User

chris

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:31 am

Melbourne , Australia

Broken Valve Spring

Postby chris » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:44 am

My engine has a broken a valve spring again (Yes again) number 5 cyl inlet same as last time .The first time it happened it dropped the valve which bent the rod which smashed the piston to smitherines (is smitherines an English word) which split the sleeve in two and damaged the cylinder head. This time I caught it in time before too much damage was done . It has bent the valve and damaged the valve guide ,hopefully this is all. As I have high lift cams I am using stiffer valve springs 85-90lbs ,1 less coil and 4.3 dia wire as opposed to 4.0 mm as standard . I wont be using these springs again the original are close to coil binding but I think will be ok. I have 9 days left to repair it to be able to drive 1800 km to Queensland for a Renault Alpine weekend. Sorry I wont be able to make it to the GT Battle.
no avatar
User

Alan Moore

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:04 pm

Brisbane Australia

Postby Alan Moore » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:31 am

It would seem the springs are of poor quality, no matter how much you paid for them. Around 80 Lbs on the seat and 240 Lbs on the nose would be fine for a fairly big cam and 7000 Rpm. Interesting it is the same valve.
GTA V6 Turbo
Renault 4CV 16TS Power
BMW 2002 Tii M3 Power

• Advertisement