Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:47 am

clee wrote:Have to agree ...Structural glue my asp,it aint F1 technology now is it :lol: Big bits of metal bolted or welded together is structural .

I'm with you on this one mucker! :wink:
no avatar
User

Rank

Non Member

Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:10 pm

Pontypridd South Wales

Postby 108002917 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:09 pm

Simon,

I will try and get you the information sometime tomorrow. After your last message I checked on the progress of the new turrets and they were looking good.

I managed to get the original turret from my local dealer in Cardiff after approx. a 3 week wait, after it came from Dieppe. It was quite dusty so had been there for sometime!! I can't remember which side it was, but I will get you photos and part numbers tomorrow.

I will also get you sizes of all the relevant sections to enable you to manufacture some. I don't think that there is a square corner on any of the sections, so you will definitely need the dimensions. I have had some made out of stainless, but mild steel should last another 20 years or so!!!
You will be able to make a pair, by reversing the templates accordingly.

It is good to see all the comments relative to the criticality of the turrets, although I haven't seen any that show an easy way of removing them!!!! C'mon you guys, someone must have removed them?

I am not sure I understood Paul Sage's response, I am sure that it must have been taken out of context. The pockets are obviously a link between the sub-frame and the roll over bar and are there to provide some rigidity. The gauge of the material ( .100" thick) suggests that alone. Fibreglass is strong in many ways, but would not have been designed to create the kind of rigidty that the bolted structure provides.

Cheers,

Jeff
no avatar
User

Rank

Non Member

Pontypridd South Wales

Postby 108002917 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:58 pm

Simon,

The turret that is available from Renault is the offside part number 6001005413. I am going to attach a file showing the templates for making up one. If it make it easier for you I can always send you a paper copy which will be to scale. If you need to make the other side, just make the same pieces and reverse them when you put them together. Also attached are some images of the renault part (black) and the new stainless one that has been made
If you have any questions at all, please call me on my mobile : 079883620187.

I have just failed in trying to attach the images and the file with the template on!!!! You can either send me your e-mail address and I will send them to you, or explain how you add a file to the response??

Jeff
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:34 pm

Jeff you need to "host" your picture on photobucket or similar they are free to join. That will then get you a url, for example

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u256 ... rancho.jpg

Then you put the IMG button in front and at the end to create:

[img]your%20url[/img]

Hope this helps, Talbot Rancho from Prescott BTW :wink:
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:34 pm

BIG_MVS wrote:Jeff you need to "host" your picture on photobucket or similar they are free to join. That will then get you a url, for example

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u256 ... rancho.jpg

Then you put the IMG button in front and at the end to create:

[img]your%20url[/img]

Its even easier than that on photobucket, once you have uploaded your pic, under the pic you should see "customise link", click this, and you get a choise of 4 boxes to tick :
1 Share URL....
2 Direct link....
3 HTML code....
4 Img code....

I have ticked 2 & 4, these will appear under each pic or document each time you upload one. All you have to do is left click the "IMG code..." it will beiefly show "copied", return to the forum, and right click & paste the code to the cursor.
In the Avatar`s case, use 2, Direct link. it works for me :wink:
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
no avatar
User

scottydog

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:35 pm

Bedfordshire.

Postby scottydog » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:24 pm

I am not sure I understood Paul Sage's response, I am sure that it must have been taken out of context.

I can promise that Pauls comments weren't taken out of context as he e-mailed me later as well. However....

I received another e-mail from Paul today and he's let me know that he's done some further investigating and he's in agreement that they are structural.

Jeff - thanks for taking the time to put together the plans :D
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:33 pm

scottydog wrote:
I received another e-mail from Paul today and he's let me know that he's done some further investigating and he's in agreement that they are structural.

Bloody hell, that's a Gordon Brown type U Turn!!

Can we get any input from French owners maybe? They must have come across this problem as well? Anyone speak/write good french and want to ask the question on FAR?
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:30 pm

Ask what ? If it's structural ?
I'll give me mate Eiffel a bell :roll:
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00 pm

clee wrote:Ask what ? If it's structural ?
I'll give me mate Eiffel a bell :roll:

No I think we have agreed it's structural, I mean have the French people tried to repair/fix the problem and could give good advice?

One car in the UK as far as we know has had an attempted repair but failed unless someone else has done it?
User

Stunned Monkey

Rank

Non Member

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:24 am

Nr Chippenham, Wiltshire

Postby Stunned Monkey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:06 pm

If talking about the car that I was involved with (didn't do the work myself) then the welding held up just fine (at the bottom of the turret where it meets the subframe mount)... the turret failed soon afterward. I've since had similar rusty sections replaced on a different car, no problems to report (box bits just fine)
Martin - PRV Tinkerererer
www.delorean.co.uk
no avatar
User

Rank

Non Member

Pontypridd South Wales

Postby 108002917 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks for all your help providing me with the information to upload images - I think I now have the technology!!!

Simon, I am going to attempt to attach the files including my sketches for making one.
I hope that it is legible when it is attached. If not feel free to call me on my mobile and if it helps I can always post you a copy (which is to scale), so that you could cut it up and use as a direct pattern.

Let me know how you get on.

Jeff
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:32 pm

Well done Jeff.
Next time you have muntipal images to transfer, press return between each transfer into the forum, and the pic will appear below the last :wink:
John
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:59 pm

they look great, good luck with the fitting. :)
no avatar
User

scottydog

Rank

Non Member

Bedfordshire.

Postby scottydog » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:20 pm

The plan and pic's are fantastic - thanks Jeff. :D

Good luck with the fitting. Getting those old bolts out is not going to be easy. These sections would have benefitted by a plastic plug or something similar over the open end to keep the crud and water away.

If it stops raining for ten minutes this weekend I'm going to start spraying penetrating oil around the bolts. Maybe a few applications over a few days will help.

BTW....Paul Sage has recommended not using my car too much until I've got this sorted out. I don't suppose it's about to fall apart - I've done quite a lot of miles with it in that condition without even knowing the section had disintegrated - but I thought I should mention that. Probably not a bad idea to play it safe anyway.
no avatar
User

scottydog

Rank

Non Member

Bedfordshire.

Postby scottydog » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:41 am

Something else Paul mentioned as an alternative, a strut brace. Found this on David Gentlemans site....

http://www.alpinerenaulttuning.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_53&products_id=38

Any views on this as a pemanent fix?
PreviousNext

• Advertisement