clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Tins

Postby clee » Thu May 26, 2005 10:42 am

With all these club stands in the future I need to do some local
touching-up on my Pearly White 168 at least.Where could I get some cans ,will it be a Renault only item :?: I've got a contact who will make up cans but needs a RGB ( red/green/blue) ref.
User

ben

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:43 pm

Grantham

Postby ben » Thu May 26, 2005 11:48 am

Halfords do a paint mixing service now. Its pretty good actually, matched my colour spot on and it comes in much better cans with a decent spraying nozzel.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu May 26, 2005 12:21 pm

I need to do the passenger door,was thinking that it will be better to do the
whole door rather than trying to blend the local area .Also a corner of the bumper .It could really do with a full respray I suppose, as the roof has been slightly discoloured by sap from next doors cherry tree but at the minute thats not poss :cry:
User

mitchella

Rank

Non Member

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 am

Penicuik, Scotland

Postby mitchella » Thu May 26, 2005 12:40 pm

I'd be very careful if you're trying to patch in small areas in a metalic or pearlescent paint - you might end up regretting it. I've had several tins of "custom" paint that supposedly matched my metallic grey but they are just not right. A lot has to do with things like the the consisitency of the paint/thinner (which you can't control if its in a tin) and the conditions in which you spray. Even if the colour itself is correct, you can get a very different metallic/pearlescent effects from what you intended and they just stick out like a sore thumb. I'd try a few bits of scrap metal or card to make sure that the colour and effect is close enough to the original otherwise you may end up with a bit of a patchwork quilt like I've got - no stonechips mind you!. Laquer also plays an important part in some of these finishes, so you need to ensure that the finish, including laquer, is what you want - if the effect requires a laquer that is.

I think there are some instructions regarding the re-finishing of pearlescent paint in the bodywork section of the Workshop manual but I'm away from home just now so I can't look.

Good luck
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu May 26, 2005 12:58 pm

Yes ,I've heard that it's a a pig to get right ,which is why I was thinking, do the whole door.The door has been opened into something and it's got a bodged repair ,not to big, but it keeps looking at me :evil: I might get some prices for it , don't get it right , don't get paid .
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu May 26, 2005 1:17 pm

Pearl white is difficult to get right. Base coat, pearl coat & laquer.

Nat (natman) recently had his front bumper painted and that came out OK. Colour very slightly too yellow though. Might not have been be done too far from you if you ask him.

Paul just painted Shadis front bumper, LH side & mirrors and the colour match was spot on. Improved the car no end. Too far from you though!
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu May 26, 2005 2:15 pm

stephendell wrote:
Paul just painted Shadis front bumper, LH side & mirrors and the colour match was spot on. Improved the car no end. Too far from you though!

That depends on how much I,m getting done.For a door ,yes.But for a bit more.I,d rather do the travelling and know it will be right.It needs a few bits doing to get it really sorted but not a full respray.Nearside door,both ali mounting blocks for mirrors,bumper and roof . Stone chipped nose as well I suppose.All paint ,no damage of any note.
Had my rad changed out on my previous car at Pauls,it was a trip, I went
the long way round the M25 to avoid cooking the thing in London traffic .
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Thu May 26, 2005 8:24 pm

i have just had my pearl 168 gta painted....... 1/4 panel, door and wing. turned out spot on against the front and rear bumpers and rear spoiler, all edge to edge areas! used max mayer scheme.
:)
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri May 27, 2005 7:43 am

simonsays74 wrote:i have just had my pearl 168 gta painted....... 1/4 panel, door and wing. turned out spot on against the front and rear bumpers and rear spoiler, all edge to edge areas! used max mayer scheme.
:)

Who he then :?: Have you got any codes for the match :?:
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri May 27, 2005 7:56 am

Maxicar HS :?:
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Fri May 27, 2005 8:54 am

max mayer is the make of the paint, phone around your paint suppliers/ motor factors. there are only two choices on the colour chips, one is 168r, the r being for a slightly more red tint. also buy the best lacqure that you can afford as the cheaper ones have a slightly yellow tint to them.

• Advertisement