pgoldsmith

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:14 pm

West Moors, Dorset

Remote locking

Postby pgoldsmith » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:40 am

Up until a few weeks ago my remote locking always operated fine.
Recently it started playing up - sometimes it works other times it didnt.
I've changed the three 'watch size' batteries in the Fob and clean the contacts but this made no difference and it continued to work intermittently.
Whether it was a coincidence or not, sometimes it would not work in the morning but after a drive and then opening and closing the door it would spring into life. So I'm thinking if there is a dodgy connector in the door pillar ?

Anyone experience a similar problem ?
:(
User

mitchella

Rank

Non Member

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 am

Penicuik, Scotland

Postby mitchella » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:17 pm

Hi Paul

I'm assuming both doors refuse to open and its not just a lazy solenoid or dodgy wiring to the solenoid. Had similar probs on other Renaults with the PLIP system. As you say - they are usually sorted with a clean of the battery contacts. Sounds like a bad connection by the way it works after the door has been slammed.

Its always worth taking out the receiver module from the roof of the car and cleaning up the contacts.The roof is the sort of place where condensation will collect and drip onto things like that. Also - do you have an alarm that is operated via the car's remote locking? Installation usually involves cutting into the wires that run to/from the receiver in order to intercept the open/close signal and can add another set of connections into the circuit that can become dodgy. From memory - the receiver sends a reasonably long pulse when it senses the correct signal from the handset so you should be able to do some fault tracing with a voltmeter. You could also check that the doors open and close consistently with the interior button and that would all but eliminate any problems with wiring to/from the doors.
User

pgoldsmith

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:14 pm

West Moors, Dorset

Postby pgoldsmith » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:57 pm

Good point Andrew, I noticed the interior door lock switch seems to operate with no problems, so maybe its the receiver in the roof thats playing up.
I do have the original Renault Alarm fitted which I presume was a factory fit so it's probably wired in ok. I never use the alarm though.
User

mitchella

Rank

Non Member

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 am

Penicuik, Scotland

Postby mitchella » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:20 pm

There's a connector block down in the passenger footwell (behind the carpet panel on the side of the console) that is for connecting alarms to. Not sure if the open/close signal goes through that but it's probably worth checking for corrosion or looseness down there as well just in case.

• Advertisement