User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Re: brake servo

Postby darrenbiggs » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:17 am

Do check the condition of pads and disks before you leap Brian. Standard GTA setup is pretty good but is no where near as over servoed as a lot of cars so can feel lacklustre.

Also how big are your shoes? Seriously some people find they're catching on the footwell or hitting two pedals at once.

You can always get uprated pads. Look for something where they publish the friction coefficient though so you can compare. I had EBC on the car for a while and whilst they were meant to be an upgrade I thought they were awful.

It's a lot cheaper to experiment with pad and fluid change first before making any big monetary commitments.

Good luck and report back whatever you do.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:37 pm

Ordering calipers from Hi-Spec is quick and easy, it's the other bits that cause issues as Mr Holt & Mr Law can testify.

Club shop ,professionally run is what is required and I don't mind doing it but we all know the problem

As some of you will know I am under immense personal pressure at the moment (you may have noticed I am hardly on the forum) and that will mean some changes so you may get your wish sooner than you expect.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

brian

Rank

Non Member

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:45 pm

suffolk

Postby brian » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:08 pm

thats a good point you make darrenbiggs . i had a evening at snetterton track last month and found the brakes wanting ( i had put green pads on) after just 3 laps they started to fade due to heat build up. at least two of the caliper were sticking on so im having all 4 reconditioned should be back tomorrow we will see if any better. but im thinking there is no substitute for larger discs as i think they wiil disperse the heat better ?. ill take and post some pick tomorrow .
I'm on a steep learning curve
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:58 pm

stephendell wrote:Ordering calipers from Hi-Spec is quick and easy, it's the other bits that cause issues as Mr Holt & Mr Law can testify.

Club shop ,professionally run is what is required and I don't mind doing it but we all know the problem

As some of you will know I am under immense personal pressure at the moment (you may have noticed I am hardly on the forum) and that will mean some changes so you may get your wish sooner than you expect.

I'll just say this then un hijack the thread ,sorry Brian .
As said numerous times ,let me have the clubs authority to go direct and I will take all the hassle off your shoulders as far as this is concerned .I have 3 people shouting at me for stuff and that means I have to kick it along the supply chain .I don't even know if anything has actually been ordered .Pressure this end as well ,I just need to get on with stuff .
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:57 pm

Had a set of calipers on order for months and months + 3 sets of Spax but TBH I'm now past chasing them .
Club shop ,professionally run is what is required and I don't mind doing it but we all know the problem :Mass

Clee, was that a full set, or just fronts? I could tap Keri up again and see if he has changed his mind? Have a look at the '310, think it's got a seperate handbrake caliper?

Martin
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:49 am

Needed for 610 mate not GTA .
User

John Law

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:41 am

London

Postby John Law » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:07 am

Hi Brian,

The GTA brakes are one of the worst things about the car in my opinion. They are simply not up to scratch. Its definitely worth upgrading if you plan to drive your car hard at track days etc.

If you do decide to order a kit through the club it can be up to 2 months until they are ready for collection. I have sold 5 kits so far this year and designed and sold a new kit for a four stud 1980 A310 which took a lot longer as it needed new brackets and fittings. Testing the brakes out at the circuit in Abbeville last year we could not get the brakes to overheat or fade at all, they work really well.

I will shortly be finishing a new FIA approved AP Monte Carlo caliper kit being finished off which will be more expensive but a shorter turnaround.

Cheers,

John.
JL Engineering UK, follow us at facebook.com/jlengineeringuk.
twitter- jlengineeringuk
instagram- jlengineeringuk
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:13 pm

Up to two months ? Feck me it must be who you know .Been waiting over 8 for mine .Bloody Southern Alpeen hipsters .Us Northern monkeys get short shrift or what :crazy
User

pgoldsmith

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:14 pm

West Moors, Dorset

Postby pgoldsmith » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:06 pm

Remind me..

Is there an upgrade option that doesn't involve changing the original rims?
I like my rims, but I would like upgraded calipers.
GTA Turbo 1991 - Stratos blue
User

John Law

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:41 am

London

Postby John Law » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:19 pm

In the past I have had massive delays due to Hi Spec having problems or upgrading machines etc and it super frustrating, I tend to go and pay them a visit and give them a few calls to keep them on the boil as its only 35 minutes from me. Are you after A610 brakes?

There is no current option for standard wheels unless its a Le mans.
JL Engineering UK, follow us at facebook.com/jlengineeringuk.
twitter- jlengineeringuk
instagram- jlengineeringuk
Previous

• Advertisement