pm

John, well again thanks. I think the view is clear, overpriced, but thats often the case with dealers.
As regards what I might be looking for, and what I have always sought with any cars, is the best I can get for my money, so generally restored to a good level. i always find otherwise that the cost of resto, plus the car cost itself, far outweighs buying a good car well done!
Will keep on looking, talking to people etc etc, no hurry!
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:46 pm

Well, good luck with the search and post again on here if you find one in the future.

• Advertisement