no avatar
User

Gentle Ben

Rank

Non Member

Wed May 25, 2005 10:05 pm

Back again!

Postby Gentle Ben » Mon May 30, 2005 7:36 pm

Well after much deliberation and discussion with those more knowledgable than I am I have decided to give the V6 conversion a miss.

Someone suggested in the other thread a 2.0 8v engine conversion from the Laguna. Does anyone have anymore information on this as I'm very intrigued!

Ben
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Mon May 30, 2005 8:45 pm

Laguna/Megane 2.0 and boxes are the same setup. Same bottom end (physically) as the 1.7 R5/R19 lump, but they are only 115bhp on the 8v models. May as well do the 1.7 turbo lump from the Volvo 480 Turbos.
no avatar
User

Gentle Ben

Rank

Non Member

Postby Gentle Ben » Mon May 30, 2005 9:47 pm

I've heard the Volvo turbo's aren't that tuneable and I'd prefer to tune a naturally aspirated engine.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Mon May 30, 2005 10:33 pm

Yes, but any turbo engine is more tunable that a normally aspirated engine. A standard 480 engine can do 150-170bhp at around 15-16psi boost, on more or less a standard setup, it would cost you thousands on even a 16v Laguna/Williams engine to get this sort of power, and again, it will be a cammy setup as on the Clio/19 16v's
no avatar
User

Gentle Ben

Rank

Non Member

Postby Gentle Ben » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:47 pm

Well, just update everybody, I've sat and had a think and rather than just calling it quits based on theoretical assumptions I've decided to at least give it a good go before throwing the towel in completely.

First thing I'll do when I get the chance is knock up a cardboard replica of the engine, get the 1.4 lump out and see if the cardboard model will fit in. Will be a lot easier to work out what ancilliaries will have to be relocated if necessary and what bodywork mods will have to be done.

Once I've done that I'll be in a better position to decide whether or not to go ahead with it.

Ben
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:29 pm

Fair thinking, though what you have to remember is, though it may fit, driveshafts may be so out of line in the position it is that is makes the whole plan down the drain. Steering rack and driveshafts are the key basics to get right first..

One of our engineers a few years back did a Rover V8 conversion in a Merc 190, he refrabricated all the tunnel, sorted all the engine mounts, etc, move the steering rack, but because the engine was sitting slightly too low and thus where he mounted the rack, it screwed the Ackerman angles up on the steering, so wouldnt work right. Had to be all pulled out again and started from scratch, just from a little oversight.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:15 pm

Ben, why dont you sell your 1.4 19 and buy a restoration project that still works and start from there......I get the impression you may be running before youve learned to walk.

• Advertisement