Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:36 pm

It did overheat in a major way, blocked rad.3 months later ,excessive reving at tickover caused by expanded water hosing let me know the damage.According to my guy it wasn't warped to a great extent but you never know.I should really have a look at the top end to see if there's any sign of damage tho, it has done 5k since the skim.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:27 pm

If its done 5k then it should be ok. Renault recommend replacement, rather than skimming the head, because the cam carrier is in the top of the head, if its that warped, then the cam and carriers will wear them selves out vey quickly once reassembled. After 5k miles, if your not hearing many unsavourable noises aor having any problems, it may have been only slight damage to the heads. Many engineers just resurface heads to be on the safe side.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:04 pm

Well ,not much to report really.Dropped my car off @ 9.30, had a word with the man, telling him what I needed looking at and why.He made all the right noises regarding the head skim,then took the thing away for a looksee, saying should be about about an hour.The garage is at another unit.Just around the corner there's a cafe,so off I went for a
FAT bar steward BREKKY :D
Got back and was still there @12.So two hours or so.Anyway, he check the sensors ,all OK but for the coolant temp circuit ,poss wiring fault?
Engine very good with little or no blowby, only a bit tappetty on one .
Good oil pressure.
Turbo showing signs of wear but OK, would not suggest more boost tho, running about 12 psi (according to BBR bumf ). Intercoller hoses are both chuffed ,but knew that anyway.
So thats it.Pleased with the service, as they did as I asked and had a no nonsense approach.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:52 pm

How about a nice set of Samco's 8)
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:18 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Sammmmmmmmmmco( In a Homer styly)
Only need the intercooler and short DV pipe as I want a DG power system.
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Duff and Pork chops

Postby Tony Smith » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:25 pm

You can buy alot of Duff Beer and Pork chops for the price of the Samco kit. And you will have to buy the full set they won't split them.
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:43 pm

clee wrote:Got back and was still there @12.So two hours or so.Anyway, he check the sensors ,all OK but for the coolant temp circuit ,poss wiring fault?

What was up with it? Was it reading wrong, or was it reading open circuit? If the coolant circuit has a fault, you wont believe what a difference it does to the performance of the car! :twisted: :D
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:10 pm

And you will have to buy the full set they won't split them.

They won't but I know a man that can 8)
User

LiamMcShane

Rank

Non Member

Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:39 pm

Shenzhen, China

Postby LiamMcShane » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:31 am

How much is a set of Samco hoses?

I have a contact for a fella in England who does replica Samco hoses (without the branding) and they're made of the same stuff. He'll also make one-offs. Let me know if anyone needs them.
'88 GTA V6 Turbo

http://www.perfect-display.com.cn
Perfect Display Technology Company Ltd, Shenzhen
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:03 am

If you check Davids site he has them listed, round about the £275 mark for the turbo set. If you can get replicas made cheap I'd be interested. Let me know how much theyre likely to be and I will rob someone for the money! :lol:
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:34 am

peter, just a suggestion, if it is the Turbo inlet pipe you are after. I guess you are running an open DV and I guess you have the oil breater going into a catch tank???
If so I think all you need is a straight pipe from the corner mounted pipe to the turbo.
Looking at DGs Power intage system, there is just a very short, 3-5 cm piece of silicon pipe joining to the turbo.
Looking at DGs power intake system II looks like a coiled ducting pipe has been used, (no idea how strong it needs to be though).
Perhaps you could make up a straight pipe sthough pipe with enough strength to achieve an answer. Only REAL problem is if it fails and debris gets sucked into your turbo.
Paul Sage told me that the europa cup cars ran a solid pipe instead of the silicone ones, but they ran on flat surfaced tracks and did not need the flexability for engine movement as a road car.
So maybe you could get a solid tube and just use the ends of the flexible pipe you have to make the joints? Worth a try or at least some more thought?
I know, you really want a sexy samco set to make the engine bay look good as you are running without an angine cover.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:56 am

How much is a set of Samco hoses?

I have a direct account with Samco. Prices are all here:

http://www.renaultalpine.co.uk/hoses.htm

Can do all the new clip kits and race parts too.

Possibility of discounts for members very soon. :D
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:20 am

Possibility of discounts for members very soon.

Site :evil: or club :shock:
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:29 am

simontaylor wrote:Paul Sage told me that the europa cup cars ran a solid pipe instead of the silicone ones, but they ran on flat surfaced tracks and did not need the flexability for engine movement as a road car.

:roll: , they actually ran the standard Renault rubber items, and the Cup cars ran harder shore engine mounts, so there wouldnt have been much movement whatever the surface.

User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:07 pm

Simon.....still have the standard intake set up with the oil pipe plugged in...the only changes are that I binned the whole filter box, fitted a foam sock over the end of the pipe and ran ducting from under the car to provide better cold air feed. What I really want are the sexy charge hoses to make it look nice! Where does the Europa cup car in the picture get its air from.....it appears to go to the back of the engine bay???
PreviousNext

• Advertisement