User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Rolling up the Road

Postby clee » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:13 am

Just discovered why I've been seeing/hearing a lot more turbo/modded motors along my road of late.A newly opened tuning outfit at No 171 :P
They have a 1000 bhp RR and charge £40/session :lol: Now that's what I call handy. One for DG this,the guy said that I can fit a lamba sensor to the exhaust system and he could then also give me the air/fuel readings.I don't know if it's worth doing as they just stick a sensor in there anyway don't they :?:
User

ben

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:43 pm

Grantham

Postby ben » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:32 am

Thats handy!!!! :D

Not much of a job to fit a lamba sensor to the exhaust - did mine a few months back. Give me a shout and ill pop one on yours when your about. The parts cost me about £20 from ebay, this includes a lamba sensor and a nut to fit it to the exhaust.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:37 am

Cheers Ben ,
I'll let you know when I've got the ART system , can put it in before fitting then .Looked on Ebay ,but not sure which type ,seem to be different numbers of wires :?
User

ben

Rank

Non Member

Grantham

Postby ben » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:45 am

You want the one with just one wire for most gauges...
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:09 pm

Anyone fancy a RR Day + BBQ chez moi this summer
http://www.streetracersgd.co.uk/

BYO
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:27 pm

Truthfully, its pretty pointless fitting a lamba sensor and 'gauge', unless its like a SPA unit, or a Techedge which is what I use, but your looking just under £500

Basically, any aftermarket lamba sensor are only 1v sensors (true wide band with controllers are 5v, but these are the expensive type as used by a RR. Basically a 1v sensor can only read a very narrowband of a/f either side of stoichometry (14.7:1 ratio), so they may read down to 14 and up to 16, wheras a true wideband will go down to 9 and upto 18 for example.

Any voltage either side of the 1v tollerance, just shows up as 'rich' or 'lean' on the gauge, but it can't actually show you 'how' rich or lean.

So when you floor a GTA, its just going to show 'fully rich', and when your back throttling, its going to show 'fully lean' as both of these scenarios will be beyond the 1v tollerance of the sensor.

Even if you purchase a wideband 'sensor' such as a Bosch or NGK, which claim to be 'wideband', they will only read the full band if connected to a dedicated controller, if you just wire it up as normal to a A/F gauge, it will only give out a 1v (upto 3v depending on type) signal.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Re: Rolling up the Road

Postby David Gentleman » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:39 pm

clee wrote:Just discovered why I've been seeing/hearing a lot more turbo/modded motors along my road of late.A newly opened tuning outfit at No 171 :P
They have a 1000 bhp RR and charge £40/session :lol: Now that's what I call handy. One for DG this,the guy said that I can fit a lamba sensor to the exhaust system and he could then also give me the air/fuel readings.I don't know if it's worth doing as they just stick a sensor in there anyway don't they :?:

He may have meant you fit a 5 wire lamba sensor to the exhaust, and he can plug his wideband controller into it to give you the readings as the RR, rather than having your own gauge in the car...

This is better than having a lambda probe stuck up the tailpipe at the RR, because the mixture is better right up at the turbo elbow, rather than at the tailpipe where there is more oxygen content and less heat which affects the signal gives it a leaner value.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:09 pm

David Gentleman wrote:Truthfully, its pretty pointless fitting a lamba sensor and 'gauge', unless its like a SPA unit, or a Techedge which is what I use, but your looking just under £500

Basically, any aftermarket lamba sensor are only 1v sensors (true wide band with controllers are 5v, but these are the expensive type as used by a RR. Basically a 1v sensor can only read a very narrowband of a/f either side of stoichometry (14.7:1 ratio), so they may read down to 14 and up to 16, wheras a true wideband will go down to 9 and upto 18 for example.

Any voltage either side of the 1v tollerance, just shows up as 'rich' or 'lean' on the gauge, but it can't actually show you 'how' rich or lean.

So when you floor a GTA, its just going to show 'fully rich', and when your back throttling, its going to show 'fully lean' as both of these scenarios will be beyond the 1v tollerance of the sensor.

Even if you purchase a wideband 'sensor' such as a Bosch or NGK, which claim to be 'wideband', they will only read the full band if connected to a dedicated controller, if you just wire it up as normal to a A/F gauge, it will only give out a 1v (upto 3v depending on type) signal.

Damn ,foiled again, again.It's bloody complicated this moding lark.I'll have a word with the dude and find out what he meant.I've a limited knowledge ,explain it to me and I'll understand, but it's difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff , this site and the people on it,have given me the confidence to try .
Big up S Dell 8) 8) 8)
User

ben

Rank

Non Member

Grantham

Postby ben » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:01 am

Yep!!! :?
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:07 am

http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/mwide.htm

Is this one suitable :?:
not sure if it's worth doing :?:
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:32 am

nope, as I said thats just the sensor. It will give out 5v signal, but all of the cheap A/F gauges on the market only read 1v of it. The expensive controllers read the full 5v wideband and thus give the complete picture..
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:46 am

I know I would need a gauge for in car and this sensor would be OTT ,but is this the right type of sensor needed to hook up to the RR
diagnostic.Could it connect to the ' crappy ' gauge to just give a fault reading ,then for real accuracy plug into a proper test unit .
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:16 pm

Suitable gauge :?:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/GRE16000812

Demon Tweeks want £312 :shock: So bargain :!:
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:36 pm

clee wrote:I know I would need a gauge for in car and this sensor would be OTT ,but is this the right type of sensor needed to hook up to the RR
diagnostic.Could it connect to the ' crappy ' gauge to just give a fault reading ,then for real accuracy plug into a proper test unit .

Yes, fine for a RR, but plugging into into a 'crappy' gauge wont help for fault finding, because as i mentioned above, when you go full throttle the car goes rich on purpose for safety, and it would say 'fully rich' on the gauge, but this would not be a fault with the car...
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:40 pm

clee wrote:Suitable gauge :?:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/GRE16000812

Demon Tweeks want £312 :shock: So bargain :!:

lol, hard to say, just because the gauge will read from 8-16, i dont know if it needs any gizmo inbetween to give it the signals.

You need to find out if the lambda can be wired up straight to the gauge..
Next

• Advertisement