User

mitchella

Rank

Non Member

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 am

Penicuik, Scotland

Big bolts

Postby mitchella » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:56 am

What size of hex key do I need to loosen the bolts that hold the rear subframe onto the car? and roughly how many blokes swinging on the end of a bit scaffolding tube will it take to actually budge them if they haven't moved in say 15 years?

Despite Peterg's stern warnings, I've decided that I will have a go at engine removal but I'm going to work round all of the bits that will need disconnecting first and make sure that they will budge in an attempt to take some of the stress out of the final job.

Also, any advice on the best source of a full set of engine gaskets, including head gaskets and bolts oh and a clutch set would be appreciated.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:15 pm

Hex bolts??? Didnt have any of them, but I'd suggest you buy a full hex set as there are others around.....and some form of heating device to help ease the bigger bolts. If you dont know anyone with a gas welder then I'd recommend a blow torch. WD40 just wont be up to the job.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:18 pm

NO Big Blokes on Poles :( ,if the bolts are stuck that hard you'll probably snap the heads off :shock: Far better to have at it with heat and time .
User

mitchella

Rank

Non Member

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 am

Penicuik, Scotland

Postby mitchella » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:22 pm

Haven't looked at the others yet but I think the bolts at the suspension turrets were large hex socket head things and not just normal bolts - should they all just be normal bolts? I'll have to investigate further. I have a couple of sets of hex keys but this just looked way larger than I had seen before, hence the question.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:11 pm

You will need a good set of spanners too there are a few odd bod bolts such as 16 and 18mm in there. The hardest bolts on the damn car are the lower turbo oil feed bolt at the back (that one can take forever to get off!) and the clutch slave cylinder heat shield bolt nearest the drivers side....almost impossible to get a spanner on due to the casting around it.
I wouldnt worry about snapping the turret bolts as they arent captive (not on my car anyway) and you'll probably want to replace em anyway. The bad news is you wont beable to get much of a pole on them anyway as the upper one is restricted by all sorts of things and the lower one by the drive shafts and suspension arms.
no avatar
User

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:53 am

User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:27 am

arghh, we're being invaded! :x

• Advertisement