Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Big Blown engine

Postby Alpineandy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:51 pm

What's the biggest capacity for a turbo car?
Bearing in mind it would be for a GTA or an A310, what bits would/could be used from pugs, volvos and renaults etc.
I think volvo did a 3 litre PRV but don't know if it was bore or stroke or both, and I don't know if they did a blown version.
If it was stroke would the crank be a straight swap etc etc etc

:?:
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:01 pm

Same as the other thread, anything you like really up to a maximum of 3.2L. Only worth increasing the capacity if you can actually improve the air flow through the heads, other wise your gonna gain torque but hardly any more maximum power, and your limiting revability with the longer stroke.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:31 pm

But torque is useful for my hobby! So.....heres a scenario!!.....at the end of next season I need a bit more speed to keep up with those damn japanese 4wd cars, I can get the crank out of another engine and bingo Ive got a 3 litre turbo motor with more torque and thanks to your (stillborn!) ECU everything will sort itself out to give me a huge dollop of torque??????
Its too easy....no really.....post the catch so I dont get my hopes up! :D
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:53 pm

Heres the catch. If you have a 2.5 Z7U engine, the pistons actually have high thick crowns for strength (so they are basically high compression pistons)..the lowered compression actually comes from Renault shortening the stroke on the GTA turbo by 10mm...

.,.which means, if you stick in the 2.8 crank, it will be running something like 10.5:1 compression, so you have to change/modify the pistons too.

What you can do, is in theory (ive been checking what Venturi done in the past), is fit the Z7X low comp laguna bottom end to the V6 Turbo heads. The GTA heads have a larger dome in the head than the A610, so matched up to that bottom end brings the compression down to 7.3:1

Still lots of work though...
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:37 pm

Ok.....the 2008 season it is then :lol:

• Advertisement