User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 16, 2004 10:49 pm

Charlotte, USA

Fuel pipes leaking

Postby Juzzblack » Sun May 23, 2004 5:26 pm

I own an early GTA Turbo with the single fuel pressure regulator and have an on-going problem with fuel pipes leaking petrol all over the engine! The fault lies with the two fuel pipes which come off the left hand side of the regulator and onto the left hand injector rail. I recently replaced the old pipes (because they were cracked and leaking) with two new pipes, but they're still leaking. They became so loose i could easily pull them off with my hand. I've tried tightening the jubilee clips up again and wait to see if they work loose and leak again. I'm using 8mm bore reinforced rubber fuel pipes. Is this correct? I also have some 6mm bore reinforced clear plastic fuel pipe, which I'm thinking of trying instead. Does anyone know the correct bore size to use or recommend an alternative type of fuel pipe to try? Thanks.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

jubilee clips

Postby David Gentleman » Sun May 23, 2004 11:01 pm

I find that first you have to junk the old renault jubilee clips as theyre a problem when they get old. Make sure the pipe on the inlet manifold and the rubber pipe is bone dry before you put them on, and the main thing is if you try and do a jubilee clip up to tight, it sometimes focuses pressure on a smaller point than with lesser pressure over a larger area. This small barrier sometimes isnt enough for high fuel pressure and will leak underneath and loosen the grip.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Fuel pipes leaking

Postby darrenbiggs » Mon May 24, 2004 10:53 am

I had a similar problem several years ago when I replaced mine.

Most of those small injector pipes are specially shaped and so should be replaced with the authentic Renault items - Paul Sage at Alpine Renault Restoration ordered and replaced mine, its a quick and easy job to do yourself though. Apparently when the fuel is flowing at full rate the curves in a simple section of bent tubing can begin to restrict the flow and raise the pressure, forcing a leak. The specially formed and shaped versions simply don't have this problem and are the correct bore etc. (As David said new jubilee clips are well worth it aswell though)

From memory the fuel pipes are about £30 quid for the whole cluster so much more expensive than a simple length of injector hose but well worth it compared with an engine fire!
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Mon May 24, 2004 4:33 pm

I replaced the jubilee clips with brand new ones. But I've been tightening them up more and more to try and prevent the leaks. From what you're saying about the pressure of the clips this is the wrong approach. Also the pipes I put on do have a sharp kink in them and do not bend smoothly like the original Renault ones. Looks like I'll have to order some genuine Renault ones and try loosening the clips slightly in the meantime.Thanks both for your help.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

hoses

Postby David Gentleman » Mon May 24, 2004 8:50 pm

If you cant get the original pipes then ive found the best way to do it is to use longer fuel pipe than you need so any bends are smoother and more flowing, rather than being short and kinked. It may look a little more cluttered in the engine bay but it does solve the problems
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Mon May 24, 2004 9:09 pm

Cheers. I'll see how I get on.
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Wed May 26, 2004 3:48 pm

Picked up my fuel pipes from Renault today. £21.40 for three - although they did throw in some free clips!

Hopefully these will stop the leaking.

In case this information is useful to anyone, I've measured the new Renault pipes and the internal bore size is 6mm diameter. The leaking ones I've got on now, which I bought from a motor factor, are 8mm bore. Presumably that's been part of the problem!
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:11 pm

One of my fuel pipes is leaking again! Is there a permanent solution to this besides forever fitting new hoses and clips? Do the later injector rails and fuel pipes have screw on type fixings? Would it be possible to upgrade my earlier type to the later type? What parts would need to be changed and would it be an easy staright swap? Or would it be prohibitively expensive to buy all the necessary parts?
GTA V6 Turbo - BTW check your earths!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlpineGTA
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:28 pm

Juzz , is the car running rich :?: If so could be the regulator on its way out .I had mine go and the hoses will never stop leaking .
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:33 pm

Hadn't thought of that. Might be worth trying a new regulator then. How can I tell if it's running rich? Check the plugs? Thanks.

User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:40 pm

BIG SOOTY PIPES :lol:
Mine started to produce more and more ,initially thought it was turbo related as I forgot to replace the breather system one day :oops:
no avatar
User

dath

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 17, 2004 5:39 pm

Postby dath » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:47 pm

Hello - I had the same probs 12 yrs ago. I supose this is no doubt not a professional solution but has not given any probs since.
Slackend the hoses and pulled back a bit but not fully off to prevent contamination and applied a smear of Hermitite Gold (not seen this around for a while but it is a non setting joint compound for fluids/fuels - it is not silicone). Fixed hoses back and prayed for the first few years.

Good luck
Dave
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:21 pm

Thanks, I'll look into that. See if I can maybe get something similar from a motor factors.

• Advertisement