User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Headlamp glass

Postby clee » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:00 am

I finally got round to removing both knackered covers this weekend.They came out fairly easy from the front.I have some polycarb replacements that look ok so will install these.Looking thro the manual it says that you
can do this without having to strip the front end down ( no garage/shit weather & 4 panels to take off and reinstall ) Has anyone done it this way :?: seems sensible to me .
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:10 am

Also , when I had my windscreen replaced, the nice RAC man left some mastic and also a pot of primer :lol: The primer is a Urethane activator ,
will this be ok to use on the nosecone :?:
User

ben

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:43 pm

Grantham

Postby ben » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:02 am

I did mine (your old one) without taking the front end off. It wasnt too bad, the worst part was getting all the old glue off. I got a stanley knife and ran the blade through the glue between the lense and nose-cone. I took some time and effort, but eventually came out ok. You do need to remove the light clusters to position the new lenses and that makes them far easier to install and hold in place while the new addesive is curing... I would be very careful about what you try to stick them in with, as it took me ages to find the correct addesive. I can't remember what the stuff i used is called now, but i have still got the tube, so ill let you know when i get home today.
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:04 am

if you removed the old glass ones that are not flexible through the front without any stripping them why do you not fit the new flexible ones in the same manner? :? i have used clear silicon sealer to bond in the lens with no problems, and it also easier to clean up, unlike windscreen bonding.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:26 am

The new covers are 6 mil thick and just as rigid as the old glass ones.
I'm sure it can be done tho, its just making sure they are held firmly enough whilst curing.
User

pgoldsmith

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:14 pm

West Moors, Dorset

Postby pgoldsmith » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:39 am

Insert an old inner tube in the space between the lens and headlamp, gently pump it up and it should help to hold the lens whilst the mastic cures.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:16 pm

Use proper black windscreen adhesive if you can (tiger seal or similar). Clear silicone sealant can go off over time and lose it's bond.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:39 pm

The stuff I've aquired from having my screen done is DOW Betaseal 1402 an adhesive /sealant .It was the priming compound that I had doubts about as it may damage the nose .
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:42 pm

Instead of using an innertube, I've got two junior Space Hoppers that will do the job :lol: Will let you know the results.
User

ben

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:43 pm

Grantham

Postby ben » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:10 pm

The addesive i used is called Loctite auto Flexibond...
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:23 pm

Due to my GTA disagreeing with a pile of tyres I now also need to make plexi glass covers! What did you use as a template?
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:17 am

They came with the car when I bought it.I haven't installed them yet tho,so
if you need a template let me know.They were made by a display company and cost £80 back in 2000.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:04 pm

Have now removed the old covers (1broken 1 not) and have a pair of plexiglass replacements on the way. Its a complete nightmare getting all the glass out and what the hell did the frogs use when they fitted them originally??? :shock: Its blunted 1/2 a dozen Stanley blades and I'm not finished!!!!
When I do refit them, in what order should I do things? I have a vision of tigerseal getting everywhere if I'm not careful!
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:27 pm

I haven't done mine yet but , mask both the lens and immediate area around the aperture.Remove indicator and headlight units,insert new cover and then apply sealant.I also have some 'suckers' that I can use to hold/pull the cover into position externally.I used a small paint scrapper to cut through the sealant as it was a tough little effer ,the stiffer the better.
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:34 pm

I don't know if it's done the same way, but I watched a german friend replace his on an A310. He used a hairdryer to warm the edges, a stanley knife to make a hole in the sealant and then slipped a cheese wire through and gently pulled it around the lens. Lots of thiners to clean the glass. I don't remember him having to clean the paint but that could be my memory...
When he put the new one in he followed the instructions to the letter and made a point to mention that the glue must be left for xx (can't remember) minutes before mating the surfaces. He used some of those cheap towel hangers with the suckers on (6 i think), available at the nearest pound shop and some string.

But maybe it's different with a GTA.....
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
Next

• Advertisement