no avatar
User

Justin Wilson

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 15, 2005 7:34 pm

GTA Turbo rear calipers

Postby Justin Wilson » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:11 pm

My 1989 GTA Turbo's rear calipers are both sticking probably through lack of regular use. My car is on the original 15 inch wheels and I want to replace the rear calipers. Do either Renault 25 or 30 rear calipers fit or could anyone advise which caliper the GTA Turbo uses which is generally available.

I'm trying to MOT the car so do not want to uprate the brakes at this point. Any info appreciated. Thanks
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:21 pm

Do a search on these boards and you'll find they are pretty vehicle specific, and expensive, The only other cars that have the same calipers (bar a couple of details) are the Citroen BX (front calipers because the handbrake is on the front) and Peugeot 205 T16 Turbo

Reason why they are quite individual is because they are rear calipers that take up to a 26mm thick disc, and because the main weight of the car is at the back, the calipers are quite substantial, whereas most front engined cars have much thinner rear discs and smaller calipers
no avatar
User

Stuart D

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:41 am

Worton, Wilts

Postby Stuart D » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:33 pm

See below. I've since fitted these and there is absolutely no dobt that they are the the right ones.

Stuart D wrote:Thanks to all for their input.

I received a further email, today, from "Brakes Int Blackburn" <brakes3@zen.co.uk> (Tel: 01254 695695). This one advised that the BC8422x and BC8423x refer to the old unit surcharges. However, they enclosed a couple of pics of the calipers (with bracket/carrier) and they look correct. I've, therefore ordered one and expect delivery on Thursday. Price paid was £122.28, which included delivery, and £20 + VAT which is refundable upon return of the old unit.

I obtained the following details to facilitate any future orders:

RH Rear Caliper (trailing) - pre 1990 - Part No BCA1302
LH Rear Caliper (trailing) - pre 1990 - Part No BCA 1304

RH Rear Caliper (leading) - post 1990 - Part No BCA8585
LH Rear Caliper (leading) - post 1990 - Part No BCA8594

Stuart
no avatar
User

Peter Doyle

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:45 pm

Swindon

Postby Peter Doyle » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:15 am

:?: Justin, probably a stupid question but are you sure the brakes are sticking because of the cylinders?... reason I ask is because I found my rear brake cable was the culprit on my GTA Turbo but first thought I had sticking cylinders when I tried to push these back to release the pads.... These units wind back in and won't compress with leverage!!

..... One good test.... put a block where your pads should be to stop the cylinder shooting completely out and get a pal to depress the pedal,if you get movement, your cylinder is functioning at least somewhat.... I replaced the h/b cable - (from Road Speed - Stroud -£40) and no problem since!

Peter...
no avatar
User

Justin Wilson

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 15, 2005 7:34 pm

Brake Calipers

Postby Justin Wilson » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 am

Thanks all for your info, the calipers were the problem and they looked pretty horrid. I would recommend Brakes International, Blackburn. I called, they had calipers on the shelf and they were sent out the next day, they are listed for the Peugout 205 T16.
I must have caught them on a good day as calipers were £75 +VAT each and £20 surcharge for the exchange units. They look like new although I am doing some other work so havbe not yet tested the car in anger

Justin Wilson

• Advertisement