Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

User

Stunned Monkey

Rank

Non Member

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:24 am

Nr Chippenham, Wiltshire

Postby Stunned Monkey » Fri May 23, 2008 10:19 am

JohnC wrote: The fact there is no compression on No. 1 at the moment, is to be expected with the camshaft 180` out.

No - it just puts the right bank in exact phase with the left bank. #1 is at firing stroke at the same time as #5.

Lee, check compression with the rocker cover off. The clearance between the tops of the tappets and the cover is tiny and you did say that your #1 exhaust tappet is sticking out further than all the others.

When it comes to putting the chains on, just follow the manual...
Martin - PRV Tinkerererer
www.delorean.co.uk
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri May 23, 2008 10:23 am

Hi Martin .Covers are off ,well on with no bolts when I'm cranking .It's not clashing on the cover .
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri May 23, 2008 11:04 am

Just checked 360 round and both 1 and 5 are fully closed .I followed the manual Martin ,the sprocket marks line up :? :?
User

Stunned Monkey

Rank

Non Member

Nr Chippenham, Wiltshire

Postby Stunned Monkey » Fri May 23, 2008 3:55 pm

clee wrote:.I followed the manual Martin ,the sprocket marks line up :? :?

Yer, not just that bit :)

Are you going to Prescott tomorrow? (obviously not in White Lightning, but anyway?)
www.delorean.co.uk
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri May 23, 2008 3:59 pm

Safest to start again I think .I shall time both banks and test in-situ first.Ive marked up a spare chain drive sprocket to use to set the starting angles .This doesn't rely on TDC as a starting point , just the woodruff keyway in the crank .
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri May 23, 2008 4:08 pm

Stunned Monkey wrote:
clee wrote:.I followed the manual Martin ,the sprocket marks line up :? :?

Yer, not just that bit :)

Are you going to Prescott tomorrow? (obviously not in White Lightning, but anyway?)

No .Going up north to the outlaws for a family type thing ,so will get feck all done Sat :roll: Sunday/Monday sort the BTS .
Looking at the weather forecast you'd be better of going in one of these :wink: :lol:
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Fri May 23, 2008 7:13 pm

clee wrote:Safest to start again I think .I shall time both banks and test in-situ first.Ive marked up a spare chain drive sprocket to use to set the starting angles .This doesn't rely on TDC as a starting point , just the woodruff keyway in the crank .

Lee, I dont know what manual you are using, but being boored this afternoon, I had a look at RAOC sites "Technical Help", and under "PRV Engine" then "General Engine Manual" I came across the "Refitting timing gear for both Offset, and Equidistant crankpins". From memory I think the GTA Turbo has Offset Crankpins. It is very comprensive, and if your manual is not the same as this one, it might be worth having a look. Scroll down to about an inch from the bottom, where you will find the info. There is an extremly good final check before replacing the timing case, which if your sprokets line up like the pictures, would put your mind at rest before replacing the engine back in the car. If your manual is the same as this one, please disregard this post.
John.
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri May 23, 2008 7:40 pm

My sprocket marks line up as per the manual check .I followed the same procedure this time as the last two .I had to move the chain 1 tooth on 456 after initial fitting .Wound it round and all good but ..................The sequence is different I'm sure .That's the main reason I'm :?
I dunno Jon ,summit's up somewhere .
Last time it ran was on an aftermarket ECU and it only ran on a mishmashed combination of maps and not very well .I may have a rouge component somewhere is my thought for this hour

:lol: :lol:
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Fri May 23, 2008 8:13 pm

clee wrote:My sprocket marks line up as per the manual check ...........Last time it ran was on an aftermarket ECU and it only ran on a mishmashed combination of maps and not very well .I may have a rouge component somewhere is my thought for this hour
:lol: :lol:

Does your manual check tie up with the RAOC PRV manual check, because at the end of the day your problem is 1 and 5 on the rock together, and 360` later on compression together, which is clearly not right. I would`nt worry about the ECU bit at the moment, until you`ve cracked the camshaft bit first. Is the engine out of the car yet?
User

Stunned Monkey

Rank

Non Member

Nr Chippenham, Wiltshire

Postby Stunned Monkey » Fri May 23, 2008 10:11 pm

I'm setting up an engine on tuesday. Shall I take photos?

Lee, it sounds like you spun the crank 360 after doing one chain, then lined up the marks and put the second chain on. You must only move the crank the specified amount between the first and second chains. Then check both together.
www.delorean.co.uk
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat May 24, 2008 7:23 am

I know that ,but you may be right .I can't remember doing it though ...............
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat May 24, 2008 9:06 am

Interference definitely .
Only by about 2.50 mm :shock: :lol:
I will measure up lift etc when I get 5 mins .
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun May 25, 2008 11:02 am

Plot thickens ...........The sprocket marks do indeed line up but after only 90 degrees :?
456 aligned ,90 deg ,123 aligned 630 starts again :lol:
I'm sure if I sat and thunked for long enough I could fathom what that would result in but ..................
All chains off in -situ ,watch the GP then re-time time .
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun May 25, 2008 3:58 pm

clee wrote:Plot thickens ...........The sprocket marks do indeed line up but after only 90 degrees :?
456 aligned ,90 deg ,123 aligned 630 starts again :lol:

Lee
My information is that you only have to turn the the crank 90 degrees to do the check.. My info is that with 456 aligned ie. the marks on the crank sprocket are pointing at the 456 cam sproket (on centerline) the mark on the cam sprocket is pointing AWAY from the crank again on the centerline.
Turn the crank thru the "V" (90 degrees ?) The crank sprocket marks are now pointing at the 123 cam sprocket, but the marks on the cam sprocket are now pointing TOWARDS the crank sprocket, again both on the centerline.
For my own piece of mind can you confirm that this was the case on your motor? I dont want any more sleepless nights on this one :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Good Luck on the re-time.
John
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun May 25, 2008 4:18 pm

ImageImage

They both lined up pointing towards the crank :oops: :oops: Ahhh well ,at least I know now .Just looked at the book again .................
Thanks Jon ,sometimes I can't see for looking .I'll find out soon if I have compression back on # 1 .I'm not hopeful .
PreviousNext

• Advertisement