User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

A610 steering wheel controls

Postby mettersl » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:11 am

I've just had a happy evening (not) trying to get the CD player that came in my car to work properly.
It's a Kenwood 3270 with a remote input and has a set of off the shelf adapter leads connecting it to the Alpine (and now the steering controls too). The steering wheel adapter came from Autoleads.
Problem 1 was that the front speakers were reversed- this seems to be a problem with the head unit, and a little cable swapping solved this. The original stereo worked fine- has any one else found this problem on a 610?
Problem 2-is more subtle. The volume controls on the remote work fine, but the other two buttons are now- upper button mode change (standby, CD, Tuner) and the lower button is band change on the tuner (No CD function). These are pretty useless functions whilst driving.
The remote adapter box clams to offer preset switching and CD track advance if I can give it the right input, so I want to alter the wiring to change the inputs to the box.
I spent ages last night on the NET and with a multimeter trying to work out what is required but have drawn a blank. Does anyone have details of the pin out on the DIN connector from the steering controls. This will prevent a further family argument about who is most important in my life- one side the 610!
The Autoleads web site is password protected in this area!!
One day I hope to spend more time driving than fixing the 610- it's fantastic to drive, but every job on it seems to have a hitch......

Many thanks
Lee
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:53 am

Hi Lee

I have an Alpine unit in my car & steering control adaptor. I used the Autoleads adaptor for the headunit power nad speakers but the Alpine adaptor for the stalk control.

If I remember rightly the stalk control fuctions as follows.

Volume: self explanatory.

Thumbwheel: cycles through the tuner presets or selects the CD in the changer.

Top button: changes the source

Bottom button skips tracks when playing a CD. Seeks for a station with the tuner.

No wiring changes were required to get these functions.

However I had exactly the same problem with the speakers. The front/rear and left/right were all reversed and I needed to change all the pins around in the adaptor. This is either a mistake with the autoleads adaptor or the GTA/A610 must have the wiring reversed compared to other cars. It is definately not a problem with the headunit.

• Advertisement