User

Stuart D

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:41 am

Worton, Wilts

Television Interference

Postby Stuart D » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:08 pm

Here's one for any electronics engineers........

I was working on my GTA (atmo) this afternoon, when a neighbour (across the road) pointed out that every time I'm running the engine, her television goes blank. Not just a fuzzy screen - it just goes black! Her satellite reception is OK but not the terrestial (aerial).

A long discussion ensued, during which it emerged that my car has had this effect on her television for years. I pointed out that the car is standard and it didn't interfere with my televisions and, as far as i was aware, none belonging to any other neighbours. Nonetheless, she is most insistent that it is only my car which causes the problem. Somewhere in the conversation, she mentioned that having a booster on her aerial. I've suggested that she try disconnecting the booster and connecting the television direct to the booster without it. However, she was on her way out but we've agreed to try it tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've checked over my car and the only thing I can find amiss is that the condenser attached to my alternator has broken free (i'e. it remains connected by the lead but the bracket has rusted so it isn't earthed. Could this, alone, be the problem?
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:20 pm

Worth a try, if its not earthed then its not operational. Other than that youll have to buy her a new telly, sell your car, or move house! :lol:
no avatar
User

Stuart D

Rank

Non Member

Worton, Wilts

Postby Stuart D » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:07 pm

Me thinks Mr G is getting far too cheeky! Perhaps I should give her his number and the assurance that he has the most perfect Alpines in the whole of Christendom, and should, therefore, go live with him. She could be a model to help him develop wide bucket seats! :lol:
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:10 am

I take it she's a bit on the wide side!

Truthfully though, my old atmo never had a condensor on the alternator, and it would affect send lines across the tellys we had in the store, and the car was quite a distance away..
no avatar
User

dermotj

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 10, 2004 10:43 am

Postby dermotj » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:34 am

two things guys :

1- there is no way that a car can generate a frequencey that interfers withe uhf - it aint possible

2- is a saturday night and after 1.00 AM AND I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE LAST FEW POSTS HAVE BEEN AFTER MIDNIGHT ON A SATUDAY NIGHT LETS FACE IT this cant happen again unless a few beers are involved - an alpine cannot affect a neighbour unless its noisy or driven reclkessly -i know what your saying not again-but anyway no-one will reply to this so it dont matter - at least i am not biddintg on ebay like peter g - i hope that hes in london next weekend - nes sonds like hes good craic- regards
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:55 pm

..they were Alba's... :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

Stuart D

Rank

Non Member

Worton, Wilts

Postby Stuart D » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:19 pm

I've got two wires from condenser connected to the alternator. Does the body also need to be earthed?
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:47 pm

Yes, the outer casing is a earth, so its needs to be attached with a good clean contact.

• Advertisement