Renault & Alpine General Discussion
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Wed May 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Sometimes the green grommet is retained by the crimp for the wire insulation and you can't remove it .I've found this to be the case a few times .......mainly the TDC sensor :lol:
Attack the barbs with a pin , long thin needle required and a lot of patience .Nice idea with the tube John , you ought to flog them :wink:
Last edited by clee on Wed May 04, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Wed May 04, 2011 5:02 pm

double post
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Wed May 04, 2011 8:11 pm

clee wrote:Nice idea with the tube John , you ought to flog them :wink:

If you knew how long it took me to get it exactly right rolling it on a 3mm drill bit, you would not be suggesting such a thing :lol: :lol: :lol:
With regard to the grommet being gripped by the crimp, I have not come across that, but in fact, it does not really matter if its fixed or not, the wire will come out anyway once the barbs are released.
I notice, in your pic, that one side of the pin has popped out of it hooked end of the other side of the pin, for anyone who finds this has happened, do not try to bend up the hooked side with a view to re bending it over the other side of the pin.....it will break off, move it sideways to clear, and pass it back, and slip it into the hooked end, bend it back sideways if necessary..... job done. :wink:
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
no avatar
User

Jon K

Rank

Non Member

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Winchester

Postby Jon K » Wed May 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Thanks for the pictures.

I managed to get them out and swap over the heat shielding.

I was able to get a new sensor from my local motor factors so it is all done now. Makes a nice change to not have to wait a few days for the postman.

I need to do the thermostat next so I guess it is an order to Germany for that as my friendly local Renault man told me today that they have none in stock and none in France.
User

jonc

Rank

Non Member

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:08 am

Oxfordshire

Postby jonc » Wed May 04, 2011 9:32 pm

I got mine from Germany - only 20 or so Euros
Make sure to get the new rubber seal (1.50 euro or so) to go with it.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Wed May 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Jon K wrote:I need to do the thermostat next so I guess it is an order to Germany for that as my friendly local Renault man told me today that they have none in stock and none in France.

Yes, unless you take the old stat out, and take it to the Motor Factor and see if they have an exact copy, including the disc underneath. If it is not the same physically, get it from Simon Autos.....do not compromise. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jon K

Rank

Non Member

Winchester

Postby Jon K » Thu May 05, 2011 8:18 am

Ordered the Thermostat (and seal) from Simon Auto this morning.

When the old one is out I wonder if it is worth visiting a couple of factors to see if I can identify a suitable replacement for future reference.

Seems like a fairly common job to do given the age of the cars.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Thu May 05, 2011 8:22 am

Jon K wrote:When the old one is out I wonder if it is worth visiting a couple of factors to see if I can identify a suitable replacement for future reference.

Would be an interesting exercise Jon. If you do, let us know how you get on.
User

jonc

Rank

Non Member

Oxfordshire

Postby jonc » Thu May 05, 2011 12:09 pm

I have a feeling that the ones from Simon Auto are some form of aftermarket part. Didn't look 100% the same as my old one in terms of all the technical details inscribed on it. The old one has manufacturer name and multiple inscriptions about it being for 88C. The new one just had a single 88C on it, I think.
Whether Simon has had some made up, I don't know, but it does suggest to me that we might be able to find an aftermarket alternative. Mind you, I tried that for the TDC sensor and my local guys couldn't find any match.

Works fine, though. Should have done this years ago!

BTW, got my heat proof sleeving from Merlin Motorsport. Need to trim it down from the 1m I had to get but luckily the 20mm sleeve fits over the connector, albeit quite snuggly, so I won't have to take the connector apart.
no avatar
User

Jon K

Rank

Non Member

Winchester

Postby Jon K » Thu May 05, 2011 1:39 pm

Jon, I just got my TDC sensor from a factors. He had the Alpine one listed as obsolete and there was a picture of it with the heat shield on. I then said he should have a regular one without the shielding for R25 etc.

He checked this out and hey presto. I checked this physically with mine and the fit and position was all correct, in it went and it is fine.

The main reason I changed mine is the wires were a bit chewed up at the connector and I have a small running problem when going onto boost (which I will probably elaborate on in another thread after I have checked out all of the obvious things).

Europarts have them listed as well with a 16 quid one also. I was not prepared to try that and I wanted to compare the part before I handed over any money.
User

jonc

Rank

Non Member

Oxfordshire

Postby jonc » Sun May 08, 2011 6:09 pm

Another quick update:

Got the sleeving on the sensor. Just need to get the sensor in the car :lol:

tdc shielded by Jonathan, on Flickr
User

jonc

Rank

Non Member

Oxfordshire

Postby jonc » Fri May 13, 2011 10:52 am

Last update on this (I hope).

New TDC sensor in place now and the engine didn't cut out when things got hot testing it on the drive. Managed to get the radiator fan to cut in, go off and back in and off again and it was still running (a lot longer than it did before).

Thanks to everyone for their help, advice and suggestions.

Jon
no avatar
User

Jeremy

Rank

Non Member

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Northern ireland

Re: Crank sensor / TDC Sensor

Postby Jeremy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:12 am

Hi all, I have looked at this thread and also spoke to Renault parts... the guy wasn’t born when my alpine was made! Lol He was able to give me the part number, they are available but not in uk or France. £75 +vat.
I’m fairly certain it’s the same as the Renault 25 turbo, so have ordered one for £15 to give it a go. Any thought thoughts?
no avatar
User

Dave Williams

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Surrey

Re: Crank sensor / TDC Sensor

Postby Dave Williams » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Simon Autos have them..quite quick to deliver..you will need some heat shield...

I have a pin extractor tool ..makes light work of taking the pins out and plastic plug body..so you can slide the heat shield over.
Or just get some wider stuff that slides over the plug.

Re the R25.. pretty sure there was some past discussion about offsets.. (of the sensor on the bracket) the position may vary slightly.. can't remember the outcome..as Lee mentioned, think Martin knows. EDIT.. yes...it got a mention in this very thread above. .but no definitive answer..

Also...the red to white..white to red cabling is key to success ..
Previous

• Advertisement